What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

NewdestinyX

pianoman said:
Why is a Fasting BG a "a vitally important indicator of overall D control"?
I edited my post to more clearly state: "a vitally important number in the calculation of overall D control". So good challenge there. Thanks. It gives the starting point so that you can actually calculate the 'total point rise between it and the 2hrPP number. Blood glucose management basics require a person be able to find a peak rise. That requires 2 numbers - a fasting and a post meal point. People learn about DawnP usually in the first week of joining forums or from their Diabetes educators.

Each BG is a single reading that does not tell me if my BG is rising, falling or steady... the overall picture is what I see as important. Focusing only on Fasting BG -- which too many Doctors seem to do -- can lose that perspective.
In my opening post I set up the idea that people give thought as to 'why' they got the number they did -- helping them to look to answers like DawnP or what they ate before bed. Most have noted it's been very helpful so far. It's in no way a competition nor was it worded to be. It would only go that way if the 'fires were stoked' in that direction by some. Fortunately it hasn't happened so far and a moderator has already given guidelines to steer clear of that anyway.

We are all different and I share a concern voiced by others here that threads like this can end up being a "competition" and also a frustrating disincentive for some new folks who fail to see as good numbers as others.
And yet it hasn't been a competition at all so far and the respect level's been very high. It's turning out to be a very popular thread for people with many different numbers - some pretty low and some high - but all sharing info. That's what a forum is about in my view.

Reactions: Gates

NewdestinyX

Jen&Khaleb said:
I think this thread is now contaminated.
The vast majority of posts are still about our am numbers. Let's just 'overwhelm' the other replies with the original intent.. :D I won't engage any other rabbit trails and would ask, being the original poster, that we stay on topic as much as possible.

Thanks for everyone's input!! :mrgreen:

frenchkittie

6 this morning, that could be the meal at the local restaurant last night, or the 3 hours of aperitifs before we ate :oops:

Still, I"m happy with a 6 after a night out, alcohol and eating over an extended period can give me much higher (or lower) figures the morning after.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Fasting reading: 6.7
2 hours after breakfast of Greek joghurt with cinnamon and too many coffees with cream to count: 6.6
These two readings are a lot higher than usual for me and have been for the past week or so.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
5.3 very first thing (took a while to find my finger) after a 6.0 late last night.

After 3 years this is the first time I have seen my numbers go down over night (although I test rarely - I have a burst of testing to establish my current profile then stop again for at least a month)

Cheers

LGC

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.2 at 08:30 today. Slept right through the 'alarm ****' ! :D

Viv 8)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I think this thread has been ruined a little. :(

If you don't think fasting numbers are important don't ruin the thread by posting that's your opinion,when if other people are posting it's clearly important to them. Just leave it for the people who think it is important and would like to share their numbers. It did nobody any harm and the majority of people including myself we're enjoying posting their readings and seeing other people happy too.

Mine was 4.4 a little low for me, if it's low again tomorrow morning then 3am checks it is. *yaaaaawn*

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, Please can we all return back to the title of this topic and post friendly results and chat related to the topic , its here as a supporting tool for all of us, and nice to see we are all individuals also. Anna.x :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
To put this thread in context of the Forum,

Firstly it is in the ‘Discussion ‘area of the forum. This area is read by most members. The most experienced, knowledgeable and well controlled members answer these threads and try and help to educate and support the less knowledgeable and often confused newer members.

Perhaps if this type of input is not required here this thread should be moved to’ General Chat ‘?

The Ethos of the forum has always been to give a rounded view on how best to control your own individual Diabetes and part of that is pointing out that, unlike the usual information from HCP’s , a fasting test only gives you a baseline, it does not give you any indication of how well you are controlling your Diabetes. This information has now been pointed out by probably the most experienced and knowledgeable member on the Board for the benefit of new members who, because this thread is always near the top of the Board, will read this and think that they are doing well because they only check their fasting level once a day, that’s if they have been lucky enough to get test strips !

Helping members understand why their Bg is high in the morning and giving help and support to let them self empower and learn about their diabetes is just as important as ‘back patting’. This Forum has always been praised for it’s knowledge and information, let’s not forget that, we are here to educate as well as support.

Ebony, not one thinks that fasting levels are not important but without the knowledge to work out why they are at a certain level the number itself becomes ...well...just a number.

To return to the topic of the thread my fasting level was 5.2 mmol/L a fairly normal fasting level for me.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Firstly it is in the ‘Discussion ‘area of the forum. This area is read by most members. The most experienced, knowledgeable and well controlled members answer these threads and try and help to educate and support the less knowledgeable and often confused newer members.

Perhaps if this type of input is not required here this thread should be moved to’ General Chat ‘?
Bang on !!!!
Well said Sue

What Just like the One Word Game :idea: ,, You enter your number with a little ditto Job Done

My dawn phenomenon was 530ml

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,722

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Forgive me for continuing discussion the importance of a fasting reading in the morning..

For me and many others it is very important you test upon waking. This DOES indicate good control as i mentioned in an earlier post.

It measures the control i have overnight. This reading tells me how my BG's have done overnight and will indicate any need to adjust. as overnight is a large portion of the day, it is important to get this right.

If i didnt test my fasting and went on my pre-breakfast test, this could miss out the dawn phenomenon(which i do suffer from), could lead me to assume my basal needs altering in the night, when in fact it doesn't.. so if i miss out this fasting reading and alter my basal overnight this can lead to night time hypo's which is one of the worst times to have hypo's.

the thread i think is aptly placed in the discussion forum, which it topic's to discuss, which we are doing, dicussing our fasting readings.

Also, people we're happily posting just numbers and if they were happy and maybe a little detail into why they thought they're numbers we're what they were, until the context and reasoning behind the thread were questioned.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Of course it is important for anyone on Insulin to know their fasting levels as you say. There are however many members , new or otherwise on diet only or other diabetic medications where the correlation between the fasting level and the 2 hour level is just as important so they know how their food or other factors is affecting them.

Also, people we're happily posting just numbers and if they were happy and maybe a little detail into why they thought they're numbers we're what they were

Isn't that what I was talking about ? Learning about the reasons a level is what it is ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ebony, and anybody else who is getting in a 'tiz' about this......... :roll:

This IS a discussion area...... ergo we discuss things, we ask questions, we answer questions. We have a conversation. One member likened it to sitting round a table having coffee, tea and a chat. Well in my chats with people they don't normally throw up their hands in horror and try to dictate what I say, even if it is contrary to what they think. We discuss things, we go off at a tangent, we learn new things, we impart new things, we educate each other.....that's MY view of a chat, a discussion..........We don't all have to agree and we don't all have the same opinions. That is what discussion is all about.

BTW, nobody owns a thread in a discussion area. It isn't up to them what is said and done. At least that is how it used to be........ :?

Nobody is getting angry with anybody, nobody disagrees that testing your fasting levels is a good thing.....what we do take issue with is the premise that fasting levels are ALL that matter, as portrayed in this thread. Frankly it is of no interest to me what somebody elses fasting level is unless they want to try and improve on it, as I have stated before if people want to post their own levels.....not a problem. Whatever 'floats yer boat !' I'm not bothered if you are a Type 1, 1.5, 2, 3 or whatever other type you come under.

Fasting is just one small part of a much bigger picture that any Diabetic has to take into account. It may help some people understand what is happening with their own levels but it certainly doesn't tell the whole story. It may be that you need a fasting level to adjust Insulin/Carb ratios, whatever........

There are people who have posted a level in here who are not being given the advice on how to try and correct those levels, just left to go merrily on their way with high numbers and stumbling from one problem to another. That's not what this place used to be about........help, support and good advice from all sorts of members with plenty of experience of those problems.

Now, if those self same people asked a question in the appropriate area, funnily enough, entitled 'Ask a Question' ......then they may well be given advice on how to lower those levels quite quickly and not have to 'wait two years' as one poster famously put it here, before achieving great Diabetic control and avoiding many complications.

Either it is a discussion or it isn't......if not then it should go in 'General Chat' as Sue suggested.

BTW, still on topic.........this morning 4.7 mmol/l....bit low for me but I was out last night. :wink:

josie38

Hi all,

In the beginning this thread was a bit of fun and everyone seemed to be enjoying. Then surprise surprise it got hi-jacked by certain members saying that is was confusing for newbies etc etc. When newdestiny started it he made a point of saying what it was for and some members have given good advice and have supported others.

Sue - this does not belong in the general chat because it is a discussion thread. Members have also said why they think they have the numbers that they do and others have commented surely this is a discussion and as you may have noticed admin and mods have posted on this thread. Ken- if you wish to continue your discussion with newdestiny can u do so by pm as other members want the thread to remain as it's original posting of fasting bs.

If any of you have problem with this post please contact me by pm or admin.

Josie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
josie38 said:
Hi all,

In the beginning this thread was a bit of fun and everyone seemed to be enjoying. Then surprise surprise it got hi-jacked by certain members saying that is was confusing for newbies etc etc. When newdestiny started it he made a point of saying what it was for and some members have given good advice and have supported others.

Sue - this does not belong in the general chat because it is a discussion thread. Members have also said why they think they have the numbers that they do and others have commented surely this is a discussion and as you may have noticed admin and mods have posted on this thread. Ken- if you wish to continue your discussion with newdestiny can u do so by pm as other members want the thread to remain as it's original posting of fasting bs.

If any of you have problem with this post please contact me by pm or admin.

Josie

Exactly what we said.....it's a discussion........that's exactly what we are doing...... :?

As for discussing anything with my mate ND.......not much point really unless you want to see new threads all over the place.

We will leave you all in peace......... :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well said, Josie38!

If people don't like a thread, there's no need to get involved with it. I've taken this one to be a way of saying 'Good Morning' to anyone who happens to be passing, which suits my mood, and keeps us in contact.

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, totally agree with josie, and viv, its a great thread to start the day with , ken as josie suggests if you wish to continue discussion etc... with your "mate" ND then it would be wiser to do it via PM. We have a vast and wide range of members on here, parents of the younger children and nervous newbies we do have to be sensitive to everyone n not just the more experienced and knowledgeable . Please lets all support and be aware of everyone who vists these posts. Anna.x :D

NewdestinyX

sugarless sue said:
Firstly it is in the ‘Discussion ‘area of the forum.
cugila said:
This IS a discussion area......
Yes - this is indeed 'discussion' - but with 'a focus' that's set by the thread starter. I frequent several forums in many fields of interest I have and I've never visited one where the 'thread starter' didn't 'define' and 'focus' the 'discussion'. So we 'are' discussing. That which we're discussing is: a report of our wake up fasting number and 'why' we think we got it and if it's ok with us and why. That is the 'focused discussing' I'm hoping we can do here. I don't think we want to undertake the 'semantics' of the word "discuss" as well. :|

Nobody is getting angry with anybody,
The tone was turning argumentative and sarcastic by a few. I know I entered that tone too. My apologies. Not needed. Glad the mods spoke up.

Either it is a discussion or it isn't......if not then it should go in 'General Chat' as Sue suggested.
It is. But one with a 'focus'. ADA/NICE guidelines and hyperfocus on fasting numbers are 'not' in the focus of this thread's discussion. Please. They're not even really related IMHO. But I could be wrong there. If I had wished to 'have a chat' - I would have started this thread in the 'general Chat' forum as I've read the purpose of each sub forum - thanks.

Thanks, Anna and Josie, for helping to get us back on target...
To that end...

I tested later this am -- and my DP was really in high gear before I ate so I was a 'very unacceptable -for ME.. 8.6 :shock: Bolused 2 units before breakfast to get back on track.. and have been pretty normal rest of day..