Numb face

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hello everyone, I'm almost freaking out here and I'm desperate for some help, long story short I got let out hospital just over a week ago and have been prescribed 3different types of antibiotics. Since yesterday the left side of my mouth has become numb resulting in me dribbling when I drink and finding it hard to talk, I asked my wife if I looked ok and she noticed it immediately. This morning I awoke and it's like it's spreading up making my left eyebrow harder to control, if that makes sense, and all I can think about is neuropathy but I know nothing about it and I do get paranoid and anxious, you know - it's a tumour not a headache, and don't want to look like a fool. I've also had compacted wax in my left ear for about 3 weeks now, flushed out by a nurse twice, and have been using otex ear drops but the wax remains and the pain is intense and I don't know if there's a connection with it just being wax and not an infection. One of the antibiotics came with a warning about neuropathy and another one requires my liver function monitored. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear of your new symptoms but remember not everything we get can be attributed to our diabetes. I suggest you get seen urgently, out of hours GP or A/E as it’s the weekend.
If it does turn out it’s Bell’s Palsy, on a quick Google it’s best to be seen within 72 hours of onset to have the best chance of a complete resolution of the symptoms.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I'm almost freaking out here and I'm desperate for some help, long story short I got let out hospital just over a week ago and have been prescribed 3different types of antibiotics. Since yesterday the left side of my mouth has become numb resulting in me dribbling when I drink and finding it hard to talk, I asked my wife if I looked ok and she noticed it immediately. This morning I awoke and it's like it's spreading up making my left eyebrow harder to control, if that makes sense, and all I can think about is neuropathy but I know nothing about it and I do get paranoid and anxious, you know - it's a tumour not a headache, and don't want to look like a fool. I've also had compacted wax in my left ear for about 3 weeks now, flushed out by a nurse twice, and have been using otex ear drops but the wax remains and the pain is intense and I don't know if there's a connection with it just being wax and not an infection. One of the antibiotics came with a warning about neuropathy and another one requires my liver function monitored. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Seek medical advice immediately. It’s likely to be something self limiting but we just don’t know. Call. Now.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Grant, you must get medical advice, it could be anything. My advice would be to call a Dr right now. Great if it turns out to be nothing much but symptoms like that need immediate expert opinion. x

Edited to add; just seen other replies.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. I would advise you to do one of two things, if it's not too late in the day I would go to your practice and request an appointment (there and then) to see a GP. If your surgery is closing soon then I would ring the NHS Advice Line on 111 for guidance. Remember that theses are services that are there for the benefit of patients, you will not be thought of as wasting anyone's time.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you, I'm going to act on it immediately.

Reactions: Rachox

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello everyone, thanks for the prompting to do something rather than sitting worrying, I'm just back from the hospital and apparently it's bells paulsy...I need to do some reading cause I've no knowledge of it. I got prescribed steroids and even got a roll of tape to keep my eye closed through the night.
A big thank you to everyone, your good people.

Reactions: dawnmc

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, thanks for the prompting to do something rather than sitting worrying, I'm just back from the hospital and apparently it's bells paulsy...I need to do some reading cause I've no knowledge of it. I got prescribed steroids and even got a roll of tape to keep my eye closed through the night.

I’m pleased you got it sorted and it wasn’t anything more serious. If you take the steroids, be aware that your numbers will be raised for a while.

Reactions: Grant1969

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m glad you got advice, a diagnosis and treatment. I hope your recovery is swift x

Reactions: Grant1969

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Upon reflection, once again I bless the nhs, too many times I have had my life saved or eased and to hear some people in waiting rooms bad mouthing the Drs and nurses really "boils my blood" when personally I would be long gone. It's like this website and the good people on it, I feel lucky to have y'all in my life, thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Upon reflection, once again I bless the nhs, too many times I have had my life saved or eased and to hear some people in waiting rooms bad mouthing the Drs and nurses really "boils my blood" when personally I would be long gone. It's like this website and the good people on it, I feel lucky to have y'all in my life, thank you.
As a retired nurse (36 years in the NHS) and a member and mod here, that’s so good to hear. You are right, too many people moan and groan about the NHS, however I believe they are all trying their best in very difficult times. Thank you for your comment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I could not agree more. I would have lost my life at the age of 26 but for the NHS, and again in my mid 30's, and again in my mid 60's. Other than the dietary information, which is world wide and not confined to the NHS, there is none better. Brilliant service.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

There was a member (Johnboy?) who was hit by that palsy but recovered quickly