Type 1diagnosis

hubb789

Both my adult children have been diagnosed as type 1 my daughter 2years ago at 22 and my son recently at 30, they have different dad's and I have no relatives with diabetes, so my question is why have they both got diabetes? Is it genetic does it mean I'm a carrier or what, so confused

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't think anyone can answer your question definitively, even the experts aren't, 100% certain.

The most common theory is that a virus of some description causes the immune system to malfunction.

Some people blame stress as a trigger and some like yourself consider genetic links as a possibility. There is also a class action happening in the US (or at least there was last year) in relation to drug induced diabetes.

Don't beat yourself up, there's nothing you could have done.

DylanM

Both my adult children have been diagnosed as type 1 my daughter 2years ago at 22 and my son recently at 30, they have different dad's and I have no relatives with diabetes, so my question is why have they both got diabetes? Is it genetic does it mean I'm a carrier or what, so confused
Hey there. I was diagnosed at 22 with type 1 diabetes too (two years ago in fact). No family history. No real explanation. Even the docs were baffled as to why I had it.

Unfortunately, it happens. It's not your fault! My mum was exactly the same - wondering why, how, if there was anything that could have been done.

As the previous contributor said, don't beat yourself up about it.

hubb789

Thank you but you know what us mom's are like! Can't help wondering if I'd done something different etc, I suppose just have to accept life's a ***** and get over it! Stay strong guys hopefully they will sort it one day

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
It is possible that in your genetic past there has been I'm finding after doing family history possible relatives who died young that sounded like they died from t1 being uncontrolled. I know my mom was the first known t2 in the family n I'm the first t1 on record.