[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dod95 - Are you taking fixed amounts of insulin, or adjusting, depending on what you eat?

I’m adjusting the dose.
For eg if I’m gonaa eat an Icecream or something sweet. i increase the dose by 3 or 4 units

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My ratios are 1 unit of insulin to every ten grams of carb so for what you had i would have 5units of insulin (but your ratios may be different to mine)maybe try having half your insulin 15/30 minutes b4 and the other half about 30/60mins later this is only a suggestion on my part as i am not medically trained i find fruit spikes me high regardless of what insulin i take but comes bk in range by the 4/5hour mark its a process of trial and error x

I expected that my BG would go low bc 10U is considered a high dose. I’m taking 10~12 U before eating rice/ Pasta or any main dish.

The problem is the timing. And the spike from 90 mg/dl to 280 mg/dl in one hour
Maybe as you said. I’ll try to avoid fruits at breakfast time. And the split doses. Let’s see what will happen

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I expected that my BG would go low bc 10U is considered a high dose. I’m taking 10~12 U before eating rice/ Pasta or any main dish.

The problem is the timing. And the spike from 90 mg/dl to 280 mg/dl in one hour
Maybe as you said. I’ll try to avoid fruits at breakfast time. And the split doses. Let’s see what will happen
Hope you get sorted dod95 when you get your ratios right maybe everything will fall into place i get a big spike from rice or pasta regardless of correct insulin but again im mostly bk in range by 4/5hours so will still have it despite the spike x

Reactions: Dod95

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get sorted dod95 when you get your ratios right maybe everything will fall into place i get a big spike from rice or pasta regardless of correct insulin but again im mostly bk in range by 4/5hours so will still have it despite the spike x

Thank you sweetie

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
& i noticed that my blood glucose is going high after brushing my teeth

Hi,

If you get raised BG a little while after waking but before breakfast, possibly after your morning routine?
It could be "Dawn phenomenon" or liver dump pushing blood sugar up. & may not be attributed to the toothpaste..

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If you get raised BG a little while after waking but before breakfast, possibly after your morning routine?
It could be "Dawn phenomenon" or liver dump pushing blood sugar up. & may not be attributed to the toothpaste..

I guess this could be another possibility. I’ll monitor my BG more frequently to rollout the exact reason.

If it’s really Dawn Phenomenon, what would be the best way to manage it? Do i’ve to increase the long acting insulin dose? Or to increase the short acting insulin units ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess this could be another possibility. I’ll monitor my BG more frequently to rollout the exact reason.

If it’s really Dawn Phenomenon, what would be the best way to manage it? Do i’ve to increase the long acting insulin dose? Or to increase the short acting insulin units ?

There are so many variables involved. I don't do breakfast untill late morning.
During a working week I can wake with a reasonable BG, but by the time I've showered, dressed & walked the dog. I can get a rise of 1 or 2Mmol.? Then it tails off.

Consult with your diabetes team. However. I would be looking at the foundation of your insulin regime first, by testing your long acting "basal." Before trying anything else in the equation, like not brushing ye teeff...
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Reactions: Dod95

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don’t have a problem since at the end it comes back to the normal range. However the continues headache & dizziness feelings are ruining my life.

But you say you're having hypos rather than getting back to the normal range? Is this just a problem in the morning?

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are so many variables involved. I don't do breakfast untill late morning.
During a working week I can wake with a reasonable BG, but by the time I've showered, dressed & walked the dog. I can get a rise of 1 or 2Mmol.? Then it tails off.

Consult with your diabetes team. However. I would be looking at the foundation of your insulin regime first, by testing your long acting "basal." Before trying anything else in the equation, like not brushing ye teeff...
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Life is harsh with diabetes I’ll try to do so
Thank you

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you say you're having hypos rather than getting back to the normal range? Is this just a problem in the morning?

Yup..
It differs from day to day. However It’s always high after eating for 5 hours or more.
This my graph for today.
IMG_9843.jpg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What's the second half of the day like?

EDited to add: sorry, I can see your second half now, (but no longer your first ????). I still wonder if you're having insufficient short acting and too much long acting....

Last edited:

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Try having an egg instead of bread. If you must have bread multigrain only. Breakfast messes with me so much I skip it.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't sound like you are very strict with your carb counting. It pays to be as exact as possible (until you're bs is very stable) so that you are taking the right amount of insulin and not just guessing. If you lower your carbs and you lower your insulin, you also lower your margin of error. And the thing about carb counting, even if you use a scale as I do, one piece of fruit may be sweeter because it's riper than another.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Dod95,
My my reading/experience, not as professional advice or opinion:
and whatever is said about diabetes hardly ever works all the time!!
In conjunction with your Diabetes Educator or Doctor:
maybe consider doing 'basal testing' as @Jaylee suggested above.

Basically this means skipping say, breakfast and the humalog before it and seeing what you BSLs do,
same for other meals/humalog, so 6 hour lots ( I do 12 hours lots so 2 meals at a time to get it over with sooner)!!
- this helps to see how well your Tresiba is handling BSLs between meals and overnight.
And ask your diabetes educator about how long a change in say, your Tresiba dose, would take to be working
( some people on here say 4 to 6 days )!!

You mentioned earlier not being able to stick to 'a certain diet' - what specifically is this diet you are referring to?

Humalog: if you search for 'pictures of insulin profiles - Humalog' you will see something like the pictures below:
One: The amount of insulin in the blood after injecting Humalog/Lisopro (disregard varies from person to person
as shown by the range, represented by the vertical lines at each measurement over time

Two: another approach in this table: so by 4 hours - an average of 70% (49 - 89%) of Humalog has been used up!!

Three: The effect of larger doses - I could not find a graph for Lisapro/Humalog itself , but if you read any of the short-acting insulin product pages they quote doses per kg of body weight, higher the dose the longer it lasts

Four: how much insulin a non-diabetic produces to deal with a feed of various types of bread (and this is not measuring the variation from person to person)

Five: and for 'fun', this is an example of what coffee might do to BSLs.

Now how well does the appearance of Humalog in the blood (in One:) match the timing of the non-diabetic's insulin response in Four?
I call this a classical case of mistiming and is just my interpretation - which you would need to check out with your diabetes educator: how can Humalog or any known short-acting insulin catch up with the bread??
What is likely to happen when a moderate dose of the Humalog kicks in? A hypo later?
You have seen how the effect of Humalog can vary from person to person on One. Unfortunately we do not have the variation to hand in Four.
Yes, in this situation I could delay the meal for some time after the humalog dose/injection: But for how long? And if I vary the meal, what then?
Or do I just increase the Humalog dose to better deal with the rise after the breakfast you described and delay the meal?
It might work but ? hypos?? Same if adding ice cream, just boost the dose ?? These are what I call chasing the BSL - trying to use insulin doses to 'catch' the BSL rise in time. It does not work for me in a general sense. The more insulin the more risk I have of hypos and then I may suffer a rebound high BSL after a hypo (from the effect of adrenaline and glucagon in raising my BSL via liver stores of glucose (+glycogen) plus anything I eat to combat the hypo --> leads to more insulin to control that rebound hyper - the hypo-hyper see-saw.
Or: do I try to match the food I eat to the action of the insulin? Yes, I would ideally need to see what effect my short-acting insulin is having - so as to better explain things like the 'late' hypo you described. And how do I alter my diet to achieve this?
There is a way but I would need to be very convinced that BSL chasing was not likely to work.

I have been on insulin for 52 years and seen most diabetic diets and tried them. So just my thoughts on the matter and ready to field more questions as a T1D, if and when !!

At this point I would suggest you see your diabetes educator to sort things further - see what he or she says and advises. You can always come back to ask more questions here !!
Best Wishes !!

....One..............................Two.........................Three............................Four.........................Five

IMG_6702.jpg .....IMG_6705.jpg ....IMG_6706.jpg.......IMG_6708.jpg......IMG_6709.jpg

Reactions: porl69 and Dod95

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the second half of the day like?

EDited to add: sorry, I can see your second half now, (but no longer your first ????). I still wonder if you're having insufficient short acting and too much long acting....

It was almost the same. After food it keeps increasing over 4 to 5 hours before it comes down.
IMG_9844.jpg

Yesterday, I took 10U & I had only a banana before sleeping to bring it down. I know this was the most stupid thing I had ever done.
However I was tired and i wanted my BG to be normal.
IMG_9846.jpg

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try having an egg instead of bread. If you must have bread multigrain only. Breakfast messes with me so much I skip it.

So you go directly for lunch? Or you’re taking it late?
Sometimes I’m skipping my breakfast but every time I’m getting a different outcomes.

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't sound like you are very strict with your carb counting. It pays to be as exact as possible (until you're bs is very stable) so that you are taking the right amount of insulin and not just guessing. If you lower your carbs and you lower your insulin, you also lower your margin of error. And the thing about carb counting, even if you use a scale as I do, one piece of fruit may be sweeter because it's riper than another.

I know that guessing isn’t the right thing to do. Still I cannot accept what happened in the last two years since I got diagnosed. I’ll try to learn more about carbs counting & my body response.
Thank you

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Dod95,
My my reading/experience, not as professional advice or opinion:
and whatever is said about diabetes hardly ever works all the time!!
In conjunction with your Diabetes Educator or Doctor:
maybe consider doing 'basal testing' as @Jaylee suggested above.

Basically this means skipping say, breakfast and the humalog before it and seeing what you BSLs do,
same for other meals/humalog, so 6 hour lots ( I do 12 hours lots so 2 meals at a time to get it over with sooner)!!
- this helps to see how well your Tresiba is handling BSLs between meals and overnight.
And ask your diabetes educator about how long a change in say, your Tresiba dose, would take to be working
( some people on here say 4 to 6 days )!!

You mentioned earlier not being able to stick to 'a certain diet' - what specifically is this diet you are referring to?

Humalog: if you search for 'pictures of insulin profiles - Humalog' you will see something like the pictures below:
One: The amount of insulin in the blood after injecting Humalog/Lisopro (disregard varies from person to person
as shown by the range, represented by the vertical lines at each measurement over time

Two: another approach in this table: so by 4 hours - an average of 70% (49 - 89%) of Humalog has been used up!!

Three: The effect of larger doses - I could not find a graph for Lisapro/Humalog itself , but if you read any of the short-acting insulin product pages they quote doses per kg of body weight, higher the dose the longer it lasts

Four: how much insulin a non-diabetic produces to deal with a feed of various types of bread (and this is not measuring the variation from person to person)

Five: and for 'fun', this is an example of what coffee might do to BSLs.

Now how well does the appearance of Humalog in the blood (in One:) match the timing of the non-diabetic's insulin response in Four?
I call this a classical case of mistiming and is just my interpretation - which you would need to check out with your diabetes educator: how can Humalog or any known short-acting insulin catch up with the bread??
What is likely to happen when a moderate dose of the Humalog kicks in? A hypo later?
You have seen how the effect of Humalog can vary from person to person on One. Unfortunately we do not have the variation to hand in Four.
Yes, in this situation I could delay the meal for some time after the humalog dose/injection: But for how long? And if I vary the meal, what then?
Or do I just increase the Humalog dose to better deal with the rise after the breakfast you described and delay the meal?
It might work but ? hypos?? Same if adding ice cream, just boost the dose ?? These are what I call chasing the BSL - trying to use insulin doses to 'catch' the BSL rise in time. It does not work for me in a general sense. The more insulin the more risk I have of hypos and then I may suffer a rebound high BSL after a hypo (from the effect of adrenaline and glucagon in raising my BSL via liver stores of glucose (+glycogen) plus anything I eat to combat the hypo --> leads to more insulin to control that rebound hyper - the hypo-hyper see-saw.
Or: do I try to match the food I eat to the action of the insulin? Yes, I would ideally need to see what effect my short-acting insulin is having - so as to better explain things like the 'late' hypo you described. And how do I alter my diet to achieve this?
There is a way but I would need to be very convinced that BSL chasing was not likely to work.

I have been on insulin for 52 years and seen most diabetic diets and tried them. So just my thoughts on the matter and ready to field more questions as a T1D, if and when !!

At this point I would suggest you see your diabetes educator to sort things further - see what he or she says and advises. You can always come back to ask more questions here !!
Best Wishes !!

....One..............................Two.........................Three............................Four.........................Five

View attachment 32619 .....View attachment 32620 ....View attachment 32621.......View attachment 32622......View attachment 32623

Woow! Brilliant!

Thinking about it, For the bolus test. I’m not following a certain daily routine. So we can consider that I’m doing this test everyday I’m skipping breakfast & dinner many times and guess what...every-time there is a different outcome, for eg) 3 days ago, I skipped the breakfast & the bolus dose as well. Even that I didn’t eat or drink anything till 2 PM. My BG kept increasing >250 mg/dl.
Today I repeated the same trial and my BG was in its normal range. I feel there’s no constants in the equation of my life

I’m thinking of something. Maybe if i tried to decrease the dose of Insulin. My BG won’t go that high? Like maybe my body is going crazy after injecting high dose of insulin. Something like a positive feedback to the liver for producing more glucose?.. IDK this is not even scientific maybe I’m a rare case or something !!

What I meant by certain diet. my personality is very active. I’m not an organized person. Some days you’ll find me taking my 3 meals on their time. The next day I’ll eat only one meal which high in carbs. Or maybe I’ll not take any meals & I’ll just have a chocolate, chips, popcorn, icecream, etc...
My adherence to a healthy life style is almost equal to zero! Even Sometimes I’m forgetting to take my long acting insulin!

I’ll keep on trial & error method till i know my body & it’s response to various conditions/food and maybe I’ll discuss with my physician to change triseba. I guess maybe bc it’s working by “gradually” decrease BS avoiding the sudden drop caused by other long acting agents. maybe in my case i need this sudden drop(maybe in my case it will control my BS in a better way)

Oooh I’m a coffee addict BTW. I can skip all the meals but not my daily dose of coffee .

While reading your reply. I felt that you’re a professor lecturing in college. You’re very talented in explaining and delivering the information. Really experience plays a very important rule. & you have a 52 yrs experience in T1D.

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. It’s very useful for me
I’ll try to follow those tips & see what will happen.

Wish you all the best & have a nice day

Last edited: