Type 2 Air shot

GaryC46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello group, I’ve been T2 for 20 odd years now and just started on 16 units of Insulin at night as tables no longer control BGL,
Is it necessary to to a 2 unit air shot every time or just at the start of a pen,
Regards.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello group, I’ve been T2 for 20 odd years now and just started on 16 units of Insulin at night as tables no longer control BGL,
Is it necessary to to a 2 unit air shot every time or just at the start of a pen,
Regards.
I do air shot each time I insert a needle. The philosophy behind it is to make sure that the needle isnt blocked. I do 1 unit not 2 and it works perfectly as it should.

Reactions: GaryC46

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GaryC46 ,

Welcome to the forum. What took you so long to post.. :)

I do a 2u airshot prior to each injection.
I'm an old school injector for the last 42 years. You're basically priming the needle & expelling any air. An old habit of mine is also gently tapping or flicking the cartridge housing to make sure any bubbles of air rises. (But that's a hangover from the old glass syringe days.)
It is possible to perform an air shot by unscrewing the needle. So it just catches on the screw thread? This lifts the other end of the needle penitrating the membrane of the cartridge. Then rembering to fully screw it in place afterwards to perform the injection.
I find that air in the cartridge tends to be more prominent after flights for some reason. But then I do have needles fitted ready to go...

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
When I was on pens I only did that when I changed a needle or put a new vial in. I found failures could happen regardless of whether I did or not (something would click in the pen the dial would go down almost instantly without any insulin being given). It is a personal choice. I personally ended up not doing so because frankly, insulin stinks.