Back to work

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I’m starting back at work tomorrow after being diagnosed type 1 2 months ago and in hospital really poorly with DKA.
I’m so nervous.
I didn’t want to go back I’m now lying here working myself up and I can’t sleep have to be up at 6 for my first 12 hour shift!
Any advice on to calm how I’m feeling it’s hard to explain but my heart is pounding.
Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Soph94 The best way to calm yourself is to simply take deep breaths and fill your lungs slowly breathing in and out.

What’s causing the anxiety and do you have a plan for tomorrow in regards to discussing your situation with HR or your boss ? They do need to offer reasonable adjustments to allow for you to manage your t1 in the workplace so it’s a good idea to work out beforehand what these should be so you are supported at work.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well? As someone diagnosed over 42 years ago. & changing jobs more often than my socks. ;)

I allow a little extra time prepping for a work day. Anything can happen like wake low, dog is sick, iced up van. Or it just won't start. (Actually, the van has always kicked into life.)
I plan. There is almost a "ritual" that revolves around my personal health & wellbeing.
Then at the end of the day.. I allow myself some peace that no man or indeed my wife can put asunder. :)

If you already know your routine in the job you are half way there. Structure around that.
Sounds a little like "stage fright" to me..? I also play in a rock band & have a ritual to combat this too.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying I’m not to sure why it is a hard job as I look after the elderly but I want to make sure I’m okay before I put vulnerable people at risk.
I’ve prepared myself all day not done anything got all my meds ready and meals planned.
Maybe a bit of stage fright.
I’m just unsure if I’m ready to go back. yeah work is aware and have written things in place.
But we shall see Thankyou guys
To be honest I have been feeling a bit low I’m finding it hard I’m not sure if it’s my age or anything but I’ve got to keep saying it’s life now and I’ve got to work and live it

Reactions: Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying I’m not to sure why it is a hard job as I look after the elderly but I want to make sure I’m okay before I put vulnerable people at risk.
I’ve prepared myself all day not done anything got all my meds ready and meals planned.
I’m just unsure if I’m ready to go back. yeah work is aware and have written things in place.
To be honest I have been feeling a bit low I’m finding it hard I’m not sure if it’s my age or anything but I’ve got to keep saying it’s life now and I’ve got to work and live it

If it's any consolation to you.?

I'm at the age where I cared for my elderly parents. One was T2.
It will take a little while to get your head round your own condition. (& by all means keep asking the questions.)
But I wager you will be fantastic & a credit to your proffession. Especially when dealing with an elderly diabetic. :)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! I had three weeks off work after my diagnosis back in November 2018. Going back to work was a bit of a shock to the system (especially as my office had been refurbed and I couldn’t find my desk!). I found it difficult in the first couple of weeks to try to get my levels reasonable as during my three weeks off I had got into a routine of lots of walking, which I had to reduce when I went back to work.

When I went back to work I had a return to work interview and advised my employer if any adjustments I needed - such as the option to go for a walk when high and explained I may need to have my phone on me more to record glucose readings etc. My employer was very understanding although I didn’t get ‘eased back in’ like other people have been when they have been signed off ....... :cyclops:.

Just be prepared for a few stupid questions from other colleagues and don’t take their comments to heart (if any are made). There is a lot of misunderstanding of the difference between T1 and T2 (and all other types), so people do ask stupid questions. A personal favourite upon my return to work was ‘I guess you drinking Diet Coke caused this’. At the time I was angry, but now I laugh about it.

You may also find that others you work with are also T1. I discovered a man in my office who has been T1 since a baby, so he has been of great help!

Best of luck :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Soph94, do the management at your workplace know of your diagnosis? Even if they do, it’s a good idea to see them when you arrive, or at the first opportunity, to let them know that you now have a condition that means you’ll need a little consideration, especially if you need to fix a low blood sugar, hypoglycaemia, or a high blood sugar, hyperglycaemia. The first will require a bit of time out while you have some glucotabs or jelly babies, and you’ll need to wait until your blood sugars are ok, in other words about 5 or above, before you’ll be safe to continue working. The second, hyperglycaemia, may require you to take some insulin to lower your blood sugars. I’m not sure what insulin, or regime you’ve been given but it’s more likely at this stage that you’ll have a set dose and will only really need to have time out if you go hypo, in other words if your blood sugars are too low.
You may also need to remind them that under the DDA and the Equality Act they’ll need to make reasonable adjustments for you. You might also ask if you can have a staged return to work, and do fewer days or hours for the first few weeks while you adjust. You may also still be tired and physically drained by the lead up to the diagnosis. Did you lose weight before T1 was found to be the cause? It can take a bit of time to recover from that and the real life changing nature of the beast. You will recover, and you’ll learn to manage it but it’s early days so even more reason to have that talk with management, especially HR if your workplace has one.
You may also want to tell your immediate colleagues that you’re T1. This is an individual choice, but I personally believe it makes life easier for everyone, and especially for you, if you let them know. If they’re decent they’ll look out for you. Mine did.
To make things calmer now, have you sorted out the essentials that you’re going to take with you? I always have glucotabs and jelly babies in my bag or my pocket, along with a blood sugar tester, insulin pen and needles. I also used to take my own lunch to work with me, or buy something with the carb count on the label (I’m retired now but had 42 years of work as a T1). Don’t worry if you haven’t got glucotabs or jelly babies yet, you can also use any kind of sweets or biscuits as emergency hypo supplies, and I hope you won’t need them and the biscuits will be stale before you have to eat them .
You didn’t say what kind of work you do.
Can you let us know? It’s quite a long day for you. If the insulin regime you’ve been given requires set times to eat then you can ask to be given that time.
I’m going to tag a few others who are still working
@porl69,
@karen8961,
@Mel dCP,
@Knikki,
@Robinredbreast,
@helensaramay.
Last but not least, welcome to an exclusive, lovely, supportive club. Hugs, stop worrying, breathe deep, count sheep, set your alarm and know that it’s probably much worse thinking about going back to work than actually getting up tomorrow and doing it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve just seen that you’ve already answered some of my questions while I was busy writing

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
All firsts are an adventure. You will be fine assuming you now have control. For the first day or 2 plan to be a little high at work, then there is no fear of hypo’s and I said a little high not a lot, so there is no fear of DKA. You will get it sorted in no time and before you know it the week will passed. I frequently do 12 to 14 hour days and I don’t have a problem.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a few days, you will fall into a routine and you will also sleep better. You will be a great asset where you work because of your knowledge and experience with diabetes. Probably most of the other workers there will not have this asset.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, let us know how it went. And don’t hesitate to discuss anything else on this here wonderful forum.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Soph94 Also just checking your day has gone well ?

Confidence comes with time and I appreciate your are still dealing with your diagnosis, but getting back to 'normal' will help you in regards to coming to terms with this and getting your life back, so hope it's gone well.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
yes it wasn’t so bad very busy I’m really tired now, had a hypo just before lunch went down to 3.2 so had to fix myself there but from then on just been sluggish and ratty lol
No one else at my work is diabetic I’m the only one so yes had a lot of questions about me putting weight back on because I lost 6 stone prior being diagnosed type 1 (I’m body conscious anyway) and injecting and what food can I eat now ect..
im back again tomorrow 6am-1pm and then having to go back at 6pm for a 2 hour staff meeting and it’s a half hour commute each way but hey hoe.
I think the work place are trying it’s best but they have a business to run I don’t want to burden them and sound silly.
Yes I’m trying to get back to normal and be a normal 24 year old but it’s hard I do feel sorry for myself at times lol but it’s nice to come on here and speak to people who may have gone through the same thing or going through the same thing.
But some of the elderly was happy to see me so it cheered me up.
Thankyou everyone xx

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well done @Soph94. Pity about the hypo :( . Wasn't soo bad after all then :)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Hun just remember that while they have a business to run they also have a responsibility to look after you. When you feel up to it, look up your entitlements and such under the Equalities Act 2010. You are entitled to reasonable adjustments and such because of your disability (a big word if new for you but it is what it is and we're all here to help you shoulder it). It sounds like your first day went well but each day will be different. Take each one as it comes and always pop in here if you have questions. Mind when you used to go back to school after the summer and it was exhausting? But then you were alright again? This is what it will be like settling in with the Betes. Take those early beds while you need them and when you don't, time to go back to whatever you used to do!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Soph94 - Getting back to work, and getting the first day out of the way is a big step, so very well done for that.

Take it steady and communicate with your employers, if the going gets tough for whatever reason. YOu'veb een through a big change.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
emoji4.png

Hope the first day back went OK, it's perfectly natural to be nervous going back into the routine of work after being off a while.

How lucky your company and the elderly folk you care for are you have you. You sound very caring and conscientious.

Best wishes.

Soph94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou everyone finally got a day off today and I’m being lazy all day very tired but going steady I’ve told work I’m not rushing into going back to where I don’t even get a break! I’m going at my pace.
Thankyou all again for the help & advice you’ve been fab x