Newly Diagnosed

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have posted on the other forums for a few days but thought it would be a good idea to post on here and introduce myself.

I have pre-diabetic for the last couple of years and pretty much buried my head in the sand once I found out and for some stupid reason thought it would just go away. Well 2 years later it hasn't and because of my own stupidity its gotten worse.

My Hb1ac has come back at 89 which is high so they have put me onto tablets including a statin, with another review in 3 months. I asked about coming of medication if my readings dropped and she said its very unlikely, well reading on here I think she is wrong.

So I have started on the low carb diet and into day 4 now and I already feel like I have lots of energy and that's good because I'm at 150kg so need to loose a lot of weight.

So the plan for me is to get that number down in 3 months, I know its not going to be easy and I may even create a blog a document this journey but I am determined to do it.

Reactions: Jintyo

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have posted on the other forums for a few days but thought it would be a good idea to post on here and introduce myself.

I have pre-diabetic for the last couple of years and pretty much buried my head in the sand once I found out and for some stupid reason thought it would just go away. Well 2 years later it hasn't and because of my own stupidity its gotten worse.

My Hb1ac has come back at 89 which is high so they have put me onto tablets including a statin, with another review in 3 months. I asked about coming of medication if my readings dropped and she said its very unlikely, well reading on here I think she is wrong.

So I have started on the low carb diet and into day 4 now and I already feel like I have lots of energy and that's good because I'm at 150kg so need to loose a lot of weight.

So the plan for me is to get that number down in 3 months, I know its not going to be easy and I may even create a blog a document this journey but I am determined to do it.

Low carb is an excellent way to control type 2 diabetes. However be careful of reducing your hba1c drastically as it can have a worse effect on nerves, eyes, blood vessels etc. It should be done in a gradual way.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb is an excellent way to control type 2 diabetes. However be careful of reducing your hba1c drastically as it can have a worse effect on nerves, eyes, blood vessels etc. It should be done in a gradual way.

Can you provide a little more advice please on how to change my diet to bring it down slowly. Do I slowly reduce my carbs over time, is there any suggested reduction over time. I want to control my diabetes but don’t want to cause more issues

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I have done the low carb Atkins type diet in the past I just went to almost no carbs at all straight from diagnosis. After 36 hours I started to add small amounts of salad and low carb veges. I did feel a bit wobbly a few times, so I sat down and drank some water and if that did not stop it in a minute or so then I ate a couple of grapes - then another one if I did not feel normal in another minute or so.
I reduced my Hba1c down to prediabetic levels at the first test after diagnosis and to normal - though only just at 6 months. Normal is the normal - I can't understand why it would be better to delay a return to normality when diabetes is associated with slow healing, and damage to small blood vessels, and normal - isn't.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I have done the low carb Atkins type diet in the past I just went to almost no carbs at all straight from diagnosis. After 36 hours I started to add small amounts of salad and low carb veges. I did feel a bit wobbly a few times, so I sat down and drank some water and if that did not stop it in a minute or so then I ate a couple of grapes - then another one if I did not feel normal in another minute or so.
I reduced my Hba1c down to prediabetic levels at the first test after diagnosis and to normal - though only just at 6 months. Normal is the normal - I can't understand why it would be better to delay a return to normality when diabetes is associated with slow healing, and damage to small blood vessels, and normal - isn't.

There's many reports showing the effects of drastically reduced hba1c causing increased rate of diabetic retinopathy. Yes having a lower hba1c is better, but not by drastic increase/decreases in BS levels, due to affects on blood vessels etc.

Some reports:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dom.13538
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

In regards to how quick it should be reduced, its best to speak to an expert. Unfortunately I cannot advise on that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's many reports showing the effects of drastically reduced hba1c causing increased rate of diabetic retinopathy. Yes having a lower hba1c is better, but not by drastic increase/decreases in BS levels, due to affects on blood vessels etc.

Some reports:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dom.13538
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

In regards to how quick it should be reduced, its best to speak to an expert. Unfortunately I cannot advise on that.
That is strange - I had background retinopathy at diagnosis, but it went away even though I dropped my Hba1c by over 40 points in a very short time. I can understand that high BG levels are really damaging to blood vessels - but what harm is normal?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on.this forum.for 18 months and have not read this info. I will tag in a moderator to give further help @Rachox. She is a font of knowledge and will be able to offer guidance.

From my own experience I went low carb as soon as i googled how to reverse diabetes. Never looked back. Just had my latest DN appointment and confirmed as in remission . All symptoms disappeared as soon as I started lchf. IBS, blurry eyesight, heartburn, dry mouth. Never felt better. Check out the attached. Just one sheet of forum members who have gone from diabetic to non diabetic in a matter of weeks sometimes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: DJC3

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve heard of people’s eyesight going a little blurry as a temporary thing whilst the eye readjusted to a much lower (better) glucose level than it had become accomstomed to. That is very different to damage being caused by lowering numbers to normal. A significant number of forum members have reduced hb1ac numbers, and obviously daily bgl, from very high to below diagnosable levels in a matter of months without problems. I’ll be following the outcome of moderators review of this one closely.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Debandez
I actually do have personal experience of background retinopathy developing due to a rapid lowering of HbA1c. I was diagnosed Type 2 in May ‘17 and had my first retinal scan very quickly and it was clear. I reduced my HbA1c from 70 to mid 30s in four months. The following May I had my annual scan and it showed background retinopathy in one eye. I was worried and upset as I had worked hard to reduce my HbA1c, so I posted here on the forum and was reassured by a lot of members particularly @Dark Horse that this is usually temporary but may take some time to revert back to normal. Blurred vision due to high blood sugars is a different matter, I never suffered from it but from what I’ve learnt puts itself right fairly quickly as blood glucose levels normalise. Here’s a link to the thread I posted last May:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/worried-by-my-retinal-screening-result.148002/

Reactions: goddy225 and DJC3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pau1200 ,

You appear to be listed as "insulin dependant type 2." Is this correct?

@Muneeb has a point. As in with rapid sugar level control in type one treatment has ironically had detrimental effect regarding retinopathy, it's reckoned a slower "decompression" over 6 to 9 months?
I my self after abruptly "claeaning up my act" was diagnosed with a macula oedema.. I am now discharged. (But still monitored for any reocurancre.)
This of course vastly depends on the indevidual & where & how fast they drop from.. (In a T1 context.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you provide a little more advice please on how to change my diet to bring it down slowly. Do I slowly reduce my carbs over time, is there any suggested reduction over time. I want to control my diabetes but don’t want to cause more issues

I think you will find that many members of this forum reduced their HbA1c from a high start down to non-diabetic numbers in around 6 months, some reducing carbs gradually, others eliminating/drastically reducing them from the start. It is up to you which course of action to take. Personally, I chose the slow but sure route and reduced them gradually over a period of about 10 months. I think I am one of the few that did it that way. By doing that I avoided "carb flu", which is something that can happen whilst your body gets used to much lower carbs and sugar. It makes you feel a bit rotten, but is temporary.

Reactions: ziggy_w

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pau1200 ,

You appear to be listed as "insulin dependant type 2." Is this correct?

@Muneeb has a point. As in with rapid sugar level control in type one treatment has ironically had detrimental effect regarding retinopathy, it's reckoned a slower "decompression" over 6 to 9 months?
I my self after abruptly "claeaning up my act" was diagnosed with a macula oedema.. I am now discharged. (But still monitored for any reocurancre.)
This of course vastly depends on the indevidual & where & how fast they drop from.. (In a T1 context.)
Any idea if the same applies to type 2?

Reactions: Jaylee

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, @pau1200.

Actually, my experience with my GP was similar to yours. His comment was that with blood sugar levels as high as yours, you will definitely have to go onto insulin. Three months later on low carb (and metformin), my HbA1c showed normal non-diabetic blood sugar levels. So please don't be discouraged, you are doing the right thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed, you'll do great.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we have an instance of the forum glitch here @Jaylee , I’m just seeing @pau1200 as Type 2 under his avatar.

Most intriguing... & I don't doubt it. ;)
Sorry guys.
@HSSS , insulin & diet whoever uses it after long term highs Needs a steady acclimatisation.

Much love. & thanks for the heads up! :)

image.png

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I’m confused. So if you are using insulin to reduce hb1ac quickly after being very high for a long time you are at risk regardless of type.

I’m unclear if the same is true if you are doing it by diet alone or perhaps more mild meds like metformin? Is it the (additional) insulin or the rapid change in glucose levels?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes we definitely have a case of the glitch. This is what I’m seeing. @Jaylee can you remember the fix to advise @pau1200 ?

6BB76086-52FF-41C9-A382-D7B108B0B345.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I’m confused. So if you are using insulin to reduce hb1ac quickly after being very high for a long time you are at risk regardless of type.

I’m unclear if the same is true if you are doing it by diet alone or perhaps more mild meds like metformin? Is it the (additional) insulin or the rapid change in glucose levels?

I got background retinopathy by reducing HbA1c quickly with diet and Metformin :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It can possibly increase the risk, which is why it's not advisable to go like a "bull at a gate" on insulin for T1s.
@Muneeb like myself are T1. Insulin can change things literally within hours. Though it can be a "roller coaster" to start with a diet change too.

Now we've established what meds the OP is on. Muneeb & I maybe taking this off track.. ;) Which was sort of why I came here in the first place... :)

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am type 2 and NOT on insulin but have been prescribed medication metformin and a statin.

The problem with eyes is of great concern to me, about 15 years ago I suffered with a detached retina due to fluid leaking through the back of my eye. I was told there was nothing they could do but was eye surgeon said he would have a go and managed to reattach with heavy scaring so I have reduced upper vision in one eye. So I do fear my eyes may be weak so I’m a little worried.

I’m into day 4 of low carbs and my reading are improving and the highest I have seen is 10.5, when I started I had a reading in the 20s. I did feel a little shaky this evening so maybe that’s me adjusting but I really feel motivated to sort myself out. I’ve just lost a friend to cancer and another is fighting it and both like me are early 40s so I’m using that to motivate me.