urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just to add my twopenneth worth, the advice about not lowering glucose levels too quickly was also given to me a few years back, although I cannot remember specifically who gave it

I have always taken it to mean that lowering levels over a few months rather than trying to do it in a few weeks is better for the longer term outcome.

I assume that insulin has the capacity to bring BG levels down more sharply than diet and/or Metformin thus making the advice more applicable to insulin users.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am type 2 and NOT on insulin but have been prescribed medication metformin and a statin.

The problem with eyes is of great concern to me, about 15 years ago I suffered with a detached retina due to fluid leaking through the back of my eye. I was told there was nothing they could do but was eye surgeon said he would have a go and managed to reattach with heavy scaring so I have reduced upper vision in one eye. So I do fear my eyes may be weak so I’m a little worried.

I’m into day 4 of low carbs and my reading are improving and the highest I have seen is 10.5, when I started I had a reading in the 20s. I did feel a little shaky this evening so maybe that’s me adjusting but I really feel motivated to sort myself out. I’ve just lost a friend to cancer and another is fighting it and both like me are early 40s so I’m using that to motivate me.

Sorry your thread was derailed a bit, but you may have gathered there is a glitch on the forum which is showing to some members that you are on insulin. If you wouldn’t mind going into your profile and picking the other type 2 option, there’s two there for some reason. That should fix it.
With regard to your blood sugars. Well done on the improvements you have made so far, keep up the good work. The shakiness is probably due to your body not being used to the lower levels, it won’t bother you for long.

Reactions: Debandez and Jaylee

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am type 2 and NOT on insulin but have been prescribed medication metformin and a statin.

The problem with eyes is of great concern to me, about 15 years ago I suffered with a detached retina due to fluid leaking through the back of my eye. I was told there was nothing they could do but was eye surgeon said he would have a go and managed to reattach with heavy scaring so I have reduced upper vision in one eye. So I do fear my eyes may be weak so I’m a little worried.

I’m into day 4 of low carbs and my reading are improving and the highest I have seen is 10.5, when I started I had a reading in the 20s. I did feel a little shaky this evening so maybe that’s me adjusting but I really feel motivated to sort myself out. I’ve just lost a friend to cancer and another is fighting it and both like me are early 40s so I’m using that to motivate me.
Sounds like you’re gradually improving. Well done. Feeling a little shakey as the levels lower isn’t unusual. It’s known as a false hypo. And you’re right it’s because your body is used to running high it’s taking a bit of time adjusting as it comes down. Bit like a toddler tantrum wanting it’s carbs back! It’ll improve. Just keep checking. On the meds you have a true hypo (under 4) isn’t likely but never say never.

Reactions: Debandez

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry your thread was derailed a bit, but you may have gathered there is a glitch on the forum which is showing to some members that you are on insulin. If you wouldn’t mind going into your profile and picking the other type 2 option, there’s two there for some reason. That should fix it.
With regard to your blood sugars. Well done on the improvements you have made so far, keep up the good work. The shakiness is probably due to your body not being used to the lower levels, it won’t bother you for long.

Hi,

I have selected the other type 2 option, has that fixed my profile glitch?

Thanks again everyone for the support and advice, this place is such a valuable resource, I just hope I won’t annoy people asking to much

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Thanks again everyone for the support and advice, this place is such a valuable resource, I just hope I won’t annoy people asking to much
Thank you for doing that, I was seeing your profile correctly, we’ll have to wait for @Jaylee who was seeing the error to come back on line to confirm is it’s fixed.
This is a great place for support and info, I wouldn’t be as healthy as I am today without it. Don’t worry about asking as many questions as you need to.

M

Member496333

I’ve heard of people’s eyesight going a little blurry as a temporary thing whilst the eye readjusted to a much lower (better) glucose level than it had become accomstomed to. That is very different to damage being caused by lowering numbers to normal. A significant number of forum members have reduced hb1ac numbers, and obviously daily bgl, from very high to below diagnosable levels in a matter of months without problems. I’ll be following the outcome of moderators review of this one closely.

I can confirm through first hand experience that rapidly dropping HbA1c can cause serious eye damage.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I can confirm your medication status has now changed.
My profuse apologies regarding any misconception. My friend.
My intention was to help as an insulin dependant & not to disrupt any specific query. :)

@Jim Lahey & I have been in the same "boat" as With regarding anti-VEGF jabs. We've discussed on other topics I appreciate Jim's input. Thanks Jim. :cool:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many schools of thought on the reduction in A1c.

I re4duced my A1c from 73 to 37 in 4 months, with no issues. Last year, having maintained every A1c in the low 30s, my results showed a change, although a check 3 weeks later (when I received the letter) showed no change evident. Who knows what hapened there.

On the thread @Rachox posted (I think - there were a couple around the same time), there were links to papers suggesting retinal changes actually reflected a far more historic period of "control" (or lack of it) - something like 6 years.

It is also worth remembering that people without diabetes can also develop retinopathy, so whilst we are screened regularly, we are far more likely to be picked up in the earlier stages than Joe Non-DiabeticPulic going about his life business. OK, there is no doubt diabetes increases the chances of retinopathy, but is is absolutely not the only cause.

Just sayin'

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is strange - I had background retinopathy at diagnosis, but it went away even though I dropped my Hba1c by over 40 points in a very short time. I can understand that high BG levels are really damaging to blood vessels - but what harm is normal?

Good to see some informative posts here for people to make informed decisions. I'm no expert, but its not about it being normal, its about the transition of getting from high to normal and the changes in blood pressure along the way causing damage.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see some informative posts here for people to make informed decisions. I'm no expert, but its not about it being normal, its about the transition of getting from high to normal and the changes in blood pressure along the way causing damage.
Ah - you are assuming changes in blood pressure.
One of my wicked pleasures has been watching HCPs not believing my blood pressure measurements, even to the point of getting out an ancient non digital device to check it. Sphygmomanometer doubt strikes again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Does it affect blood pressure? If it does, I had no idea. I've never had high BP except temporarily when I was on a medication that caused it)

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it affect blood pressure? If it does, I had no idea. I've never had high BP except temporarily when I was on a medication that caused it)

It does have an effect, I don't know all the reasons behind it tbh, as I've not researched it in that much detail. Was aware of it occurring. In regards to BP s well, you may not see changes from overall readings, but small changes can have big effects on small vessels etc. So when doctors measure it it may be small/no change but in fact some changes have occurred which have a greater impact on small vessels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does have an effect, I don't know all the reasons behind it tbh, as I've not researched it in that much detail. Was aware of it occurring. In regards to BP s well, you may not see changes from overall readings, but small changes can have big effects on small vessels etc. So when doctors measure it it may be small/no change but in fact some changes have occurred which have a greater impact on small vessels.

Thank you.