ICD Ambulance crews?

Manic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Been diagnosed with type two since 2002ish and up to now have had good control with diet and meds. recently BM has shot up (HbA1c 89) and at last review was told I had three months to get under control or risk going onto insulin.
I work as a driver trainer for an ambulance trust and believe that if I go onto injectable insulin I won't be able to drive or train crews on blue lights.
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who drives emergency vehicles and injects insulin?
If so, are there any other restrictions in your duties?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who drives emergency vehicles and injects insulin?

I believe there is at least one member, but I can't remember who it is! Sorry :sorry:. Have you tried a search on the forum?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Been diagnosed with type two since 2002ish and up to now have had good control with diet and meds. recently BM has shot up (HbA1c 89) and at last review was told I had three months to get under control or risk going onto insulin.
I work as a driver trainer for an ambulance trust and believe that if I go onto injectable insulin I won't be able to drive or train crews on blue lights.
If so, are there any other restrictions in your duties?

Oh dear. That's a bit of a challenge for you there Manic. I can't say I know of any "blue light" workers, who routinely drive.

I don't know what tactics you are trying to work through to improve your HbA1c, because if you can, that's the answer really, but a great number of folks here have had great success in turning their health around, by modifying their eating habits. Several have been able to ditch various meds, including insulin.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m a t1 on insulin, am going through the process of getting my class two provisional, as I’ve been offered a place to train as a paramedic, which includes blue light ambo driving. They wouldn’t have given me that precious place on the course of it wasn’t possible to do it.

However,, as I’m in insulin I have to blood test at least twice a day and every two hours when driving and have a three month unbroken record of doing so. One missed day means I have to start again. I also have to have an annual medical with my consultant.

On the whole, if you can avoid going into insulin it’ll make your life sooooo much easier.

Reactions: ringi and Diakat

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Manic (Thanks @Diakat), I too, am a 'blue light' Police Driver working 24/7 shifts. I am what you might call a Senior Officer so I usually have no idea when I will be suddenly required to get going as it were. (For the record there is a type 1 Officer also on the shift who is also an emergency responder, generally out of the office most of the day). All that is required in my job is a separate Medical assessment which basically looks to see what medication you are on and if it's insulin, they write up a risk assessment/adjustment which takes account of what YOU need and what the jobs needs. They are very good, they look at you as an individual to determine what your management is like, this MAY include access to your medical records so they would see your latest hbA1c for example. They rely on you yourself to make sure you eat and inject as and when, obviously and write into your plan, the fact that you MUST have your meal breaks, (easier said than done of course).

The risk assessment may require you to test at least every two hours (along with DVLA requirements obviously) and the rest of it mirrors what to do if you feel hypo, etc).

There are no other restrictions as such and I don't know whether the Ambulance service do the same. You never know when you are going to be preparing a report or running after someone so I won't say it's easy BUT as long as you are 'managing' your diabetes, they are happy. Hope this helps.

Manic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Manic (Thanks @Diakat), I too, am a 'blue light' Police Driver working 24/7 shifts. I am what you might call a Senior Officer so I usually have no idea when I will be suddenly required to get going as it were. (For the record there is a type 1 Officer also on the shift who is also an emergency responder, generally out of the office most of the day). All that is required in my job is a separate Medical assessment which basically looks to see what medication you are on and if it's insulin, they write up a risk assessment/adjustment which takes account of what YOU need and what the jobs needs. They are very good, they look at you as an individual to determine what your management is like, this MAY include access to your medical records so they would see your latest hbA1c for example. They rely on you yourself to make sure you eat and inject as and when, obviously and write into your plan, the fact that you MUST have your meal breaks, (easier said than done of course).

The risk assessment may require you to test at least every two hours (along with DVLA requirements obviously) and the rest of it mirrors what to do if you feel hypo, etc).

There are no other restrictions as such and I don't know whether the Ambulance service do the same. You never know when you are going to be preparing a report or running after someone so I won't say it's easy BUT as long as you are 'managing' your diabetes, they are happy. Hope this helps.

KK133, thanks to you and all respondents.
I currently hold cat C+E & D licence where DVLA are aware and have issued a three yearly licence.
My OHU are aware and as I am on Gliclizide and Pioglitizone, I currently test to DVLA standards, within two hours of driving and every two hours.
hopefully if the worst happens, I can use your experience that blue light drivers can also be type 1.

Reactions: KK123

Manic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a t1 on insulin, am going through the process of getting my class two provisional, as I’ve been offered a place to train as a paramedic, which includes blue light ambo driving. They wouldn’t have given me that precious place on the course of it wasn’t possible to do it.

However,, as I’m in insulin I have to blood test at least twice a day and every two hours when driving and have a three month unbroken record of doing so. One missed day means I have to start again. I also have to have an annual medical with my consultant.

On the whole, if you can avoid going into insulin it’ll make your life sooooo much easier.

Mel dCP
Good luck with the class two .
With regards to the paramedic training course. I would advise that you do some homework as to which trust you are planning to work for. At the moment, our trust do not employ paramedics that are type 1 ICD.
Some universities that offer paramedic training to those with type 1 diabetes and not giving the full picture.
Best of luck with the paramedic training, its an enjoyable , interesting & worthwhile career.

Manic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear. That's a bit of a challenge for you there Manic. I can't say I know of any "blue light" workers, who routinely drive.

I don't know what tactics you are trying to work through to improve your HbA1c, because if you can, that's the answer really, but a great number of folks here have had great success in turning their health around, by modifying their eating habits. Several have been able to ditch various meds, including insulin.
Thanks for the advice and pointers.
I've signed up to the Low Carb Programme and am working hard to control my BM & HbA1c which are both reducing slowly. I suppose it's an unknown as to how it progresses. I thine the main challenge for me will be keeping motivated.
I have to say that as this is my first post, I am pleased with the supportive comments from members.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice and pointers.
I've signed up to the Low Carb Programme and am working hard to control my BM & HbA1c which are both reducing slowly. I suppose it's an unknown as to how it progresses. I thine the main challenge for me will be keeping motivated.
I have to say that as this is my first post, I am pleased with the supportive comments from members.

Well done on signing up.

Many, many folks have had good successes with the Low Carb Prog. Many others here have found once they realise changing their way of eating doesn't have to mean luttuce leaves and cabbage soup forever, and see the weight coming off, it keeps them motivated.

Clearly, from your own persepctive if as a starter you could swerve insulin management it'd be a great win.

For those working, and I'm sure you will be doing some bonkers shifts, a bit of organisation can be required of in-work/on-shift meals and snacks, if you're a snacker, but there are some great ideas out there.

The LCP has lots of helpful content in the reciped, tips and hints, but there's here too.

Good luck with it all.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mel dCP
Good luck with the class two .
With regards to the paramedic training course. I would advise that you do some homework as to which trust you are planning to work for. At the moment, our trust do not employ paramedics that are type 1 ICD.
Some universities that offer paramedic training to those with type 1 diabetes and not giving the full picture.
Best of luck with the paramedic training, its an enjoyable , interesting & worthwhile career.
I’ll be staying with the Welsh trust, as they’re finding the course in return for a commitment to work for them. They’re well aware of my T1, as I contacted them before applying :)