Tooth loss with type 1 diabetes

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone had problems with tooth loss with regards to type 1 diabetes?
I have lost a number of teeth and have been told that it is through my diabetes. I have had type 1 for 46 years. Unfortunately I am having real difficulty with wearing dentures due to gagging when trying to insert my upper set. I have tried to get implants on the NHS but apparently even though my teeth are falling out and will have difficulty eating when they are all gone I do not come into the category for implants on the NHS.

Has anyone else had any issues like above??

D

Deleted Account

If you BG is high, your body tries to get rid of the excess glucose. This is why one symptom of untreated diabetes is excess weeing.
Another way our bodies try to get rid of the glucose is through saliva. This sugary saliva can rot our teeth (in the same way as sugary sweets).
This is the only connection I know between diabetes and tooth decay.
I have had type 1 for 15 years and lost no teeth in that time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ann1 - The thing is, you need to have good bone structure in your jaws to cope with the work required to create the implants, then maintain them.

If, to quote you, your "teeth are falling out", then I'd be inclined to guess your gum and bone health could be suspect.

Have you been referred to a hygeinist for some help with the issues? They can someetimes formulate a maintenance regime to slow up or stop the issues progressing.

It's not so much a case of being mean with resources as not puting you through very uncomfortable and invasive procedures and probably ending up in a worse position than you started with.

Reactions: kitedoc

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
As with any gob, we need to look after it. Calcium intake, brushing, going to the dentist.

Personally, no. I have genetic horrors which have nothing to do with my diabetes but this has led to me having too many teeth for my small container rather than losing any.

Sometimes I think this is another case of the diabetic label being slapped on something for little reason but I'm no expert.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I am 55 and my teeth have never been worse

Lots of teeth out lots of fillings

I’m T1 and have GORD, GORD causes acid reflux and my dentist says it can damage and erode teeth

My dentist always asks me to test (they have their own meter in case I don’t have mine with me) if I’m having treatment he will not commence unless I’m over 6.0

I think there is a link to diabetes and tooth decay/loss

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that when i did a keto diet my gum health improved dramatically. My hygienist was impressed but i hadn't spent any more time cleaning my teeth yet there was no plaque at all. If you don't put carbs like bread and potatoes into your mouth then they can't turn to sugar.

Edit. I think tooth loss often doesn't happen until we are in our 50s regardless of whether we are diabetic or not.

Last edited:

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But it’s not T1 but high BS level that affects oral hygiene. T1 doesn’t have to mean bad control I hope :)

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But it’s not T1 but high BS level that affects oral hygiene. T1 doesn’t have to mean bad control I hope :)
Yes, I cling strongly to that. Same as with all the nasty complications. If you keep your blood sugar in range and as level as possible, none of those nightmares need happen. Actually, my teeth and gums have improved since my bs is doing good.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet drinks, particularly the dark coloured ones erode tooth enamel as I found out to my cost several years ago. If I could give my young self some advice it would be never to drink them as they are also more addictive than the the full sugar ones.

Reactions: michita

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have one filling that’s so small I don’t even know where it is, but I have had some issues with receding gums due to years of not looking after my diabetes. However, my dentist has noted a marked improvement in how well my gums are gripping my teeth since I achieved normal blood sugars (in my case by getting loads of tech and going low carb). I dimchew a fair bit of gum, especially if I’ve been taking glucose tablets and can’t swill my mouth out with water after.

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your comments.

My blood sugars are actually good and have been for many years.

It is not my teeth that are rotting, it is the gums that are receding. I do visit the dental hygienist (at great expense).

I have always had a good diet and very rarely drink fizzy drinks - maybe one can a year!

I know I am moaning about this and should be grateful that after 46 years of diabetes this is the only complication I have.

Reactions: michita and zand
M

Member496333

Glucotoxicity in the body will doubtless cause oral hygiene problems. This can affect anyone who has glucose dysregulation. I’m not aware that it’s specific to any particular type of diabetes.

D

Deleted Account

After 15 years with type 1, I have no fillings and my hygienist always complements me on my gums.
I am hoping this will continue ... and, if not, I will blame it on old age rather than diabetes.

Reactions: WuTwo and michita

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone had problems with tooth loss with regards to type 1 diabetes?
I have lost a number of teeth and have been told that it is through my diabetes. I have had type 1 for 46 years. Unfortunately I am having real difficulty with wearing dentures due to gagging when trying to insert my upper set. I have tried to get implants on the NHS but apparently even though my teeth are falling out and will have difficulty eating when they are all gone I do not come into the category for implants on the NHS.

Has anyone else had any issues like above??
y

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After 15 years with type 1, I have no fillings and my hygienist always complements me on my gums.
I am hoping this will continue ... and, if not, I will blame it on old age rather than diabetes.
Yes i have had tooth loss i have been a Type 1 diabetic for 19 years and lost lots of teeth in the first few years because of my diabetes i only have 3 teeth left now but you will get used to wearing dentures i had the same problem as you but with time i got used to them .

D

Deleted Account

Yes i have had tooth loss i have been a Type 1 diabetic for 19 years and lost lots of teeth in the first few years because of my diabetes i only have 3 teeth left now but you will get used to wearing dentures i had the same problem as you but with time i got used to them .
I think you replied to the wrong message.
Was this meant for @Ann1 ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
One tooth out here, 5 crowns and a number with root canal therapies by the 52 year mark on insulin.
I also suffer with bruxism (tooth grinding in my sleep) which leads to gum recession and
increases the pressures on the back teeth and removes enamel !!
A night splint helps to stop the teeth grinding causing damage and keeping up teeth and gum health with flossing
and use of inter-dental brushes helps in general but with treatment of hypos over the years and stress of work, BSLs etc -
I think some teeth problems are inevitable.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your comments.

My blood sugars are actually good and have been for many years.

It is not my teeth that are rotting, it is the gums that are receding. I do visit the dental hygienist (at great expense).

I have always had a good diet and very rarely drink fizzy drinks - maybe one can a year!

I know I am moaning about this and should be grateful that after 46 years of diabetes this is the only complication I have.
I would put this down to aging rather than T1.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet drinks, particularly the dark coloured ones erode tooth enamel as I found out to my cost several years ago. If I could give my young self some advice it would be never to drink them as they are also more addictive than the the full sugar ones.

Can I ask what substances in diet drinks erode tooth enamel?