Thrush and Forxiga

Doreenann

I have recently been given Forxiga to add with my Metformin.
I now have Thrush whwich I have never had before,
Is this common with this drug

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes, this drug is known to raise the risk of Thrush and urinary tract infections. See your GP.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The drug prevents the kidneys reabsorbing glucose during the filtration of urine, which has the downside of feeding fungus often on the skin in small amounts but which can become an overgrowth.

The creams prescribed have an active antifungal, but I suspect that they also act as a physical barrier to the fungus.
As you have an infection now it needs treating but you could possibly reduce future risk by using baby wipes or lotions, as they are easily obtained, and might create a barrier to reinfection.

Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Phew that's a sort of relief. I remember my Doctor telling me to watch out for this symptom when she prescribed the tablets back in February. But as i had been exercising hard at the weekend i initially thought it was just some chaffing. But this morning when i actually had a look its definitely not that :yuck:, so I called the doctors surgery who got the duty doctor to call back - useless, ended up with the 'what would you like us to do' question, why do they ask that - they are the ones getting £50k+ a year, and last time i checked i hadn't gone through medical school. Anyway she suggested i got some thrush cream and if not looking better in a couple of days to call back and they would see me, hopefully without a gangrenous scrotum :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on it 5 years and not had thrush once. The trick is to drink lots....... When you think you've drunk enough, drink more. At least 3 litres a day :)