Statins?

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hello everyone, please forgive my ignorance and I suppose laziness on this one but I got a call earlier from the gps' about an appointment for tomorrow to discuss my lft and maybe introducing statins.., all I've heard about statins is to avoid them but I don't know why or what it is they're supposed to do and all this is down to is the courses of antibiotics and now steroids that I'm on. I asked both a Dr and a nurse about the doubling, tripling of my blood sugars but they both said "as it's short term sometimes you have to compromise". My query is, is a short term course of statins ok and nothing to worry about or is it another box I tick on my repeat prescription list and have forever?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Calling @bulkbiker and @Bluetit1802 the cholesterol experts. And having said that Statins are for controlling cholesterol so I’m not sure what connection that has to your lft s which if I’m not mistaken means liver function tests. From what I know of Statins they can possibly raise blood sugars so that wouldn’t be helpful for you. You need a breakdown of your cholesterol numbers to know the read deal with your cholesterol and to make an informed decision. My total is 6.6 which gives my health care team a worry yet my ratios are perfect so I’m not worried.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, please forgive my ignorance and I suppose laziness on this one but I got a call earlier from the gps' about an appointment for tomorrow to discuss my lft and maybe introducing statins.., all I've heard about statins is to avoid them but I don't know why or what it is they're supposed to do and all this is down to is the courses of antibiotics and now steroids that I'm on. I asked both a Dr and a nurse about the doubling, tripling of my blood sugars but they both said "as it's short term sometimes you have to compromise". My query is, is a short term course of statins ok and nothing to worry about or is it another box I tick on my repeat prescription list and have forever?

Have you had your cholesterol tested recently? If not then insist on at least that before starting on the statins. You need to water fast for 12-14 hours beforehand to get an accurate reading and when you do let us know the results and we'll talk you through them.
In the meantime (if you are really bored/concerned/interested) then you could have a read and watch of this thread.. "one I made earlier"

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah, my cholesterol went up from 5.2 on 27th April to 5.9 30th April, doesn't sound much but the wee graph thing made it look terrible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Steroids raise blood sugar levels. There is a type of diabetes known as steroid induced diabetes,, so it is very common and well known that they raise levels. Once you come off them, blood sugars should go back to normal. Could this be what your doc and nurse was talking about?

Statins are to lower cholesterol. That is all, and they too can raise BS levels but not as much as steroids. Before you embark on the statin debate you need full details of your cholesterol test results. (HDL/HDL/Triglycerides) Without this information you are working blind. When you get this information, we can help you understand what it means. Ask the nurse/doctor for a print out so you have the results in black and white.

Another point is, did you fast at least 12 hours for this test? If not, you can expect your triglyceride levels to be raised. If you want to avoid an argument with the doctor/nurse about statins, it may be easier to accept the prescription, then go home with your results, post on here, and then make up your own mind whether to take them or bin them.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, my cholesterol went up from 5.2 on 27th April to 5.9 30th April, doesn't sound much but the wee graph thing made it look terrible.

Total cholesterol is meaningless. It is the HDL (good stuff) and the triglycerides (baddies) that matter. As your total has gone up by 0.7 it could well be that it is your HDL that has gone up, and if so, then well done, that is brilliant and nothing to be concerned about..

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The hdl was measured on 16/03/18 at 1.2 and the ldl was 3.5, again I don't know what these figures mean and what significance they hold over the recent results but it's beginning to look like I have a lot of questions to ask tomorrow, thanks for the information you guys, greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Statin so far I'm aware are not steroids.
Why the the worry about steroids.
I found simvastatin OK but Atorvastatin made really ill - but of course different people may be affected differently

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah sorry about that, I've recently been released from the hospital on 3 different antibiotics and since developed/diagnosed with Bells' Paulsy for which I receive the steroids, one of the antibiotics forced liver monitoring whilst another one raises concern over periphery neuropathy and now the steroids are flipping my blood sugars up. I know to expect some sort of compromise here but I've got all this going on and now they want to add statins into the mix and I'm just a wee bitty concerned.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah sorry about that, I've recently been released from the hospital on 3 different antibiotics and since developed/diagnosed with Bells' Paulsy for which I receive the steroids, one of the antibiotics forced liver monitoring whilst another one raises concern over periphery neuropathy and now the steroids are flipping my blood sugars up. I know to expect some sort of compromise here but I've got all this going on and now they want to add statins into the mix and I'm just a wee bitty concerned.

The threat of statins are the least of your worries at the moment. Forget about your cholesterol - it is not high and of very little concern. Concentrate on getting the bells palsy sorted. Wishing you luck with it all. :)

Reactions: Grant1969

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah, thanks all, appointment attended, advice given and we'll go back to it in a year when everything has settled down, hopefully it's because of other medication and things will level out when I complete the courses of tablets. Happier now .