Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
53992DD4-4A3F-4E7D-AB33-BEC7292E4C51.jpeg
Do they ever agree on anything?
Ha ha! Just looked back on all my readings! Once upon a time normal was 20 - 42! Crucial difference! :joyful:

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 32697
My recent HbA1c shows normal as 20 - 41 on Patient Access!
It is crazy the differences between doctors practices.
My abnormal results are my serum TSH levels slightly higher than normal range. My serum HDL cholesterol level lower than it should be and my serum ALT level very high. Not sure what it all means, guess will find out next Thurs.
Oh missed two my platelet count low and my mean corpusc haemoglobin MCH 0.5 higher than it should be

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is crazy the differences between doctors practices.
My abnormal results are my serum TSH levels slightly higher than normal range. My serum HDL cholesterol level lower than it should be and my serum ALT level very high. Not sure what it all means, guess will find out next Thurs.
Oh missed two my platelet count low and my mean corpusc haemoglobin MCH 0.5 higher than it should be

Was it unexpected to have such a good low HbA1c? What was it last time, and what sort of level did you expect from your finger prick testing? I am asking because thyroid issues and non-standard red blood cells can make the HbA1c inaccurate.

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it unexpected to have such a good low HbA1c? What was it last time, and what sort of level did you expect from your finger prick testing? I am asking because thyroid issues and non-standard red blood cells can make the HbA1c inaccurate.
No it was not unexpected. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July 15 with a HbA1c of 52, within three months dropped to 39, then down to 32, 31, 28 and now 26 through change of life style and losing over 11 stone in weight. Have only been on diet alone option, never needed any medications so I do not finger prick

Add in the weight loss was intention and have been maintaining the weight loss for good few years now

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No it was not unexpected. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July 15 with a HbA1c of 52, within three months dropped to 39, then down to 32, 31, 28 and now 26 through change of life style and losing over 11 stone in weight. Have only been on diet alone option, never needed any medications so I do not finger prick

Well done, that is amazing. Worry not about those that say it is abnormal. It may be unusual, but absolutely not abnormal.

Reactions: Energize

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is amazing. Worry not about those that say it is abnormal. It may be unusual, but absolutely not abnormal.
Thank you :) just need so see what the other abnormal blood test results mean

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you :) just need so see what the other abnormal blood test results mean

Write down all your questions so you don't forget to ask them all, and take a pen so you can write down some of the answers. I always find it helps to have someone with me at these sort of appointments. 4 ears are better than 2, and 2 brains are better than 1 for remembering all that is said.

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Write down all your questions so you don't forget to ask them all, and take a pen so you can write down some of the answers. I always find it helps to have someone with me at these sort of appointments. 4 ears are better than 2, and 2 brains are better than 1 for remembering all that is said.
Thanks, all good advice. My surgery only said I needed a non urgent telephone consultation which is next Thursday, I will write down all my questions and maybe get a friend to be there during the call and take it on speaker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, all good advice. My surgery only said I needed a non urgent telephone consultation which is next Thursday, I will write down all my questions and maybe get a friend to be there during the call and take it on speaker

Good sign that it is a non urgent call. It doesn't seem there is much to be concerned about. Your plan sounds good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Add in the weight loss was intention and have been maintaining the weight loss for good few years now

11 stone that's amazing well done you! Another superstar.. you kept that quiet.. many congratulations you must feel amazing.

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11 stone that's amazing well done you! Another superstar.. you kept that quiet.. many congratulations you must feel amazing.
Thank you, you are very kind. I do feel so much better, and have found maintaining the weight loss lot easier than I thought as I have read so many end up putting the weight back on and more.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, you are very kind. I do feel so much better, and have found maintaining the weight loss lot easier than I thought as I have read so many end up putting the weight back on and more.
Maintenance of that loss is key but by keeping the carbs down for me at least its still fairly effortless and looks like for you too. Still an amazing achievement I'm in complete awe.

keithd01

For the past 5 years my HbA1c has never been above 6.3 (sorry, still using old money) and have been told that that my diabetes control via insulin pen was excellent. Now, having changed medical practice, I am told that my HbA1c is too low and that I am hypo-unaware! Looking back over the last 5 years, on average I have a low blood sugar, I.e below 4.0, once per month, and an incidence of a reading below 3 of about once every 4 months and these are usually as a result of activity. I am aware of hypos because it physically manifests itself with the usual symptoms, but these symptoms only appear when sugar falls to about 3.7 - so I am NOT hypo-unaware. I adjust my insulin (Mixtard 30) dose based on my glucose reading and am now told that this is wrong too! I am told that I MUST stick to a fixed dose irrespective of glucose reading. This seems wrong to me, and basically makes me ask the question 'why bother doing a glucose test 'cos you ignore the result anyway!' What do others think?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gut instinct does make me feel, though, that there are diminishing returns and increased risks in chasing an ever lower a1c just for the sake of it - there's bound to be an "ok-ish" a1c range and getting any lower seems not to bring any added physiological benefits.

I like that paragraph.