Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry if you think this is a stupid question, I was only diagnosed with type 2 just over a month ago, I’m 23 years old.

I’d say for the last 4 weeks my blood sugars in the morning are between a 4.2 and 5.1.
It’s usually the same before meals.
And after meals it’s usually never above a 7.2, ususally around 6.9 or less after an hour and by two hours it’s gone back in the 5s.

I havnt gone low carb or Keto, I follow slimming world to lose weight so do eat rice pasta and potatoes (wholewheat versions), I don’t have huge portion ususally no more than a cup serving, which my blood sugars don’t spike too high.

Yesterday for example I had Wholemeal pizza with veggies on, some homemade overn chips and salad, after an hour it went up to 5.6 then 2 hours a 6, then by the 3rd hour it’s was back to a 4.9.

I’m often getting confused why my body is processing carbs okay compared to some on here, like I read someone only had a table spoon of risotto and their sugars went up to a 9.

Does this mean I maybe havnt caused as much damage and could have a better chance of fixing it better?

I have my first blood test on June since diagnosis and I am sure it’s going to be so much lower than my previous numbers, my numbers have been non diabetic levels.

I do have a lot of weight to lose still but already lost 1.5 stone, I have another 6.5 to lose but I’m happy with the amount of progress I’ve achieved in such a short space of time

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your HbA1c when diagnosed? If it was fairly borderline, did you have a second test to confirm it?

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for clarity - you have not caused your condition, be it type two or prediabetes - no more than you caused the colour of your eyes or the shape of your ears - there is a strong genetic link to the inability to deal with carbs - they are a very recent introduction into the diet and the simple option is to remove the starches and sugars and go back to normal.
My experience was that by keeping my blood glucose in the normal range I lost weight easily, and that the amount of carbs I can eat is exactly the same as when using Atkins to control my weight in the past.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your HbA1c when diagnosed? If it was fairly borderline, did you have a second test to confirm it?
It was a 8.4 then two weeks later was a 7.7...which I know are diabetic levels....but with the past 6 months I’ve had to deal with a lot of stress due to anxiety and family problems which didn’t help my blood sugar levels at all.....but I’ve been in such a better mindframe and losing weight my numbers have returned to normal now, I’m just a little confused my self.

M

Member496333

Never mind arbitrary cut-offs that determine labels. They’re really just different points on the spectrum of insulin resistance. What is more pertinent, is that based on what you’re experiencing, it seems to me like you barely have any insulin resistance at all.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for clarity - you have not caused your condition, be it type two or prediabetes - no more than you caused the colour of your eyes or the shape of your ears - there is a strong genetic link to the inability to deal with carbs - they are a very recent introduction into the diet and the simple option is to remove the starches and sugars and go back to normal.
My experience was that by keeping my blood glucose in the normal range I lost weight easily, and that the amount of carbs I can eat is exactly the same as when using Atkins to control my weight in the past.

I havnt yet cut out all carbs and sugar out of my diet, but I’m losing weigh at a good pace each week, I am more aware of portion sizes but I literally haven’t cut any food groups out

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind arbitrary cut-offs that determine labels. They’re really just different points on the spectrum of insulin resistance. What is more pertinent, is that based on what you’re experiencing, it seems to me like you barely have any insulin resistance at all.

Much earlier in my diagnosis I would say I had a greater amount of insulin resistance, but every week my levels keep coming down....now if I ate a load of garlic bread with a load of pasta I know my blood sugar will go higher than a 7 for sure....but I’ve eaten everything in moderation.

For example on Easter my family did a barbecue, I had lots of salad, fish, quorn with a Wholemeal Pitta bread and bread roll and then had a malteser chocolate bunny, and hour after that it went up to a 6.9 and was back in the 5s 2 hours after

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It was a 8.4 then two weeks later was a 7.7...which I know are diabetic levels....but with the past 6 months I’ve had to deal with a lot of stress due to anxiety and family problems which didn’t help my blood sugar levels at all.....but I’ve been in such a better mindframe and losing weight my numbers have returned to normal now, I’m just a little confused my self.

Those would seem to be glucose levels, not your hba1c level. :)

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine the stress you experienced prior to diagnosis would not have helped. Also what sorts of foods did you eat during that period? Were you eating larger portions, junk food, drinking fizzy pop? If so, that wouldn't have helped either.

You were definitely diabetic when diagnosed but seem to have put yourself in some sort of remission and are showing non-diabetic numbers on your current eating plan. What would happen if you increased those portion sizes is any body's guess. Carry on with what you are doing, it is working for you. Don't worry about labels.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those would seem to be glucose levels, not your hba1c level. :)

No my hba1c was 8.4 then 7.7, when I phoned the doctors and asked that’s what they said....there’s an old and new system isn’t there?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The only labels you need worry about are the ones on food at the store ;)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No my hba1c was 8.4 then 7.7, when I phoned the doctors and asked that’s what they said....there’s an old and new system isn’t there?

Oh, well forget what I posted then :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, those levels are in the old numbers. In new numbers they are 68 and 61.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine the stress you experienced prior to diagnosis would not have helped. Also what sorts of foods did you eat during that period? Were you eating larger portions, junk food, drinking fizzy pop? If so, that wouldn't have helped either.

You were definitely diabetic when diagnosed but seem to have put yourself in some sort of remission and are showing non-diabetic numbers on your current eating plan. What would happen if you increased those portion sizes is any body's guess. Carry on with what you are doing, it is working for you. Don't worry about labels.

I only drink diet fizzy drinks....bearing in mind of a hba1c checks you blood from the last 2/3 months it would of been Christmas and new year so that wouldn’t of helped either!, I’ve not felt like I needed to increase my portion sizes bigger as I feel full and satisfied after my meals

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different but if I had made such great progress I would wear proudly the label of:

Type 2 Diabetes....But you should see my A1c!.

In fact, I may even get a t-shirt done for myself. :)

I agree, what is your a1c now?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree, what is your a1c now?
I recently got my first non Diabetic number and it has taken me far, far longer to get it than some other members but I got it and I am proud of it so that, to me, is more important.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mollyc1995 ..sadly in the race to diabetes Type 2 hundred meters
you crossed the start line and were declared a runner.

However, without wishing to duplicate too much what others have said
the foods you eat and your reactions are going to be personal as you probably know.

Recently i had the joy of eating pretty much unhindered and loving it, without much spiking.

Now i believe in mine, and perhaps in yours, the internal sugar bowl.
(dr jason Fung's description) has been emptied somewhat, me by the course of my actions of so many months,
you maybe by the stress showing the rise quicker, then many of us..(at 23, i'd hope that was so)

and you now being more relaxed with life, allows you to eat less hindered then many on here,
due i think to your sugar bowl being rapidly topped up, by the stress etc,then rapidly reduced by the same factors now missing.

Either way the others are right.
the label matters less, then the fact you now are personally much more aware that Rubbish food IS Rubbish food and we all deserve better..

Go forth carefully, eat well, and know you now have the ability in you, to enjoy easier weight loss and defer if not eliminate your re-entry into the type 2 hundred meters at any future Blood Olympics.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That’s great! Well done, you must be happy with that
Thank you, I am pretty glad. Good Luck, though I doubt you'll need it, for your next review.