Tea or Fiz Pop

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Question for members if I may?
With my evening meal I have a drink of Fizzy Pop, 250ml at 0.6g of carbs/sugar
What would the carbs/sugar be in a cup of tea of the same volume with milk and two teaspoons of sugar?

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Question for members if I may?
With my evening meal I have a drink of Fizzy Pop, 250ml at 0.6g of carbs/sugar
What would the carbs/sugar be in a cup of tea of the same volume with milk and two teaspoons of sugar?
It is approximately 12g of carbs. Tea is 2g and a 5g teaspoon is 5g of carbs. Hope this helps

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(99.95*(0.0426*2))+(4.8*0.3) = 9.95g

Milk volume is assumed because it's not specified.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some diet fizzy drinks are zero carb, so I’d go for them, but then I don’t like tea ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea no sugar every time for me.
I assume 2g carbs per cuppa. (for the milk)

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all. Sounds like me fiz pop wins the day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I say I’d go for diet fizzy drinks, that’s not all the time, I enjoy coffee with carb free nut milks or cream for a hot drink.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have me one cup of tea a day first thing with breakfast. That is that. As has been said 12g verses 0.6g is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Sweetners taste evil to me so they are out. I'd rather do without than suffer a horrible taste.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ardvark
May I suggest either doing without sugar (I find that hard too) or try different sweeteners. I tend to use saccharin and, personally, don't find an after-taste. I have gradually reduced from 2-3 sugars to only one sweetener over the years and can actually manage a cup of tea without any sweetener, if I have to. Coffee, wieth cream, still needs one sweetener for me!!!
It's hard to cut out sweet things but, if you could move over to sweeteners, you'd be doing yourself a huge favour, in my opinion :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried 7Up Free? It has zero carbs and I think any taste from the sweetener is masked by the lime.

D

Deleted Account

I would go for tea... without milk or sugar.
The problem I have with fizzy pop is the artificial sweetener maintains my desire for sweet things. Unsweetened tea reduces that desire.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the way I look at things.
Before I was told I had type 2 I had my tea with milk and two sugars.
It was suggested I had my tea without milk and sugar.
Like a good boy I gave it a try.
Did'nt like it so I stopped drinking tea altogether apart from my cup first thing.
The reason for my first thing cup was to make sure I was'nt hypo driving to work.
Yes I know there are other drinks that are better but this is the way I'm going to do it.
There are other things as well.
Chocolate.
It's bad for us so I tried a 90% coco bar as suggested.
It was evil.
In the bin it went and chocky is now a nogo.
We all can still eat chocky but only a small sliver a day so to me whats the point?
Takeaways.
Way to high in carbs and fat
They are now a nogo.
Sunday dinner.
Now that is bad for me BUT I've been a good boy all week and I'm NOT going to give that up. OK I don't have pudding after but the main meal stays.
I'm not going to let this type 2 thing dictate to me but I still have to suck wind at the end of the day.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ardvark have you tried gradually cutting down on sugar ie have one spoon for a week or so, then half a spoon and then stop it completely. If you still want chocolate the 75% is still not too carby but isn’t as bitter as the 90%. Sunday dinner is not as bad as you think - have loads of meat and veggies and you may be able to have a couple of small roasties - do you test as this will give you an idea as to what you can and shouldn’t eat.