Medication

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok that is for information, you lot are more useful than my doctor, maybe I suggest my dr and diabetes nurse join the forum as they would learn some stuff.

I fasted about 12hrs before my bloods where taken. So if I am understanding what I’ve read and what I now know my cholesterol is a cause for concern but the statins will not help but my reduction in carbs will.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I know. Just quoting the OP :)

I understood but I thought for the benefit of members new to the topic clarity was needed and, besides, I couldn't wait to post that excellent video. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok that is for information, you lot are more useful than my doctor, maybe I suggest my dr and diabetes nurse join the forum as they would learn some stuff.

I fasted about 12hrs before my bloods where taken. So if I am understanding what I’ve read and what I now know my cholesterol is a cause for concern but the statins will not help but my reduction in carbs will.

A reduction in carbs certainly will help increase the HDL, statins will not.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t even see the Dr just the diabetic nurse, the prescription had already been written for me. She explained that my cholesterol was high and it’s normal to take a statin with diabetes medication. I asked what it is supposed to do and was told that it reduces my risk of CVD and stroke and as my diabetes is not under control I am a higher risk.
We talked about my work and I explained I spend alot of time driving around the country and I don’t want to take any medication that could to become drowsy etc. She only mentioned nausea, excess gas and diarrhoea but said they clear quickly.
I will read the other treads for information, my head is spinning a little with everything that is going on, suffering from insomnia since changing to low carb which I guess is a side affect of changing my blood sugar.

Thanks again for your comments
@pau1200 please thoroughly research statins and their side effects before you’ve been on them too long. Like you I was told by my DN that ‘all diabetics should take statins’ and I started taking Pravostatins. My hba1c on diagnosis was 48 and after a couple of months it was 54. After also suffering dizzy spells and sleep disturbance I rang my GP and told him I would not take them anymore and he agreed. My hba1c dropped to non-diabetic figures soon after.

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My last trigs were 1.6 but it wasn’t a fasting test. They are done now with my HBA1C so none fasting. Total 5.9 so probably not bad as none fasting.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on unwins diet Katie andgiancarlow which was serialised in the daily mail for 4 weeks now b sugars now between 4 and 7 used to hover around 10 it’s worked no carbs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My last trigs were 1.6 but it wasn’t a fasting test. They are done now with my HBA1C so none fasting. Total 5.9 so probably not bad as none fasting.

You can still fast voluntarily. It won't affect the HbA1c, but non-fasting will increase the trigs especially if you had a lot of fat with your last food. I am always told no need to fast, but I always do, and make my appointment as early as I can manage in the morning. That seems to be what most of us on here do.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . my cholesterol is at 4 which is high but not that high. Most of the information online suggests that once you start on statins you never come off them. Is this really the case or with the lifestyle change and sticking to it can I be medication free?

My total cholesterol dropped dramatically after I started a low carb diet (not HF and < 50gms carb a day), it gave me the confidence to stop taking atorvastatin after experiencing leg muscle pain and brain fog for 17 years. These days my TC is about 4 although if I start to add things like cream and full fat yogurt to my diet my TC will rise.

Reactions: Krystyna23040