Holidays

Diabetesdave1

Hi I have just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,so far I have managed to lose 10 lbs and stick to a strict diet .I am off to Vietnam can anyone give us an idea what I can get away with eating out and drinking without raising my sugar levels to high

Reactions: jjraak

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be the same as anywhere else i.e. keep the carbs down. Avoid beer but wine and spirits are OK. Vietnamese coffee is great as they are worlds largest producer so try some of that.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,so far I have managed to lose 10 lbs and stick to a strict diet .I am off to Vietnam can anyone give us an idea what I can get away with eating out and drinking without raising my sugar levels to high

recently back from india,

didn't want to spoil the holiday being to vigilant about everything i ate, so decided to test the first week and establish a pattern of foods i could eat.

Surprise was so many foods i thought would affect me with spikes, didn't.
(nan, roti, a little rice, beers, yes, i know ...but it was a holiday...:D )
i tested pre 1 hour/2 hours and sometimes 3..and no spikes.

Now it wasn't religious and i missed some later on, but i was pleasantly surprised.

I was either slightly more able to handle carbs since i began LCHF in october.
OR
the foods here are much MORE processed then the foods there..as in food there were fresher, so less messed about with.

anyway for whatever reason i found eating to be ok.

so i'd be sensible but try some foods and test.
the 'eat to the meter' never seemed more apt.

Be a shame to miss out or spoil a holiday, being overly zealous.
we got sick over many years , a little sensible laxity on one holiday probably won't be as disastrous as you might think,

Go enjoy.

Reactions: Traceymac23

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Dave,

I am absolutely sad about that you're going to vietnam on a low carb diet/ strict diet. Vietnamese pho and Banh mi is the best ;) I'm only saying this because I am vietnamese :) I would say if it's possible to swap out spring rolls for a lettuce wraps or rolls, ask for pho without noodles, just the soup, meat of choice and veg, fried tofu is soooo good, be aware of the sauce - mostly fish sauce, lemon, chilli and sugar.

most of all, enjoy yourself, have fun!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently returned from a couple of months in SE Asia, although we didn't trip over the border into Vietnam. I was pleansantly surprised by the humber of food options I had.

My tactic was quite simply to avoid the abvious stuff; so that meant having the delicious elements, and passing on the steamed rice, or noodles. I also avoided the sweet and sour options, although unlike our takeaway options, there was no batter involved in any I saw.

We ate out every evening, so bearing in mid we were ordering from brief descriptions, and pictures, for the first few weeks I tested fairly diligently, and had no big surprises.

In most cases, the food is cooked on order, so there are no preservatives and so on, and one place in particular we found didn't use any MSG, so we were eating well.

During my time away I lost some weight, which I'm now trying to get back, so it seems healthy living is well and truly possible in these parts.

Have a great time.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
recently back from india,

didn't want to spoil the holiday being to vigilant about everything i ate, so decided to test the first week and establish a pattern of foods i could eat.

Surprise was so many foods i thought would affect me with spikes, didn't.
(nan, roti, a little rice, beers, yes, i know ...but it was a holiday...:D )
i tested pre 1 hour/2 hours and sometimes 3..and no spikes.

Now it wasn't religious and i missed some later on, but i was pleasantly surprised.

I was either slightly more able to handle carbs since i began LCHF in october.
OR
the foods here are much MORE processed then the foods there..as in food there were fresher, so less messed about with.

anyway for whatever reason i found eating to be ok.

so i'd be sensible but try some foods and test.
the 'eat to the meter' never seemed more apt.

Be a shame to miss out or spoil a holiday, being overly zealous.
we got sick over many years , a little sensible laxity on one holiday probably won't be as disastrous as you might think,

Go enjoy.

could be just being chilled out offsetting all of those beers?