Insulin out of fridge

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I spend a lot of time in Spain. I am on 2 x insulin (basal/bolus) and had 2 packs of each to bring last week. My husband bought a mini fridge to plug into car and the ferry because the frío cooler pack was not big enough for all the pens. We also had an overnight stay in a hotel. All worked well until we actually arrived at our destination when we realised the fridge had disconnected at some point during the last leg of our journey.... which was a marathon 12 hour stretch! The fridge was room temperature and the 4 boxes of insulin were barely cool. I don’t know how long the fridge was off for. The car was full to the brim as we were bringing a lot of stuff and The fridge was at the back of the car by the power socket and couldn’t be seen.
I put the insulin straight in the fridge but fear it may be wasted. Can anyone please advise.
Obviously when needed I can try the insulin and if it simply doesn’t work I will have to order and pay for some here in Spain. But I just wondered if anyone knows how long it can remain out of the fridge. Thank you

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Ronnie_dog the insulin should be fine so long as it is not overheated of frozen, if it's at room temp you should be ok, I've travelled to many countries in the past with insulin and not used cool packs and been fine. Mind you normal when I get to my destination then will stick the insulin in the fridge.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Thanks for your reply xxx

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im no expert so please ignore, just to hopefully ease your mind, I have three Novorapid pens on the go at once, one in my living room, one in my office and one in my van, none are refridgerated, can last for ages, hasnt seemed to stop it working or killed me, I commute on a motorbike so its a pain carrying stuff.

This is not meant as advice for anyone or suggesting anyone else should do this.

Reactions: Ronnie_dog

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I think it's a bit of a grey area. You write that the insulin reached room temperature and the thing to be wary of is that "may" have triggered the 28 day countdown on the usage limit for the whole lot.

The insulin would have to get quite warm to be completely useless but warmth "may" accelerate the decay as I once had a couple of pens last only about 2 weeks in warmer weather, and I noticed that the insulin wasn't doing much for my numbers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ronnie_dog - Do you have more insulin waiting for you at home when you return? That way, if you have any concerns when you get home, you can always use a fresh set.

I'm not an insulin user so wouldn't like to comment further on what's transpired.

Reactions: Ronnie_dog

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Ronnie_dog , insulin is a lot tougher than the patient information leaflet (which will have been vetted by lawyers to minimise litigation risks) makes out.

I once went backpacking in Asia for six months (including a spell in India where temps were hitting 48 degrees), my insulin spent most of its time in a backpack in shaded places under hostel beds, and it was absolutely fine.

Reactions: Ronnie_dog and Dodo

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @Ronnie_dog , insulin is a lot tougher than the patient information leaflet (which will have been vetted by lawyers to minimise litigation risks) makes out.

I once went backpacking in Asia for six months (including a spell in India where temps were hitting 48 degrees), my insulin spent most of its time in a backpack in shaded places under hostel beds, and it was absolutely fine.

Thank you all for your replies. I shall give it a go and hope it works and is not wasted. Worst case scenario is that it doesn’t and I buy here if necessary.
I think common sense will prevail.
Happy bank holiday to all in uk.

Reactions: Knikki