Type 2 Lack of low Carb meals in NHS mental health unit

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I've been admitted to hospital recently due to mental health problems. I've been on the keto diet for 3 months and they literally have nothing for me to eat! I had 2 rounds of toast earlier because mo matter how hard I try to explain about keto diet nobody seems to understand what I mean and keep offering me fruit! I'm already struggling a lot and don't really know what to do. My sugars haven't been any higher than 7 for a long time. Just 2 rounds of toast put me up to 9.6, am getting a bit worried now =(

Thanks

Zoe

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry about your hospitalisation, and your food predicament. I'm afraid it is the same whichever NHS hospital you are in. The only alternatives are to see if there is a canteen you could use, or to ask family and friends to bring food in for you. The nurses usually have a rest room with a fridge, and are likely to allow you to use it. Other than that, it is omelettes every meal! When I was an in-patient my husband brought me food, which I did keep in the nurses' fridge, and then managed as best I could from the menu choices, although I did end up with toast or sandwiches. The salads on offer were dreadful!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I wish I had some better advice for you Zoe. I can understand how awful a position this places you in.

You know how to choose the lesser of the evils on offer and to start with this is all you can do.

Try to come up with a few options that you know the kitchen will be able to muster up for you.

a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast is a simple one. They love to dish out porridge and cereals that is not a good choice for you.

See what you can adapt from their menu to suit you, without them having to change what they have planned for everybody that day. Go for the jelly and ice cream avoiding their 'jam roly poly or sponge pud with custard.
Fish is a good option whenever its on the menu.

Ask if you could have double cream in you coffee (if you can afford it, ask somebody to buy you some and keep it in the kitchen fridge 'JUST for you!)

Try and befriend a member of the kitchen staff and tell them why this is so important to you.

Explain to the doctor/ person in charge that 'We are what we eat' and it is important for you to maintain a healthy diet for peace of mind as well as body.

Having been where you are Zoe please know I am thinking you... as I'm sure you will find Zoe, so will so many others here.

Po

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
M

Member496333

A hospital stay is possibly my worst nightmare in terms of maintaining my dietary standards. I completely understand your concern and frustration.

Very best wishes with the mental health problems. Hopefully it’s something you can overcome in the fullness of time.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathise hugely, I was in hospital for 5 days in February. I had my own yoghurts stored in the ward fridge for breakfast and the other two meals I had omelettes every time with salad or veg. I had babybel cheeses, nuts and protein bars to fill in the gaps as the omelettes were very small. There was no help, when I asked to speak to a dietitian I was refused :(

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have just been in hospital last month for a virus that greatly increased my BG levels, and find it absurd that the choices 'For diabetics' was more Diabolical than diabetic.

Po

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Our hospital isn't only diabolical as far as diabetes is concerned. A few years ago I was in, before I was diabetic and eating anything I wanted. Everything was bland, poorly cooked, lukewarm, low in salt and no salt pots to be had, tasteless and often inedible. I actually mentioned it on the appraisal forms we were asked to complete on discharge.

Reactions: West335

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so sorry about your hospitalisation, and your food predicament. I'm afraid it is the same whichever NHS hospital you are in. The only alternatives are to see if there is a canteen you could use, or to ask family and friends to bring food in for you. The nurses usually have a rest room with a fridge, and are likely to allow you to use it. Other than that, it is omelettes every meal! When I was an in-patient my husband brought me food, which I did keep in the nurses' fridge, and then managed as best I could from the menu choices, although I did end up with toast or sandwiches. The salads on offer were dreadful!
Thank you for your reply. They don't even have omolettes as an option. I guess I'll see if my mum can bring some bits up

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I had some better advice for you Zoe. I can understand how awful a position this places you in.

You know how to choose the lesser of the evils on offer and to start with this is all you can do.

Try to come up with a few options that you know the kitchen will be able to muster up for you.

a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast is a simple one. They love to dish out porridge and cereals that is not a good choice for you.

See what you can adapt from their menu to suit you, without them having to change what they have planned for everybody that day. Go for the jelly and ice cream avoiding their 'jam roly poly or sponge pud with custard.
Fish is a good option whenever its on the menu.

Ask if you could have double cream in you coffee (if you can afford it, ask somebody to buy you some and keep it in the kitchen fridge 'JUST for you!)

Try and befriend a member of the kitchen staff and tell them why this is so important to you.

Explain to the doctor/ person in charge that 'We are what we eat' and it is important for you to maintain a healthy diet for peace of mind as well as body.

Having been where you are Zoe please know I am thinking you... as I'm sure you will find Zoe, so will so many others here.

Po
Thank you for the reply and kind words. These places can be very lonely. Im speaking to a doctor tomorrow as there's none on today with it being bank holiday, hopefully I can get them to understand =) once again thank you

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our hospital isn't only diabolical as far as diabetes is concerned. A few years ago I was in, before I was diabetic and eating anything I wanted. Everything was bland, poorly cooked, lukewarm, low in salt and no salt pots to be had, tasteless and often inedible. I actually mentioned it on the appraisal forms we were asked to complete on discharge.
Oh my goodness the salt thing! They're obsessed with low sodium and I'm just like, I've got cramp here, I need more salt! When will people realise salt is good for us and sugar is the devil

Edited for language by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for the reply and kind words. These places can be very lonely. Im speaking to a doctor tomorrow as there's none on today with it being bank holiday, hopefully I can get them to understand =) once again thank you

You are more than welcome my friend.

You may like to read some poetry, it will hopefully inspire you to find a pen and paper and sit calmly and write whatever comes into your mind.

I find poetry, 'reading and or writing' a great way to unwind and relax. You can write it and bin it if you wish, or you might find that somewhere like... https://www.writeoutloud.net a great place to post stuff and get some positive feedback.

It is a great site with some very friendly members... a lot like this one!

Check out my blog to see some of my doggerel ;)

Enjoy
Po

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh my god the salt thing! They're obsessed with low sodium and I'm just like, I've got cramp here, I need more salt! When will people realise salt is good for us and sugar is the devil

When hell freezes over! Even then someone will still find a way to spoil our day with heaps of the white crystals that are Oh! so sweet.

Po

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are more than welcome my friend.

You may like to read some poetry, it will hopefully inspire you to find a pen and paper and sit calmly and write whatever comes into your mind.

I find poetry, 'reading and or writing' a great way to unwind and relax. You can write it and bin it if you wish, or you might find that somewhere like... https://www.writeoutloud.net a great place to post stuff and get some positive feedback.

It is a great site with some very friendly members... a lot like this one!

Check out my blog to see some of my doggerel ;)

Enjoy
Po
Thank you ill check it out soon

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A hospital stay is possibly my worst nightmare in terms of maintaining my dietary standards. I completely understand your concern and frustration.

Very best wishes with the mental health problems. Hopefully it’s something you can overcome in the fullness of time.
Thank you

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathise hugely, I was in hospital for 5 days in February. I had my own yoghurts stored in the ward fridge for breakfast and the other two meals I had omelettes every time with salad or veg. I had babybel cheeses, nuts and protein bars to fill in the gaps as the omelettes were very small. There was no help, when I asked to speak to a dietitian I was refused :(
It's so difficult. No omelette where I am either. And just 2 slices of toast make me feel terrible, my bodies like noooo. I've just been picking bits out of curries and chillis and stuff

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ask friends or relatives to bring in hardboiled eggs in shells plus a small pot of salt and some napkins/kitchen paper to keep for meals (safe until the next day at least), and cheese etc to eat while they are with you?

Reactions: Antje77

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask friends or relatives to bring in hardboiled eggs in shells plus a small pot of salt and some napkins/kitchen paper to keep for meals (safe until the next day at least), and cheese etc to eat while they are with you?
That's a good idea, didn't think about somebody bringing them pre boiled!

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good idea, didn't think about somebody bringing them pre boiled!

West335, you could have a think about some things to eat, not requiring refrigeration for a day or tw - like the hard boiled eggs. In my head I'd have packs of nuts, or pork scratchings. Pepperami, or protein bars. Little tins of tuna or mackerel.

All those things could live in your bedside locker?

I have a deal with my OH, that should I even end up in hospital, he'll bring me emergency rations!

I hope you're feeling better soon

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
West335, you could have a think about some things to eat, not requiring refrigeration for a day or tw - like the hard boiled eggs. In my head I'd have packs of nuts, or pork scratchings. Pepperami, or protein bars. Little tins of tuna or mackerel.

All those things could live in your bedside locker?

I have a deal with my OH, that should I even end up in hospital, he'll bring me emergency rations!

I hope you're feeling better soon
Thank you. My mother is visiting me tomorrow so I'll get her to pick up some bits. Didn't really think about that, just not really thinking logicaly at the minute