Type 2 Lack of low Carb meals in NHS mental health unit

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. My mother is visiting me tomorrow so I'll get her to pick up some bits. Didn't really think about that, just not really thinking logicaly at the minute

LIDL and ALDI are perfect for that sort of thing, so much available. Do you have access to a microwave? There are some excellent tins of meaty things that are low carb in most supermarkets, especially M&S. How about a chicken shish kebab takeout, hold the pita? That can be delivered and I bet if you tell the staff they will want in in that too!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would do eggs, ham and tomatos with teas. They must have these. I would ask for bell peppers and onions to bulk things out, plain yogurt (they would probably be low fat) and berries if they have them. I would not eat their carby rubbish. If I were not getting any joy with the staff, I would walk out of the ward and talk to any administrator who would listen; if you have friends or family maybe they can help.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would do eggs, ham and tomatos with teas. They must have these. I would ask for bell peppers and onions to bulk things out, plain yogurt (they would probably be low fat) and berries if they have them. I would not eat their carby rubbish. If I were not getting any joy with the staff, I would walk out of the ward and talk to any administrator who would listen; if you have friends or family maybe they can help.

What NHS do you have access to! None of that is available, the vast majority of food is pre made, chilled and put in a trolley that’s plugged in on the wards to reach final temperature. The sandwiches, fruit (bananas, oranges and apples) and yoghurts (fruit flavoured, low fat with sugar added) are usually stored in the ward fridges.
If it’s served under heated units, it’s mass produced, carb heavy (cheese and potato pie, pasta and chips) and cooked in seed oils.

If any of you have had better NHS food than that, let us know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not agree more. All pre-cooked ready meals. They look like slop. No pick and chose. Either its on the menu or not. No proper cream or yogurts, all chemically produced, never seen a cow. The ice cream was all chemicals with no cream involved. It was diabolical. The sandwiches were those you buy in supermarkets, made and boxed in a factory hundreds of miles away. It seems beyond them to make fresh ones on site.

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What NHS do you have access to! None of that is available, the vast majority of food is pre made, chilled and put in a trolley that’s plugged in on the wards to reach final temperature. The sandwiches, fruit (bananas, oranges and apples) and yoghurts (fruit flavoured, low fat with sugar added) are usually stored in the ward fridges.
If it’s served under heated units, it’s mass produced, carb heavy (cheese and potato pie, pasta and chips) and cooked in seed oils.

Yeah honestly every meal here is preprepared, it's awful. Getting more sick in hospital!

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah honestly every meal here is preprepared, it's awful. Getting more sick in hospital!
It's actually a joke. People are in hospital to get better, not more sick. I know am on a mental health ward but am pretty sure the main hospitals the same. They don't even just have meat and salad which confirms its all ready meals and yes, packaged sandwiches

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Ok, optimistic. Surely they have eggs, I feel confident they are not allowed to have you starve. Under no circumstances would I do high carb, I respect my body more than that. I would rather get myself in debt with customised takeaways.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, optimistic. Surely they have eggs, I feel confident they are not allowed to have you starve. Under no circumstances would I do high carb, I respect my body more than that. I would rather get myself in debt with customised takeaways.

No, they don’t have eggs. Everything is bought in pre made, frozen and in bulk. Even the omelettes. They follow the eatwell plate and the ‘diabetic’ choices consist of the fake spread/low fat rubbish. I wouldn’t even eat the insides of the sandwiches, the ham is reformed and full of sugar and the grated cheese will be covered in rice or potato flour.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

...and to add, the few times I’ve been an inpatient in 11 years of low carbing I either took food with me or made frantic calls to friends to bring food in. The WRVS also sell cheese, grenade bars, nuts and sugar free drinks in an emergency.

Reactions: Rylando88

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No, they don’t have eggs. Everything is bought in pre made, frozen and in bulk. Even the omelettes. They follow the eatwell plate and the ‘diabetic’ choices consist of the fake spread/low fat rubbish. I wouldn’t even eat the insides of the sandwiches, the ham is reformed and full of sugar and the grated cheese will be covered in rice or potato flour.
Worse than school meals. I hope when petitions come forth in protest on this type of abuse, we all support these. I will be instructing my family tomorrow that if I am unfortunate enough to need saline, I do not want the glucose version and if I am not in a position to discuss anything I do not want carbs.

D

Deleted member 308541

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worse than school meals. I hope when petitions come forth in protest on this type of abuse, we all support these. I will be instructing my family tomorrow that if I am unfortunate enough to need saline, I do not want the glucose version and if I am not in a position to discuss anything I do not want carbs.

Much worse. I’ve done the same with my family regarding care I’m unable to discuss. You may want to look at total parenteral nutrition too.
I also have a problem with my lumbar spine that means if I lay flat I end up in excruciating agony for weeks and that really scares me. The last minor surgery I had I made sure they understood the need to keep my knees bent but they ignored it. I woke up screaming in pain, ****** *****. It’s so bad I’ve made them promise to bury me on my side.

@West335 how about a small cool box? Could your visitors swap ice packs?

Post edited for insulting language.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

It’s so bad I’ve made them promise to bury me on my side.
I have a breathing problem (COPD) when I lie on my back and go into AFib, I am getting cremated so I do not have be on my back at all ...ever.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some other low carb stuff that doesn't need a fridge - celery, cucumber, few cherry tomatoes, lettuce to make wraps for small tins tuna, salmon, nut butters - be careful with portion size, strawberries are the best berries out of the fridge, pork scratchings, a few nuts, not peanuts or cashews, sugar free jellies, a little bit of dark chocolate is a nice treat to have with your cuppa.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a breathing problem (COPD) when I lie on my back and go into AFib, I am getting cremated so I do not have be on my back at all ...ever.

No cremation for me, cardboard box, hole in the ground, tree on top.

Being unconscious and unable to control what happens scares the living daylights out of me, do you feel the same?

D

Deleted member 308541

No cremation for me, cardboard box, hole in the ground, tree on top.

Being unconscious and unable to control what happens scares the living daylights out of me, do you feel the same?
I ordered a cardboard coffin, no need for a hole in the ground dug, and ashes scattered under a shady tree.

That's why I have a advanced health directive to help with those fears.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Zoe,
I'm so sorry to hear your in hospital, I was lucky when I was in. I could have meat and a lovely salad in a plastic bowl.
Even low sugar jellies and yogurts.
Hope your family/friends can bring you items in, the dinner lady even asked what hot meals I wanted and they checked to see if they could get.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

Reactions: West335

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Zoe,
I'm so sorry to hear your in hospital, I was lucky when I was in. I could have meat and a lovely salad in a plastic bowl.
Even low sugar jellies and yogurts.
Hope your family/friends can bring you items in, the dinner lady even asked what hot meals I wanted and they checked to see if they could get.
I hope you feel better very soon.
Take care
Well I managed to actually get some food today. 2 bacon chops and baked beans. Not exactly keto but definitely more on the low Carb side and my belly is finally full

Reactions: Bluetit1802

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a good idea, didn't think about somebody bringing them pre boiled!
If I had to go in, I'd treat it as a chance to fast! Or bring in some nut butter (unsweetened) to keep in my drawer. If your mum is up for it perhaps she could make you some 'fat bombs' for snacks e.g. roll coconut oil, nut butter with some coconut and cocoa. Lots of recipes out there but avoid the ones with dried fruit in.
Ultimately I guess you should try not to be stressed about something like toast given your lack of control over the NHS kitchens. It may be stressful enough being an in patient and having your routine disrupted and that stress increases blood glucose.
Hopefully this is a short term admission and you can regard any deviations from keto as an interesting experiment in what happens to your bg levels and insulin needs when you go off plan. I like the poetry idea (you can also listen to poetry on your phone if that's easier) as you walk around.
My best wishes to you and let us know how your are getting on!