Oh no, I think I was given the wrong drink

galgal

Went out at lunchtime today, and had a home-made lunch made up of wholewheat bread and some tuna. (as I do every day). I went into a pub/restaurant and just ordered a diet coke while reading the paper. However now two hours after, I just did a blood sugar test and find that my blood sugar is 9.8.
Which really scared me, as it hasn't been that high since just after being diagnosed.

how can I get it back down quickly. I don't like it being this high.

The only thing I can think of is that I was given a regular coke instead of a diet. I can't really tell the difference as I am not a coke drinker but felt quite thirsty today for some reason.

louiseb

you could drinking water it can lower your bg a little, or go for a walk as some excercise can also lower bg.
however dont panic, 9.8 is not ideal but as one off its not a big deal and as you say it was most likely due to drinking coke and your bg will come back soon enough by itself without you oding anything, just dont eat or drink anything else for a few hours until it has come back down.

galgal

thanks Louise - just drank a bottle of water there to try and dilute it a bit. I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't watch the person pour the coke. Lesson learned. I need to watch everything and not trust that somebody won't make a mistake. I can't really go for a walk as I am at work. Otherwise Id be off walking it off. Thanks

louiseb

I can understand your annoyed and have a right to be, but maybe in future only accept a bottle of diet or can of diet coke rather than a glass and you will know for sure.

Lucero

Had a similar experience today... just finished eating chicken and salads with tomatoes on it, however, an hour passed and I bought a 16 oz coconut water asking if it was pure and no sugar in it... 1 hour after I tested 195 mg/dl and then 2 hours after had a 137 mg/dl...

I'll surely will ask tomorrow if there was really no sugar indeed in their coconut water...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Galgal,

This happens to often in pubs and restaurants and is very annoying, as a rule now I only order soft drinks from bottles or just order a fresh coffee instead if I'm driving, on previous threads on this subject members have reported restaurant chains mistakenly attaching full sugar coke to the diet coke lines! :shock:

Hope your bg comes down soon.

Nigel

Grazer

Lucero said:
Had a similar experience today... just finished eating chicken and salads with tomatoes on it, however, an hour passed and I bought a 16 oz coconut water asking if it was pure and no sugar in it... 1 hour after I tested 195 mg/dl and then 2 hours after had a 137 mg/dl...

I'll surely will ask tomorrow if there was really no sugar indeed in their coconut water...

I think coconut water has highish levels of natural sugars anyway, so would put your bg up

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
You need to be aware of misleading descriptions such as 'no adder sugar' which means the ingredients used, which usually is fruit based already has natural sugar, by 'no added sugar' it means no further sugar was added to the drink, you need to make sure it clearly says sugar FREE.

I try to get bottles or cans where possible, sometimes it's not available in smaller places, i simply double check when given the drink with a simple 'This is diet yeah?' just to double check, if they show any doubt in knowing i simply tell them i have diabetes and it's important that it's definately sugar free. Every time this has happened the person in doubt will replace the drink making sure it's diet.

I also on occasion in doubt have used my glucose meter to test to see if it's diet. I was recently in a ccertain bar which i will not name but it is a chain along the UK and wherever else. I tasted my drink and doubted it was diet, i tested and got a reading in the 5's.. usually a diet coke will give me a 'LO' reading as the sugar content is too low to give a number, and normal cake will give a 'HI' as it is too high to give a number reading.

I was very concerned that they were 'watering down' Full sugar syrup to mask it as diet coke as i have heard rumours that this is being put to practice, but never really thought about it... as it was a very unsusual reading to give. I asked the person who served me if it was diet and he was certain it was but was happy to replace it... i tested it again and this again gave me a reading of the 5's. As it was busy i didn't want to make a fuss and simply left and will not be returning to that certain chain of bars again. I obviously can't be entirely sure this was the case but it certainly seemed very fishy to me!

Snodger

ebony321 said:
I also on occasion in doubt have used my glucose meter to test to see if it's diet.
how do you do it, ebony, do you literally put a drop of coke on the meter test strip as if it were a drop of blood?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Can also use the urine test sticks as well to see if its full fat coke or not

RussG

Snodger said:
ebony321 said:
I also on occasion in doubt have used my glucose meter to test to see if it's diet.
how do you do it, ebony, do you literally put a drop of coke on the meter test strip as if it were a drop of blood?

I have done this a couple of times, particularly with PepsiMax, which does taste different to Diet Coke and has worried me once or twice. I've simply put the strip in and dipped the end very briefly into the drink. It has always just come up as LO.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Yeah it's quite simple, instead of dropping blood on the strip you just dip the end in the drink and it should read as LO if it's diet.

You can also use urine test sticks too if you use those, it will change colour depending on how much glucose is in the drink.