Black strap molasses

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, we're all probably very similar having our inboxes inundated with the latest must have miracle food for diabetes.
The latest one for me is molasses. Has anyone tried it, recommend it as I have a jar lurking in my cupboard.
I know sugars/carbs are our enemy but this is so unrefined it will process slowly, slow spikes etc etc.
I would be grateful of any and all info.... Or shall I just move away from the jar

Reactions: catarinagallo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sugarlips Sugar is sugar in whatever form it takes, so the effect on your blood glucose levels is the same, whether you eat treacle, honey or molasses.

Reactions: catarinagallo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No worries @sugarlips It's a pity that spammers resort to using molasses as a 'diabetes food' to entice folk into reading their rubbish, shows the depths they are prepared to go to.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to confirm what’s already been said! Shocking that people are going to be taken in by this propaganda :wideyed:
Good move to wash it down the sink!

4B5FB2CD-800F-4A25-AFFF-456DBC3245D8.jpeg

D

Deleted member 308541

Use MailWasher Pro as I do, and you will not get spam emails tempting you with cure alls and instant riches. :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I certainly can’t imagine that molasses ever being involved in curing diabetes, I am a keto carnivore relying on diet to control my blood glucose, and I regularly use pomegranate molasses in cooking.

Yes, it is around 70g carbs per 100g of molasses, but that is OK.
I use maybe 10-15ml of it in a big dish of spiced meat (6-8 servings), or a couple of drops to replace mango chutney over a curry. And before I turned carnivore, I used to love tiny ribbons of it drizzled over bigger drizzles of mayo, over a largegreen salad.

Each portion probably less than 2g carbs from the molasses, but packing a delightful punch in flavour and zing.

I don’t see any food as dreadful or forbidden. It just makes sense to me to use foods consciously, and with tight portion control.

Reactions: Shas3 and WuTwo

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
While I certainly can’t imagine that molasses ever being involved in curing diabetes, I am a keto carnivore relying on diet to control my blood glucose, and I regularly use pomegranate molasses in cooking.

Yes, it is around 70g carbs per 100g of molasses, but that is OK.
I use maybe 10-15ml of it in a big dish of spiced meat (6-8 servings), or a couple of drops to replace mango chutney over a curry. And before I turned carnivore, I used to love tiny ribbons of it drizzled over bigger drizzles of mayo, over a largegreen salad.

Each portion probably less than 2g carbs from the molasses, but packing a delightful punch in flavour and zing.

I don’t see any food as dreadful or forbidden. It just makes sense to me to use foods consciously, and with tight portion control.
Very wise, thanks to all

Reactions: Shas3

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, we're all probably very similar having our inboxes inundated with the latest must have miracle food for diabetes.
The latest one for me is molasses. Has anyone tried it, recommend it as I have a jar lurking in my cupboard.
I know sugars/carbs are our enemy but this is so unrefined it will process slowly, slow spikes etc etc.
I would be grateful of any and all info.... Or shall I just move away from the jar
I suppose it depends how much you have of it - if you only have a small amount it may not be too ‘carby’.

Whitmarsh

Feel free to try it... but yes, it's simply sugar in another form. Healthy maybe.... if you're not diabetic.

Of the 60 calories found in a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, 52 of them come from its 13 grams of carbohydrates, with the rest coming from trace amounts of protein..

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sure hope there's no molasses in my rum... :)

Pauloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 diabetic: 68 yr M
Read read read till your eyes bleed as they say .
Information is utmost importance though some use the web to fool some .
Common sense does prevail.
Eat a good selection healthy foods for us diabetics
Another point is excerise keep the oil moving.