Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, @helensaramay, I’m usually very choosy too but having listened to our friend talk of all the wonderful things Age UK does in this area I just had to have a look at the shop. Apparently they all know it needs an overhaul and as the current manager will be bowing out soon no doubt it’ll get it.
One of the things Age UK has done here is set up a podiatry service and pay for qualifications for those who work in it - it’s very cheap compared with private podiatry and a godsend now that the NHS have seriously pruned provision.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw, hope he’s just tired, not sickening for something. Have lovely lovely cuddles.

Had a nightmare about 2am and was awake a couple of hours. Made it to the park later on. Insisted on negotiating a very tall slide. Gulp! Nana behind going up steps and Pops at bottom. 1st time he’s done it apparently. Had lots of cuddles today. All the running around certainly helps with levels.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Had a nightmare about 2am and was awake a couple of hours. Made it to the park later on. Insisted on negotiating a very tall slide. Gulp! Nana behind going up steps and Pops at bottom. 1st time he’s done it apparently. Had lots of cuddles today. All the running around certainly helps with levels.

Glad he’s well Becca! I remember younger daughter’s concern when older grandson first did a long, curly slide on his own. It was covered for the last few yards so she went down behind him and I waited at the bottom. He was fine. Daughter was pregnant with grandson number two and when she didn’t reappear I wondered if I’d need to go and get some WD40. She got there in the end but it had been a bit of a squeeze.
The early years seem to go too fast.

Reactions: becca59

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Have you guys heard of "Hollow Highs"?
I have been reading through the compulsory "training" for the Libre and came across this term for the first time.

Apparently, highs due to stress are called "Hollow Highs" and only need half as much insulin to correct as highs due to miscounting carbs.
I can't say I am convinced. For me, my correction ratio is the same ... unless my BG is high and I become insulin resistant.
And, if the stress continues, I need to increase my basal ... which was not mentioned in the Libre training.

To be honest most of the training is aimed at injecting rather than pump. The only pump part was saying that lots of basal rates is bad and some people doing really well pumping with only one basal rate. If that's the case, why do they need a pump?

Never heard of a hollow high. Odd. I get stressy and just treat any highs as normal. Works for me.

I don't pump, but agree that a singe basal rate seems to rather defeat the purpose of the thing.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Been digging and nettle bashing as well as doing the online marking first......
Mr B's cooking tonight and I'm sure I'm going to have to bolus!!
I got a lovely, lovely letter today from a hospice in my home. My late sister had left them some money in her will and they said they would be planting a rose in her memory in their garden. The letter was wonderful.
Hope everyone has happy thoughts and lots of brill memories:)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have been reading through the compulsory "training" for the Libre and came across this term for the first time.

Apparently, highs due to stress are called "Hollow Highs" and only need half as much insulin to correct as highs due to miscounting carbs.
I can't say I am convinced. For me, my correction ratio is the same ... unless my BG is high and I become insulin resistant.
And, if the stress continues, I need to increase my basal ... which was not mentioned in the Libre training.

To be honest most of the training is aimed at injecting rather than pump. The only pump part was saying that lots of basal rates is bad and some people doing really well pumping with only one basal rate. If that's the case, why do they need a pump?
Whereever do they come up with such information @heñensaramay? Hollow highs indeed. No mix up with Halloween ¿? Would love to see them provide data on the supposed difference between stress and extra carbs. Too many variables to be that prescriptive i woukd have thought! And why are they giving advice on pump basal rates - how is that really relevant overall and again, where is the proof?

Reactions: WuTwo

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've not heard the term hollow high but I tend to get a raise from driving on my commute. In the morning I take a correction dose that I know will deal with it but in late afternoon/early evening I would take half of a moderate dose as it tends to partially come down on it's own about 20-30 minutes after I stop driving at that time.

I could theorise it's something to do with the liver grabbing some of what it's put out back when it decides the stress has passed but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: hh1 and kitedoc

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes, @helensaramay, I’m usually very choosy too but having listened to our friend talk of all the wonderful things Age UK does in this area I just had to have a look at the shop. Apparently they all know it needs an overhaul and as the current manager will be bowing out soon no doubt it’ll get it.
One of the things Age UK has done here is set up a podiatry service and pay for qualifications for those who work in it - it’s very cheap compared with private podiatry and a godsend now that the NHS have seriously pruned provision.
I got an Austin Reed dress in the Mind shop this weekend - £12. I was chuffed. Needs a wash to get rid of charity shop smell though. What is that unique whiff about?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still giggling at Lovely T2 student who had had a long discussion with me last week about fasting during Ramadan and wanting to keep the spirit of the fast. Sensibly, medical advice about not fasting has been taken on board, given the student's ability to go pretty low if meals are missed. So, no puddings for the duration was the carefully considered decision and I'd done as I was asked and explained this to all my colleagues.

Then we got to afternoon break time. I'd got a couple of boxes of biscuits we'd all forgotten we had and as I'd promised we'd eat them up ASAP this was what they had today rather than the usual ones!

Apparently, biscuits are not the same as puddings and I applauded the impeccable logic that it would be sinful to waste them. So, Lovely T2 Student munched cheerfully on a chocolate biscuit and looked most content. I was offered one as well, but decided I couldn't be bothered to bolus whilst I was giggling madly!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Night all,
Thanks for the advice today. I will tell everyone, just maybe not straight away. The most important people all know, so that's the main thing
And yes, one person I told today immediately started telling me about their family members with T2

An early one for me tonight. Been walking around all day. Looking forward to not doing a lot tomorrow

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jazz97 . One thing diabetes struggles with is openness and light.
Be a proud diabetic and let the light shine in and you’ll find the condition far easier to live with.
Diabetes likes denial and thrives in the dark recesses of our souls if we let it.
Here endeth today’s lesson :).

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good night fellow dia buddies.
Sweet dreams providing you’ve bolused for them.
Been struggling to get up to a reasonable level most of the night. 2 Rich tea biscuits will hopefully do the trick.
Jelly babies close to hand just in case.
Sometimes the excitement just gets too much.:p:p:p

Reactions: karen8967

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tech helps when introducing people to it. People are typically interested in the libre if shown it, and if I get a willing audience and I'm wearing it at the time, I can bore people's socks off talking about the miaomiao, xdrip, etc :)

When it's time for an injection, I'll just do it. If anybody is interested I can then start talking about it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Jazz97 . One thing diabetes struggles with is openness and light.
Be a proud diabetic and let the light shine in and you’ll find the condition far easier to live with.
Diabetes likes denial and thrives in the dark recesses of our souls if we let it.
Here endeth today’s lesson :).

Amen to that @therower :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I got an Austin Reed dress in the Mind shop this weekend - £12. I was chuffed. Needs a wash to get rid of charity shop smell though. What is that unique whiff about?

I used to work in a Charity shop, Cardiac Rehab and we used to get some lovely clothes in, but then we would often get old smelly items, which couldn't be sold, I loved the job and working with the volunteers.
I bought a brand new Dorothy Perkins summer dress, which was originally £22.00, reduced to £14, then £6 then half price at £3. It fits perfectly, figure hugging and it doesn't need ironing either :happy: I bought this for my baby granddaughter, it's a little Ladybird dress, £2.00, she will look so cute in it.
scv20190507_224728.jpeg

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to Lincolnshire today for a couple of days to walk and enjoy some of our childhood/youth haunts. May have a trip to the local park to remember times sat with the youth club lot downing cider. None of our gang into drugs in those days. Got together with my now husband during one of those evenings. Have been married 40 years in December. Cannot believe I grew up to be such a goody goody with a policeman son. Cannot stand cider now though
Awoke on a 5 and been 5 all night according to sensor. Which as I’ve been working hard at sorting out basal for the last 3 weeks am chuffed with. Happy days!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning guys. At home today - love it! Sneezing like the clappers just now. So much that I couldn't actually get the hayfever pills swallowed. Larf a minute round here...

However, calm restored, pills of all types and colours swallowed, and a large mug of particularly strong black coffee to slurp. Life is perfick :joyful: