Question on food & drink

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Hi members just need a little help understand nutrition information on some foods i like but not touched since diagnosed type 2 last year im on insulin 4x day and metformin 3x day.

Beef stew and dumplings soup pot.

Energy - kj per pot 1588kj
-kcal 378kcal
protein 15.8g
carbohydrate 47.9g
(of which sugars 5.7g
fat 13.7g
of which saturates 5.2g
fibre 3.6g
sodium 1.1g
salt equivalent 2.7

cappuccino

energy 305kj per sachet
73cal
protein 2.4g
carbohydrate 8.4g
of which sugars 4.7g
fat 3.3g
of which saturates 3.1g
fibre 0.7g
sodium trace
salt equivalent 0.1g
antioxidents 0.6g

how bad or good are thease items im fairly new to this and i think im doing fairly well on my change of food and drink so far its just hard to get my head around all thease numbers and i would like to vary my food as im sticking to a fairly set menu at mo :?: .

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Both high in carbs but it does depend on the quantity you consume.......not to my liking. :|

Not sure if you have read the Advice that Sue and I regularly hand out, that should help you to understand things better.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16224&p=148283#p148283

Basically a balanced diet which suits all the things that you put a priority on. Personally I reduce the carbs, reduce the fats, especially saturated and make sure there isn't too much sodium/salt in it. RDA no more than 6g salt. drink plenty of water, I drink around 2 -3 litres per day along with other drinks.

Everybody is different and your 'healthy' diet might not be the same as mine, you therefore will have to work out for yourself it is good or bad for you........bearing in mind the above.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
Hi Cugila

Many thanks for your reply

i used consume 1 pot of the beef and stew a day and about 4 to 5 of the cappaccino a day at the weekend, ive stopped as ive noticed that they are high in the bad things :evil: i now only drink black coffee with sweetner or tea no added sugar robinsons mayby couple of pints a day of that and lt or 2 of water, beer perhaps normaly 2 to 3 pints a month but since diagnosed only 2 bottles of beer new year ive stopped white bread used to like loads of it french stick uncut loaves packed with bad filling god im dribbling now :roll: my diet is during week

bear in mind i have to get up at 5am
breakfast 3 weetabix milk
10.30am 1st break half a sandwhich brown bread with chease slice of ham
tomatoes cucumber apple satsuma
lunch around 2 other half of sandwhich and as above
dinner varries a bit of meat george foreman cooked few chips or roast potatoes just cooked in oven no added oil or baked potatoe and some baked beans
pudding yogurt or icecream diabetic version

today ive 3 weetabix lunch 2 toast with cheese and 2 with diabetic jam tomatoes and cucumber.

I have read the link many thanks for that im just finding it a little hard at mo finding things that are good for me and that i like and changing my old habits like im shaking like a leaf at the mo suffering withdrawel symptons from stopping the fags 4 days since last fag but ive got to change for my sake.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
JIMDOG1 said:
Hi Cugila

bear in mind i have to get up at 5am
breakfast 3 weetabix milk
10.30am 1st break half a sandwhich brown bread with chease slice of ham
tomatoes cucumber apple satsuma
lunch around 2 other half of sandwhich and as above
dinner varries a bit of meat george foreman cooked few chips or roast potatoes just cooked in oven no added oil or baked potatoe and some baked beans
pudding yogurt or icecream diabetic version

today ive 3 weetabix lunch 2 toast with cheese and 2 with diabetic jam tomatoes and cucumber.

First of all it makes no difference what time you get up, it is the food you eat that makes the big difference. You might need to prepare things the night before if you don't have a lot of time ?

I have highlighted stuff in red which basically are things you need to consider reducing or avoiding, for instance 3 Weetabix is a lot !

Avoid anything labelled 'Diabetic'......... they still have carbs and still have an effect on Bg levels !

It will get easier, it's just confusing at first because of the conflicting information. We try not to confuse.......just tell it like it is !! :) Good luck with cutting out fags !

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
wow thanks for that will re evaluate all that you should see what branflakes send me up to i thought they were ok but my levels were spiking up to 12 13 bg spoke to nurse she told me to look at box i was shocked so switched to weetabix and my 2hr after breakfast levels are down 6 to 8 but i think after reading a few posts here i could go up as im taking insulin at mo which i think if im right cuts my bg levels and if nurse gets me off insulin which we are working at mo ive had my dose cut twice this week ill keep more of close eye on my food now cut down again :twisted: .

Thanks Jim :D

yep will have to look at my food again 4 toast with cheese and jam even tho diabetic jam
my 2hr post lunch bg 8.3 pre lunch bg 5.4 me so bad :twisted: food its a nightmare :lol:

galgal

here is some valuable tips I learned recently after being diagnosed.

Porridge or weetabix are the best slow release breakfasts. (two weetabix is loads). Use Low Fat milk - not full fat.

check your breads for white flour, the more thats in it the worse it is. Rye or wholewheat are good (but I like sourdough, which if you google, seems to be pretty good too because of the way the ingredients react in the baking process).

No added sugar on a label does NOT mean sugar free. I was astonished to learn that a half a jar of "not added sugar" jam, already contains the equivalent of 23g sugar. thats HALF a jar. So be very very careful of the "no added sugar" items - it just been they haven't added any extra. But they don't tell you its already loaded with sugar. You need to look for the term SUGAR FREE. then you know there is no sugar in it (but watch for fat content too).

Eat fruit every day but space them out during the day - don't eat any more than 1 portion at any given time.

galgal

also the term "light". Don't let this fool you. I did think that if something was "light" it meant it was basically a lighter version of a high fat food. However the term "light" can mean anything from light in texture, light in colour, etc. You need to check the labels on all foods.

I did a "supermarket" shop with a dietician and I was completely utterly amazed at what I though was "diet" or LIght and how the advertisers can manipulate people's way of thinking. Read everything - don't go for the shiny pretty colours on the front of the box, or the lovely lady in a red outfit. The first thing I do now is read the back of the box. and its amazing. Let's just say the lady in red is probably NOT eating that product. thats as subtle as I can say it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi gal gal
Regarding the fat content of food please remember that some of us with diabetes do not need to lose weight and full fat cream, cheese, butter etc do not have a bad effect on BGs . Sorry if this may sound "preachy" but some newly diagnosed may have got the impression that fat was bad for BG levels
CAROL

galgal

it may not have an effect on your BG's but have you checked your cholesterol. Also, it shouldn't be assumed that because you are watching your "lard" intake that you are a fat type 2 diabetic. Cutting down on fatty, calorie laden full fat food also helps your health overall, not just your BG's levels. (not to be preachey either).

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my chol checked at the same time as my BGs and it has come down since DB Just didnt want any newbies to get wrong idea
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Dietary fat doesn't usually have a big impact on your blood cholesterol - most of it (about 70%) is made in your liver.

The best cholesterol and BP readings I've ever had were after I'd spent 15 months doing Atkins Induction.

Since going back on Atkins after diagnosis, I've dropped my cholesterol from 5.8 to 5.1. I'm quite comfortable with that, though I know some people wouldn't be. My total:HDL ratio is at an acceptable level so my GP is unfazed by it as well.

And I'm not being preachy either - just offering my tuppence-worth! :D

Viv 8)