Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How might soft creamy cheeses such as Brie and Camembert impact cholesterol levels? I used to think they would have an adverse affect?

Dietary cholesterol has no effect on total body cholesterol levels. If you cut out all sources of plant/animal sterols from your diet your body would just make more to top up your levels. Cholesterol is vital for life, 30% of the cell wall is made of cholesterol and this is vital for cell infrastucture.

Factoid. More people die of a heart attack having had low cholesterol levels than having had high cholesterol levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietary cholesterol has no effect on total body cholesterol levels. If you cut out all sources of plant/animal sterols from your diet your body would just make more to top up your levels. Cholesterol is vital for life, 30% of the cell wall is made of cholesterol and this is vital for cell infrastucture.

Factoid. More people die of a heart having had low cholesterol levels than having had high cholesterol levels.
So eat as much full fat cream cheese as we like?

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are dumping weight the cholesterol from your fat cells would increase your number. It is probably not worth monitoring cholesterol for up to a year until your weight loss stabilises.
I concur about not monitoring cholesterol but make that all your life not just a year. It is a useless test that is only designed to persuade us to make Big Pharma richer!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m new here and have just found out my doc wants me to go on statins. I have my appointment next week so I will now ask a load of questions courtesy of all the responses to LindsayJanes questions.

I have steroid induced diabetes and have insulin twice a day and metformin...... I’m struggling with keeping my day time reading to under 8 and in the mornings I start off ok but about 90 minutes after breakfast I end up hypo! What am I doing wrong?

I’m struggling to lose weight due to steroids but I am also on targeted therapy due to cancer (never rains but it pours). Any ideas would be welcome as my fitness levels are now non existent
Thanks in anticipation
HI and welcome Droops
What are you having for breakfast? That will probably have the biggest effect on where your blood sugars go.
I'll tag in @daisy1 for the amazing intro to low carb living for great blood sugar control.

Reactions: Droops

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
1). Is it normal for cholesterol to rise like this at the start of LCHF and,
2). will it 'go back to normal' if I just carry on with the diet as is and,

It is fairly common for cholesterol levels to rise when firsat starting out on LCHF. But, if you persevere, the levels should improve. Total cholesterol in itself is pretty meaningless....what you really need are HDL/LDL and HDL/Triglyceride ratios. They would tell you far more than one single number

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@LindsayJane
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Droops

HI and welcome Droops
What are you having for breakfast? That will probably have the biggest effect on where your blood sugars go.
I'll tag in @daisy1 for the amazing intro to low carb living for great blood sugar control.

Hi bulkbiker

Varies from yogurt with fresh raspberries/strawberries and grapes & granola to toast with marmite or brown sauce (don’t care for jam unless it’s in a doughnut).

I was told to raise my insulin to 24 am & 16 pm but that made me hypo before bed and again in am! I’m back down to 22/14 but I’m above 8 most early evening..... any help will be greatly appreciated (just don’t ask me to eat porridge)
Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi bulkbiker

Varies from yogurt with fresh raspberries/strawberries and grapes & granola to toast with marmite or brown sauce (don’t care for jam unless it’s in a doughnut).

I was told to raise my insulin to 24 am & 16 pm but that made me hypo before bed and again in am! I’m back down to 22/14 but I’m above 8 most early evening..... any help will be greatly appreciated (just don’t ask me to eat porridge)
Thanks

Sorry to interject but I would definitely swerve by the grapes, they are little sticks of dynamite where blood glucose and fatty liver are concerned along with bananas they are the 'junk food' of the fruit world.

Droops

Sorry to interject but I would definitely swerve by the grapes, they are little sticks of dynamite where blood glucose and fatty liver are concerned along with bananas they are the 'junk food' of the fruit world.

Oh no I’ve been eating both of those..... thanks for the interjection looks like my neighbour will be getting a fruit basket later

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh no I’ve been eating both of those..... thanks for the interjection looks like my neighbour will be getting a fruit basket later

If you are concerned with getting vitC then broccoli, kale and bell peppers are a great source.
And porridge is definitely verboten for me :).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm guessing you don't like your neighbour then? :)

Droops

If you are concerned with getting vitC then broccoli, kale and bell peppers are a great source.
And porridge is definitely verboten for me :).

Yuckety yuck yuck yuck! Along with porridge, I’m not a veggie or fish person either..... (they eat dead people dontcha know) and now I’m no longer a grape & banana person!! I think I may run out of foods that I like :(

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Sorry @Droops. I'm still a learner so can't really advise you. I wish you well though x x x
If it is any consolation I have read many peoples experiences with Cholesterol rising when starting LCHF way of eating. Many people have said this seem's to happen during the first 5 months, but then settles back down again. I cannot tell you if mine spiked as when I started my LCHF I had not long had my annual checkup for Cholesterol. That checkup was good as usual. I then went back 8 months later for another check-up for my Cholesterol and my results were more or less the same. Like I said whether my Cholesterol spiked or not in the first 4 months I don't know. I am due another test this coming May so will let you know how I do.

Reactions: LindsayJane

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My LDL is also increased but not worried.
HDL is almost doubled.

2018 Feb 15 HBA1C 56 - Total Cholestrol 4.2 mmol/l, HDL 0.83, LDL 2.69, Triglycerides 1.5, Non HDL 3.37.

2018 April 1st - Stopped all the medication and Started Keto Diet - BMI 30 - Weight 75 kg.

2018 May 15th - HBA1C 49 - No medication only, low carb diet and stared Cycling.
Total Cholestrol 7.2 mmol/l, HDL 0.81, LDL 5.57, Triglycerides 1.8, Non HDL 6.39.

2018 July 23rd - HBA1C 46 - No medication only diet - BMI 25 - 63 kg .
Total Cholestrol 7.9 mmol/l, HDL 1.45, LDL 5.63, Triglycerides 1.8, Non HDL 6.45.

2018 Oct 1st - Total cholesterol 7.4, HDL 1.29, LDL 5.65,Triglycerides 1.0, Non HDL 6.11 Erythrocytes 6.0.

2019 Mar 5th - HBA1C 46 - No medication only diet - BMI 24 - 61 kg .
Total Cholestrol 7.3 mmol/l, HDL 1.33, LDL 5.5, Triglycerides 0.85

Tsang33

I'm on LC / some fat (2eggs, ~1 thin cheese, mixed nuts,some olive oil) for 2m2weeks. I'm very worried : LDL from3.2 to 5.6, nonHDL from 3.7 to 6. But Trig fell from 1 to 0.9, HDL rose from 1.6 to 2.1, total rose from 5.3 to 8.1. Most doc here in Aust are alarmed and pushed statin which I don't like. I'm T2D diagnosed 1/2/'19 ... now much improved IFCC=41 .... metformin cut down to 1 / day. Low-carb did well for fatty liver(now no longer) & a few liver function marker which I'd struggled for ~8 yrs. Blood pressure also well under control now (struggled for ~12 yrs). A local low carb med guy thinks my blood markers are fine, opposite to other doc's. I've stopped eating eggs/ cheese /nuts since April 26, with all other foods remain same. During this time I've lost almost all belly fats, now BMI=23.5 and @70 kg dropping 10Kg in past 3 months. What can I replace the fat component with ? Can fellow posters help please ? Really I'm okay overall except this LDL-thing. Also I read about the "remnant" LDL which kinda corresponds to the really bad small-dense LDL. Well if it is so, then my "remnant" has now improved to Optimal. But not being in medical I don't know what to make of it. Many Thanks.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @LindsayJane, as @Mbaker says your body is in a sort of transition so cholesterol levels are not in a steady state with which to make any of interpretation .
If you wish to know the full truth about cholesterol and statins - i woukd suggest you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com.
She is a Welsh nutritionist who has studied and researched about saturated fat, heart disease, cholesterol and statins. She shows methodically where studies have been biased, misleading and which other ones are robust.
When you see some of her work you may never wish to hear or know about statins again.
@bulkbiker , i think has mentioned one of her findings abive, i think.
High bsls are the enemy¡

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Hi @LindsayJane, as @Mbaker says your body is in a sort of transition so cholesterol levels are not in a steady state with which to make any of interpretation .
If you wish to know the full truth about cholesterol and statins - i woukd suggest you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com.
She is a Welsh nutritionist who has studied and researched about saturated fat, heart disease, cholesterol and statins. She shows methodically where studies have been biased, misleading and which other ones are robust.
When you see some of her work you may never wish to hear or know about statins again.
@bulkbiker , i think has mentioned one of her findings abive, i think.
High bsls are the enemy¡
Thank you I will. I'm not worried any more though - had a long chat with my doctor and he's not pushing me to take statins, I'm pretty sure the cholesterol will sort itself out once LCHF is well under way. Thank you for your input x