CGM advice

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a mathematician by the education so viewing the data just clicks in my brain

Hi, Breck, I'm using xDrip+ too, not with G5, with libre on script and a MiaoMiao transmitter.

In the xDrip+ statistics page, there's a couple of metrics, GVI and PGS, which may appeal to your math skills.

I've not been able to find much on the internet about how to interpret them, so they might be things which just haven't caught on in the real world.

The GVI is straight-forward enough - how short is the line between two points in time, reflecting the amount of deviation - and PGS range seems to between 4.6 for non-diabetics and 40 for wayward control, reflecting variability, mean glucose, time in range and hypo events as a single number.

I found this article at link below, but more or less gave up when it explained that the TIR function is, "a decreasing rectangular hyperbolic equation which asymptotes at a maximum value at 20% time in range"!

I'm not sure how to interpret PGS. It seems to be offered as a complement to a1c. I don't know whether I should assess the number on a weekly, monthly or 90 day basis. I don't know whether docs are at all familiar with it.

Any views on how to read and make use the PGS number would be gratefully received.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5467104/

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Breck Lundin

Hi, Breck, I'm using xDrip+ too, not with G5, with libre on script and a MiaoMiao transmitter.

In the xDrip+ statistics page, there's a couple of metrics, GVI and PGS, which may appeal to your math skills.

I've not been able to find much on the internet about how to interpret them, so they might be things which just haven't caught on in the real world.

The GVI is straight-forward enough - how short is the line between two points in time, reflecting the amount of deviation - and PGS range seems to between 4.6 for non-diabetics and 40 for wayward control, reflecting variability, mean glucose, time in range and hypo events as a single number.

I found this article at link below, but more or less gave up when it explained that the TIR function is, "a decreasing rectangular hyperbolic equation which asymptotes at a maximum value at 20% time in range"!

I'm not sure how to interpret PGS. It seems to be offered as a complement to a1c. I don't know whether I should assess the number on a weekly, monthly or 90 day basis. I don't know whether docs are at all familiar with it.

Any views on how to read and make use the PGS number would be gratefully received.

Hi Scott...sound interesting I'll give it a look and see if it makes sense to me.

Ralphietype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go for the Libre. I think it’s really good and really helped keep my sugars in good control. Plus it’s just easy to scan my phone over the sensor.

Breck Lundin

hey there...sorry it took me a minute to get back here. Reading that paper now. Looks quite interesting...

Breck Lundin

I just gave it a quick scan and I'm really intrigued by the new metics. It's about 11pm here on the west coast of US. I will make some time to play with the equations and see if i can see the logic what the values impart to aid in seeing, with greater degree of granularity, rhe importance of the numbers.

Really, thanks. My area of study was pure mathematics not anything applied (uglies up the process for me). My specialty was Beta functions and how they fit into nonlinear (sensitive dependence on initial conditions). I'm grateful as i rarely get to exercise the math-muscle anymore.