Quetiapine and t2 diabetes

West335

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I was prescribed quetiapine about 6 years ago and about 2 years later diagnosed diabetic.

I spoke to a consultant yesterday who told me how detrimental quetiapine is to diabetics and he was quite disgusted that over all those years not one doctor or nurse advised me to try a different medication. He's now weaning me off quetiapine and getting me on venlaflaxin (not sure I've spelt that right)

Basically Id just like to advise other t2s that if you're on quetiapine it might be making things worse and might be worth talking to your GP about it.

Not sure if this is the same for all anti psychotic drugs as this is the only one I've had.

Zoe

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced the same got type 2 after a few years , nobody in close family with diabetes..

But that said it helped me greatly , and it didn´t help med not to take it i did try my diabetes is here to stay but can be controled I have found out , and I will keep taking the quetiapine as it has been the only medication that took away the eternal feeling of having flu in my brain extreme tiresness and almost cronic depression

West335

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I experienced the same got type 2 after a few years , nobody in close family with diabetes..

But that said it helped me greatly , and it didn´t help med not to take it i did try my diabetes is here to stay but can be controled I have found out , and I will keep taking the quetiapine as it has been the only medication that took away the eternal feeling of having flu in my brain extreme tiresness and almost cronic depression
That's fair enough. It just wasn't helping me anymore anyway and upping it was out of the question

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I was prescribed quetiapine about 6 years ago and about 2 years later diagnosed diabetic.

I spoke to a consultant yesterday who told me how detrimental quetiapine is to diabetics and he was quite disgusted that over all those years not one doctor or nurse advised me to try a different medication. He's now weaning me off quetiapine and getting me on venlaflaxin (not sure I've spelt that right)

Basically Id just like to advise other t2s that if you're on quetiapine it might be making things worse and might be worth talking to your GP about it.

Not sure if this is the same for all anti psychotic drugs as this is the only one I've had.

Zoe

many types of anti psychotics do lead to more cases of diabetes type 2 and also many other types of medication do... so read on the scientific knowledge on other medications if there is a risk of diabetes type 2 from the specific medication you take.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/drug-induced-diabetes.html

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way statins also raises risk of getting type 2 diabetes

West335

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
by the way statins also raises risk of getting type 2 diabetes
I've always refused statins. They tried to put me on them so I was like screw this and started the keto diet. No need for them now anyway. I've lost like 3 stone now but I'm stalling now so I think changing meds will help. I'm in a mental health unit at the moments and they're monitoring the change. I understand why people would stay on quetiapine though if it improves your quality of life. I must admit when I first started the drug it did help, just not anymore. Its all about what works. Gonna be more careful with meds on future

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always refused statins. They tried to put me on them so I was like screw this and started the keto diet. No need for them now anyway. I've lost like 3 stone now but I'm stalling now so I think changing meds will help. I'm in a mental health unit at the moments and they're monitoring the change. I understand why people would stay on quetiapine though if it improves your quality of life. I must admit when I first started the drug it did help, just not anymore. Its all about what works. Gonna be more careful with meds on future

you are right it has to help a lot if one should be willing to take the risk of all other conditions it can lead to among which are obesity too
I also refused to take statins my GP got a bit angry over that

West335

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Lots of people do develop type two with all anti-pyschotics
It's terrible the drug companies should do something about it.
Yeah it is. Its difficult being diabetic sometimes! Well quite a lot of the time Actually lol

Reactions: Freema

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2 and take quetiapine. Was diagnosed t2 before going g on Quetiapine so that didn't cause the t2.
My psych isn't too concerned at the moment because my levels are acceptable, yes they could be a bit lower but numbers are nothing to worry about.
Am on 150mg quetiapine so not a high dose age.
The only downside is, my psych has regular asked my gp for 6 month hba1c test for which my gp won't do

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am type2 and take quetiapine. Was diagnosed t2 before going g on Quetiapine so that didn't cause the t2.
My psych isn't too concerned at the moment because my levels are acceptable, yes they could be a bit lower but numbers are nothing to worry about.
Am on 150mg quetiapine so not a high dose age.
The only downside is, my psych has regular asked my gp for 6 month hba1c test for which my gp won't do

That is weird it is normal to take HbA1c 4 times a year for most type 2’s, and it can only show the last 3 months

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
That is weird it is normal to take HbA1c 4 times a year for most type 2’s, and it can only show the last 3 months
My gp surgery does my HbA1c once a year, my psych requested more often but my surgery won't listen to him x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
and you don´t want to change GP I guess ?
I would change gp but I have tried at my surgery but the others in the surgery I wish to go to have their allocated patients.
I have looked into changing surgeries, but they are all out of my catchment area