Struggling, sugars still very high but can't get my head straight

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nuts, cheese, tea and coffee
I'm struggling with eating what I should, I've been diagnosed now for just over a year for the first 6-9 months I did great but then I unfortunately lost a very dear friend and I rebelled and haven't been good since. I know it's really bad but I can't seem to stop.
I read all the time about LCHF however I struggle as I don't like cheese, nuts or many vegetables. I've got another blood test at the end of May but I know they'll just put me on more medication because my sugars are too high. I don't need to lose any weight and my only exercise is yoga because I have a bad hip.

I have a massive sweet addiction, I've tried to swap to sugar free sweets but 1. I don't like the taste and 2. they give me terrible tummy trouble.

My diabetes nurse is aware of all the above but I was wondering if you lovely lot had any practical advice. I don't really want to have to have more medication but I know this is very likely.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read all the time about LCHF however I struggle as I don't like cheese, nuts or many vegetables.
Do you like meat? Eggs and bacon will probably have very little impact on your blood sugar levels and are a great part of a low carb diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat nuts, and I eat hardly any vegetables, but I have been very successful on LCHF, so it is possible. Nuts and veggies are not compulsory! You can eat as much meat and fish as you like as long as it isn't coated in stuff, mushrooms, tomatoes, any dairy food apart from milk, and as many eggs as you like.

Start the day (or afternoon) with a good old fry up of bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms (fried in butter) and a high meat content sausage. For that sweet spot, try a few strawberries in double cream or full fat Greek yogurt. There are really such a lot of options.

Reactions: Shas3

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm struggling with eating what I should, I've been diagnosed now for just over a year for the first 6-9 months I did great but then I unfortunately lost a very dear friend and I rebelled and haven't been good since. I know it's really bad but I can't seem to stop.
I read all the time about LCHF however I struggle as I don't like cheese, nuts or many vegetables. I've got another blood test at the end of May but I know they'll just put me on more medication because my sugars are too high. I don't need to lose any weight and my only exercise is yoga because I have a bad hip.

I have a massive sweet addiction, I've tried to swap to sugar free sweets but 1. I don't like the taste and 2. they give me terrible tummy trouble.

My diabetes nurse is aware of all the above but I was wondering if you lovely lot had any practical advice. I don't really want to have to have more medication but I know this is very likely.

Here’s the thing (and I’m going to be harsh here) you can choose to change what you eat or choose sweets and you'll be on more drugs, more illness, pain and suffering. Be warned that the drugs won’t work on their own, if you don’t change your eating habits, the high blood sugars will continue anyway.

One day at a time. I have faith in you.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you like meat? Eggs and bacon will probably have very little impact on your blood sugar levels and are a great part of a low carb diet.
Thank you, I do like eggs and bacon but I'm getting sick of eating them

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can't eat nuts, and I eat hardly any vegetables, but I have been very successful on LCHF, so it is possible. Nuts and veggies are not compulsory! You can eat as much meat and fish as you like as long as it isn't coated in stuff, mushrooms, tomatoes, any dairy food apart from milk, and as many eggs as you like.

Start the day (or afternoon) with a good old fry up of bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms (fried in butter) and a high meat content sausage. For that sweet spot, try a few strawberries in double cream or full fat Greek yogurt. There are really such a lot of options.
Thank you for your reply. I do eat a fry up more so at weekends but to be honest I'm sick of eating eggs and bacon. I also have yoghurt and berries for breakfast it just doesn't fill me up until lunchtime

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here’s the thing (and I’m going to be harsh here) you can choose to change what you eat or choose sweets and you'll be on more drugs, more illness, pain and suffering. Be warned that the drugs won’t work on their own, if you don’t change your eating habits, the high blood sugars will continue anyway.

One day at a time. I have faith in you.
Thank you and deep down I know this but because I'm quite fussy it seems that everything I like I shouldn't eat. I love crisps too but know I shouldn't eat those either.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Outrage.. how can you be sick of eggs and bacon:)?
I never have breakfast any more though just coffee with cream the fat content keeps me full until lunch or sometimes dinner.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you like fish? It might be something different to consider. Some people eat a poached egg on smoked haddock. Or you could have smoked salmon and avocado (or rocket or cucumber).

I know you said you don’t like many veg, but if they’re with the right thing they might seem more appealing. Or at least that’s what I find.

Another option might be to get some small burgers that you like and have with something tasty (good slaw; home made salsa; something pickled?)

Anyway, good luck with this. I have a bit of a sweet tooth but have worked out I can only have a small amount - whether it’s plain chocolate or sweets with non-sugar substitute. I’ve found it helps to try a combination. For example some cocoa, sweetener and nut butter - on an oatcake or mixed into Greek yogurt.

It’s taken a while to adjust to the difference (bearing in mind I’d got used to tucking into creamy/buttery/sugary two layer, iced cakes in coffee places as a snack, before I was diagnosed!) But I find these things satisfy me if I’m willing to give them a chance. It’s sort of a trust thing, because what I think of as my ‘sugar addict’ head is quite convinced I need stacks more bad sugar stuff, to feel happy and satisfied!!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply. I do eat a fry up more so at weekends but to be honest I'm sick of eating eggs and bacon. I also have yoghurt and berries for breakfast it just doesn't fill me up until lunchtime

Eat any low carb food at any time, not attributing certain foods to certain meals helps.
Try berries and extra thick double cream. Lots of it.

Reactions: lrostron

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Omelette with tomato salsa is yummy. Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Of a weekend I cook spinach in butter, layer an oven proof dish with it, top with 2 eggs, pour over a bit of cream and top with cheese, bake for about 12 mins. I know its eggs still, but they are very versatile.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Outrage.. how can you be sick of eggs and bacon:)?
I never have breakfast any more though just coffee with cream the fat content keeps me full until lunch or sometimes dinner.
:) I don't do coffee either and I've tried to not have breakfast but then when I do eat I can't seem to stop

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you like fish? It might be something different to consider. Some people eat a poached egg on smoked haddock. Or you could have smoked salmon and avocado (or rocket or cucumber).

I know you said you don’t like many veg, but if they’re with the right thing they might seem more appealing. Or at least that’s what I find.

Another option might be to get some small burgers that you like and have with something tasty (good slaw; home made salsa; something pickled?)

Anyway, good luck with this. I have a bit of a sweet tooth but have worked out I can only have a small amount - whether it’s plain chocolate or sweets with non-sugar substitute. I’ve found it helps to try a combination. For example some cocoa, sweetener and nut butter - on an oatcake or mixed into Greek yogurt.

It’s taken a while to adjust to the difference (bearing in mind I’d got used to tucking into creamy/buttery/sugary two layer, iced cakes in coffee places as a snack, before I was diagnosed!) But I find these things satisfy me if I’m willing to give them a chance. It’s sort of a trust thing, because what I think of as my ‘sugar addict’ head is quite convinced I need stacks more bad sugar stuff, to feel happy and satisfied!!
Thank you, I do like fish and I like the sound of small burgers with salsa etc. I am trying to stay positive but feel like I'm being punished.

Reactions: Shas3 and DianaMC

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Omelette with tomato salsa is yummy. Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Of a weekend I cook spinach in butter, layer an oven proof dish with it, top with 2 eggs, pour over a bit of cream and top with cheese, bake for about 12 mins. I know its eggs still, but they are very versatile.
Thank you, I think I need to try some new dishes which will hopefully inspire me

Reactions: Shas3 and dawnmc

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Steak? Chicken?

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I have had a look but find a lot of the receipe are heavily cheese based

Do you use a blood glucose meter at all? I got one free from Contour; it can easily be pared with a mobile phone via Bluetooth. It has a menu of options including a “meal planner”, which you can access on a smart phone, to get meal suggestions. It’s like an App; within it, you can say if there are ingredients you want to avoid (under the ‘allergies’ bit). Then it shows you only the kinds of recipes you want to read, within your chosen diet style (eg low carb). A possibly useful resource if you have that meter and a phone, anyway.

dipsydo

As others suggest , if you get a meter then you can see what agrees with you because what works for one person may not work for another .

I find that adding herbs or fresh ginger stops me getting bored of low carb food. For example adding chives to scrambled eggs . I experiment , sometimes it is is a success and other times ar not so good.

Sugar free sweets often have sweeteners which have a laxative effect and I expect could be a source of the tummy trouble. 90% chocolate is low carb and can be quite palatable and gives you that chocolate high and do not have the sweetener. Alternative snacks are crackling or olives ( as you do not like nuts or cheese). Berries such as strawberries and raspberries are low carb and taste sweet and quite filling if you add cream. Frozen raspberries are also quite nice and cheaper, I do not recommend frozen strawberries as I find them a disappointment.

Reactions: DianaMC

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you use a blood glucose meter at all? I got one free from Contour; it can easily be pared with a mobile phone via Bluetooth. It has a menu of options including a “meal planner”, which you can access on a smart phone, to get meal suggestions. It’s like an App; within it, you can say if there are ingredients you want to avoid (under the ‘allergies’ bit). Then it shows you only the kinds of recipes you want to read, within your chosen diet style (eg low carb). A possibly useful resource if you have that meter and a phone, anyway.
Thank you, I was given a meter at my last check up when they put me on Gliclazade, although it's not from Contour. I'll double check but I don't think it has Bluetooth, sounds good though