Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm posting merely to help you next time :)
Trigs/HDL is essentially a fraction where the trigs appear above the dividing line, and HDL below it, so the relevant figures are
3.5/3.1 or 1.13. That fraction is still okay as a result.
Geoff

Thank you, back to school for me. :)

Tsang33

I read about Remnant Cholesterol which is kinda correspond to the small-dense LDL which can get glycated/oxidized if they stay in blood too long thus raise the chance of blockage. If you search remnant cholesterol a calculator can be found, and probably one (only 1) research paper as well. For curiosity I pluck your numbers in and you're high risk. So maybe that calc is wrong or LCHF just hurt certain individuals or the pathology lab got it wrong. all the best!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I read about Remnant Cholesterol which is kinda correspond to the small-dense LDL which can get glycated/oxidized if they stay in blood too long thus raise the chance of blockage. If you search remnant cholesterol a calculator can be found, and probably one (only 1) research paper as well. For curiosity I pluck your numbers in and you're high risk. So maybe that calc is wrong or LCHF just hurt certain individuals or the pathology lab got it wrong. all the best!
Hi there. I see you have just joined us, could you fill in the details in your profile as this will assist other members.

As to oxidised LDL isn't it better to to eliminate the cause? In the UK the NHS use calculators (which are a guesstimate at best) so no fraction/particle count and certainly no measurement of damaged LDL. In my opinion lowering carbohydrate intake by way of LCHF and by eliminating seed oils from the diet goes a long way to reducing the inflammation thereby reducing the number of sdLDL particles.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Tsang,

Could you please provide a link to the calculator you mention?
It would be helpful if people could see and understand their own risk factors, rather than being told they are ‘high risk’ without any additional information and explanation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an old note on my file that remnant cholesterol is 46% of the triglycerides (using UK measurement units).

Coincidentally, or deliberately, it is 46% of the trigs (UK) that are added to the LDL and HDL to arrive at the total cholesterol.

So someone is saying that 46% of our trigs (UK) is remnant cholesterol and corresponds to the small dense particles in our LDL. Amazing how one size fits all. Where does the 46% come from? Some juggling in the air?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have an old note on my file that remnant cholesterol is 46% of the triglycerides (using UK measurement units).

Coincidentally, or deliberately, it is 46% of the trigs (UK) that are added to the LDL and HDL to arrive at the total cholesterol.

So someone is saying that 46% of our trigs (UK) is remnant cholesterol and corresponds to the small dense particles in our LDL. Amazing how one size fits all. Where does the 46% come from? Some juggling in the air?
Calculators? Pfft!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Colin of Kent, you appear unscathed by your encounter with all things lipid, and that is wonderful!

If you were to subscribe to zoeharcombe.com you woukd read that LDLcholesterol is a result caculated from other measurements such as HDL cholesterol. LDL cholesterol reads higher than expected when on low carb diet and lower than expected when on high carb diets.
Whilst your triglyceridesvto HDL cholesterol ratio is in range, i was just wondering if you have been checking your ketone levels to see if you are in ketosis most of the time?
And are you counting 50% of protein intake as carbs? Plus having a balanced salt and magnesium intake as per dietdictor.com?
And what total carbs per day is giving such results ?

Tsang33

hi brunneria/guzzler,
1. To get that calculator, go to cholesterol code.com, then open the first article to get the link to the calculator. It is based on a simple formula which in turn has been described in one study (sorry I can't recall where) and in a few social media portal. So please check out the fundamentals.
2. A more dependable / detailed update to cholesterol ratios for correlation to risk of heart problems, I'd suggest the a/prof Salaris' lectures in videos from lowcarbdownunder.com.au, look up just 1 or 2 videos (out of 6) and the info is there. Prof uses real data from the pathology lab to Id the most indicative parameters with large amount of statistics.
3. I joined ~3 months ago, and have been on a LC / some fat diet. The changes have indeed been v.good … dally liver is now normal, t2d under control now (just 3 months

Tsang33

.... hypertension normalized, belly fat gone, weight reduction 12.5% to BMI 23. My worry now is my LDL and tot.cholesteral which are v.high with very good trig(0.9) and hdl(2.1). So if fellow poster can help I'd appreciate very much. Not on statin but doc wants me to get on it … is a challenge here.
4. LC diet is recommendable to all. But +high fat is, well, I'm very unsure of based on my experience.
5. btw, my t2d can be managed by 1 metformin 500 at night. This really adds to my confidence about the low carb diets' benefits.

Reactions: Freema

Tsang33

… in point 3 I meant to write fatty liver of moderate severity (ultra sound) turned normal (FibroScan <5% fat infiltration).

Reactions: Freema

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had you fasted for the recommended 10-12 hours before the test? Or even longer?
Longer fasts pre blood drawer have been shown to have a significant impact of cholesterol levels.
Would I be correct in thinking that you are fairly slim? You could well turn out to me a Lean Mass Hyper Responder (LMHR) Dave Feldman has evidence of quite a few people who exhibit raised LDL when following a keto way of eating.
Have you checked out www.cholesterolcode.com ? You may find it interesting.
The length of fasting is fairly important - I once turned up for a morning blood test and was asked how long I'd been fasting. At that stage it was 16+ hours and they told me to go away and come back on a day where my fasting was 10-14 hours and no longer.

Reactions: kitedoc and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I've been following a ketogenic diet for six months now, and my control has been utterly exceptional, no question. However, I've just had my first lot of blood test results, as I'm seeing my consultant this week, and they've given me cause for concern, so wanted to get a few views from folks here.

Cholesterol 21.5
Triglycerides 3.5
HDL 3.1
LDL 16.8
Chol:HDL ratio 6.9

Historically, my cholesterol level has always been around 4 to 5. I've not had a full profile done before, so don't know how it would compare, but pretty sure it would have been better than this!

On the plus side, my HbA1c has come down to 51. Previously, it was usually around low 60's, never lower than 57.

Any thoughts / comments welcome.

Couldn’t you try to change you high fats to mostly omega 3 from fish and olive oil and avocado and only eat animals fat once a week ?

Exercise muscle building and fibres in meals also can lower cholesterol , and if you mix Phylisium Husk in your yoghurt or high fibres from plants it might help lower your LDL cholesterol all together ?

I know it is a lot

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... hypertension normalized, belly fat gone, weight reduction 12.5% to BMI 23. My worry now is my LDL and tot.cholesteral which are v.high with very good trig(0.9) and hdl(2.1). So if fellow poster can help I'd appreciate very much. Not on statin but doc wants me to get on it … is a challenge here.
4. LC diet is recommendable to all. But +high fat is, well, I'm very unsure of based on my experience.
5. btw, my t2d can be managed by 1 metformin 500 at night. This really adds to my confidence about the low carb diets' benefits.

How is your thyroid level ? If they are low that can in many cases lead to higher cholesterol too

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Couldn’t you try to change you high fats to mostly omega 3 from fish and olive oil and avocado and only eat animals fat once a week ?

Exercise muscle building and fibres in meals also can lower cholesterol , and if you mix Phylisium Husk in your yoghurt or high fibres from plants it might help lower your LDL cholesterol all together ?

I know it is a lot
Very thoughtful @Freema, and woukd have agreed until i started subscribing and reading zoeharcombe.com. ( i will call ZH) there is more saturated fat, weight for weight in olive oil than in pork. All meat has some omega 3 and 6 depending to extent on what 'diet' the animals eat ( grass fed supposed to give more omega- 3 according to ZH.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very thoughtful @Freema, and woukd have agreed until i started subscribing and reading zoeharcombe.com. ( i will call ZH) there is more saturated fat, weight for weight in olive oil than in pork. All meat has some omega 3 and 6 depending to extent on what 'diet' the animals eat ( grass fed supposed to give more omega- 3 according to ZH.

Is that also the case in walnuts and whole olives ? Isn’t the fat in pork pure saturated fat ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
… in point 3 I meant to write fatty liver of moderate severity (ultra sound) turned normal (FibroScan <5% fat infiltration).
Prof. Sikaris is great. Perhaps you would enjoy Ivor Cummins' and Dave Feldman's lectures and presentations available on YouTube.

FYI dietary fat is (as long as it is a wholly natural fat not a man made one) not of concern wrt cholesterol.
Also see the possible negative effects of man made fats in so called 'cholesterol lowering' spreads etc in which plant sterols and stanols are used.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my TSH = 0.9 @ the same test for cholesterol / A1c ...etc. TSH had been around 1 pt I'm memory.

Thats okay but remember Insomnia Can raise cholesterol and also lead to type 2 diabetes and earlier death, have you tried Quetiapine ? It has really made miracles in my case , I take the whole days dose 2 hours before sleep , ask to see a neurologist it is not okay that you don’t get help for such a servere case of insomnia