Is there a substitute for psyllium husk ?

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm itching to make the Diet Doctors garlic bread but it and a lot of the bread ingredients says psyllium husk, does anyone know if you can get away without it ? Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's to help hold things together. Most recipes I have seen state it can't be substituted. Any reason you want to avoid it?

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's to help hold things together. Most recipes I have seen state it can't be substituted. Any reason you want to avoid it?
Oh ok, it's just I cant find it in the shops so will have to order online. Thank you

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazon is where I get mine. Be warned that some brands turn purple when baked, it is still edible, just looks a little odd.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Health food shops may sell it. People take it with water to add fibre.

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazon is where I get mine. Be warned that some brands turn purple when baked, it is still edible, just looks a little odd.
Thank you, just as well it's my favourite colour, lol.

TaraLMartin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For some almond bread recipes, they use either psyllium husk or flaxmeal instead. Maybe flaxmeal ?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I've taken to baking with just flax meal, with egg or egg white for binder. My preference anyway is for dense and moist, so I'm not seeing many disappointments. I made an almond flour pound cake last weekend that was delicious! Out of the oven it was a light fluffy medium-crumb yellow cake, and after a day ripening tightly wrapped in the frig it turned to more traditional pound cake. Never tried the DD breads.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never used psyllium in baking, I had an extremely unpleasant experience with it after it being recommended for constipation, and won't ever touch it again .

Like @zauberflote I've generally used eggs, or occasionally nothing extra to bind, and have always avoided the Diet Doctor recipes due to my issue with psillium!

Xanthan gum (available from some supermarkets or Amazon) seems to be used in gluten free baking and I found an informative article from Coeliac UK about using this or guar gum, which may be worth a look:
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/recipe-database/baking-hints-and-tips/

Robbity

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland and Barrett have it but it’s quite expensive. The lady in the shop advised me at the time for a substitute half the price. Good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be careful to get either the powder or the whole husks depending on what you need - I bought various powders from Amazon - psyllium, coconut and soy, in bulk and for good prices, as they were what I wanted for experiments in bread making.
I get milled seeds and whole seeds, ground almonds and other normal baking substances from supermarkets in small amounts as they have shorter shelf lives.

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie