unsolicited phone call sales of meds

Jenfy

Hi, After registering on here and doing the competition for a free meter I got a call from someone saying they were doing a local health survey but in fact they were trying to sell me some kind of capsule containing powdered pomegranate skin to take as supplement for diabetes. Has this happened to others? Am I likely to get more of these? The call at first seemed very helpful and the caller was obviously well versed in facts about diabetes, it's effects, and treatments offered by the NHS. It was quite a while before I realised they were trying to sell me something. They said I should take it for 12-18 months at first. Any one else been approached like this?

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Cant say this has happened to me, however i allways put down a payg mobile number that i rarely use (sim is a spare) so that's probably why.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Did you give your phone number when registering for the free meter?

frenchkittie

Was it for the Bayer meter, in the big advert at the bottom of this (and most other ) page?

This one... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-meters.html

Did you tick the 3rd box down, the one that says "I don't wish for Bayer plc to use my details to provide me with information on product improvements, learning more about diabetes or for statistical purposes."

Bayer sell an awful lot of dietary supplements, and things other than meters.

RussG

Not had this, and disappointed but not surprised to hear it happening.

Try registering with the telephone preference service - it's free and will cut down on your unsolicited calls. Some unscrupulous companies may ignore it but they are required by law to check their target numbers against the TPS. I believe there have been problems with companies outside the UK not being bound by it, but it has certainly reduced my level of cold calling considerably. You can tell people cold calling that they are committing an offence by calling your number :D

Companies you already have a relationship with can call you regardless unless you tell them you don't want any marketing calls. With any of these calls, make sure you tell them to remove you from their database.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
rglennon said:
Try registering with the telephone preference service - it's free and will cut down on your unsolicited calls.

I have been registered for years and it has definitely stopped around 95% of unsolicited calls and those who do still call always seem to hang up when asked if they have heard of the telephone preference service, funny that eh?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Jenfy - we don't actually sell or lease any details to anyone and so it's definitely not from us.

If you entered the free meter competition, the only people that have your data is Bayer - and they are under strict conditions as to how to use your data. It is VERY unlikely (I'd go as far as to say impossible) that they would've passed your details on to someone else. However, Frenchkittie could be right - did you tick the box saying: I don't wish for Bayer plc to use my details to provide me with information on product improvements, learning more about diabetes or for statistical purposes.

I could find out from Bayer how details are used if that would help?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I registered with the Telephone Preference Service but still get cold-callers, I'm very wary now when I register new items and sometimes don't bother at all, much the same with competitions etc.

Nigel

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Mum has had these calls more than once and she is not diabetic, registered on any forums etc. And she is also tps registered.
It is just regular cold calling it seems and I guess if challenged they would claim to be just doing lifestyle surveys!
I sometimes do surveys and soon after I get numerous calls claiming I have expressed an interest in something or ticked a box to say someone could contact me about something when I know I certainly haven't. If you challenge them they just say
Oh there must have been a mistake!
Regards
Angie

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah - seems it could just be call calling in that case!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I just say my mums not in :D Then ask do you have any sweets please :shock:

They normally say sorry and put the phone down :lol:

[youtube]ED74DqZEmUE[/youtube]

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh to be so young again and living at home! :)
Any unidentified numbers that call us I try and let my better half answer -he's a much better waffler than me and soon fobs them off (except the one time he said I wasn't free to come to the phone as I was on the loo! Bet they really wanted to know that...strangely enough though they didn't call back)
Regards
Angie

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
All I got was a quick survey call after entering (strangely, before I got the meter, but never mind). Lasted 5 minutes just.

Jenfy

Administrator said:
Hi Jenfy - we don't actually sell or lease any details to anyone and so it's definitely not from us.

If you entered the free meter competition, the only people that have your data is Bayer - and they are under strict conditions as to how to use your data. It is VERY unlikely (I'd go as far as to say impossible) that they would've passed your details on to someone else. However, Frenchkittie could be right - did you tick the box saying: I don't wish for Bayer plc to use my details to provide me with information on product improvements, learning more about diabetes or for statistical purposes.

I could find out from Bayer how details are used if that would help?
I think I did tick the box but my memory is a little shaky right now! It's OK it just took me by surprise and I may not have ticked the box. I'll just have to deal with it! But thank you for your concern x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have TPS but found an increasing amount of calls getting through (to the point of 2 or 3 a day) so now I don't answer my phone if I get a withheld or a number I don't recognise - I have a message on my answer phone thats says

"The people who live in this household do not answer witheld or unrecognised numbers - if you wish to speak to someone please leave your name, your organisation and your contact details and we will get back to you"

It seems to have done the trick as it's suprising how many dropped calls there was and now I haven't had any for weeks - and any genuine callers leave their number quite happily.

jopar

It could be one of those things, and nothing to do with Bayer meter you entered...

I had one today, that said 'a member of your household has filled out a survey indicating they may have had an accident in the last 3 years' Can't say what the rest of the message was as I put the phone down :lol:

But even with TPS cold calling his increasing where companies are ignoring the TPS list or the phone call is being gerneated from outside the country..

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
When I get a cold call I just say "hold on I'll get them for you" then sit silently and see how long they wait before they give up!