Changed from metformin to metformin SR sugars risen?

Jsw1968

Hi

My doctor has changed me from metformin to metformin SR but my sugars are higher is this normal? Does it take time for the new metformin to work? It’s been 8 days?

Thank you for reading

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, Metformin and Metformin SR are the same, except the SR is Slow Release. (this is kinder on the tummy). I doubt the change will be causing raised BS levels. In any event. Metformin and the SR version only help to a limited extent. It has to be used alongside a suitable diet, and the diet is far more important.

I will tag @daisy1 for her introductory post, which has valuable information in it. Meanwhile, have a wander round the forum and see how others are managing. Ask as many questions as you like.

Jsw1968

Thank you I’m on a very low carb and sugar diet my sugars were coming down before I swapped medication it’s all very weird

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I’m on a very low carb and sugar diet my sugars were coming down before I swapped medication it’s all very weird

Have there been any other changes, such as extra stress or anxiety? Changes in exercise? Could you be harbouring an illness, a virus, hay fever?

By how much have your levels increased? Do you test before and after meals?

Jsw1968

Have there been any other changes, such as extra stress or anxiety? Changes in exercise? Could you be harbouring an illness, a virus, hay fever?

By how much have your levels increased? Do you test before and after meals?
Hi nothing new going on just changed on Tuesday 1st May I have improved my diet over the last three months and am losing weight steadily

I’m testing regularly before they were between 7 and 9 ;still high) now between 11.5 and 14.5

Morning one is always around 10-12 no change

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi nothing new going on just changed on Tuesday 1st May I have improved my diet over the last three months and am losing weight steadily

I’m testing regularly before they were between 7 and 9 ;still high) now between 11.5 and 14.5

Morning one is always around 10-12 no change

Thank you

That is a big difference, and even before the change they were too high. Maybe it is your diet. If you tell us what you eat in a typical day we may be able to spot something you could change.

Jsw1968

That is a big difference, and even before the change they were too high. Maybe it is your diet. If you tell us what you eat in a typical day we may be able to spot something you could change.
I eat the same everyday its avocado on sourdough with a poached egg or scrambled egg and avocado no bread at all. Avocado and chicken with a small salad of tomato cucumber and lettuce and the same in the evening - so boring!!

Jsw1968

I eat the same everyday its avocado on sourdough with a poached egg or scrambled egg and avocado no bread at all. Avocado and chicken with a small salad of tomato cucumber and lettuce and the same in the evening - so boring!!
It’s the same as I was eating before

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That is very boring! Are you struggling to find decent meals? There is no need to be boring. Have you thought about ditching the sourdough (rather high in carb - and it is bread!) and having bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms, and a high meat content sausage (97% meat) for either breakfast or lunch. You could also have a bowl of double cream or a full fat yogurt with a few strawberries or raspberries thrown in for a pudding. What about other types of meat, fish, especially oily fish like salmon, vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and kale. Not forgetting loads of eggs, with any meal.

Have a look at this thread for some ideas,
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

and also the dietdoctor site has loads of recipes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Jsw1968

That is very boring! Are you struggling to find decent meals? There is no need to be boring. Have you thought about ditching the sourdough (rather high in carb - and it is bread!) and having bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms, and a high meat content sausage (97% meat) for either breakfast or lunch. You could also have a bowl of double cream or a full fat yogurt with a few strawberries or raspberries thrown in for a pudding. What about other types of meat, fish, especially oily fish like salmon, vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and kale. Not forgetting loads of eggs, with any meal.

Have a look at this thread for some ideas,
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

and also the dietdoctor site has loads of recipes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/
Was waiting for the sugars to settle then was going to add stuff in I’m told cherries blueberries and pears are good is this correct?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was waiting for the sugars to settle then was going to add stuff in I’m told cherries blueberries and pears are good is this correct?

The foods I mentioned will not raise blood sugars - you can add them any time. Carbs are the culprits.

Fruit is very difficult for us because of all the fructose it contains. The best choices are strawberries and raspberries - but only in small quantities. I find blueberries raise my levels too much. A small pear maybe OK but I wouldn't risk too many cherries.

Jsw1968

The foods I mentioned will not raise blood sugars - you can add them any time. Carbs are the culprits.

Fruit is very difficult for us because of all the fructose it contains. The best choices are strawberries and raspberries - but only in small quantities. I find blueberries raise my levels too much. A small pear maybe OK but I wouldn't risk too many cherries.
Thank you

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

My doctor has changed me from metformin to metformin SR but my sugars are higher is this normal? Does it take time for the new metformin to work? It’s been 8 days?

Thank you for reading
Exactly same thing happened to my BG the slow release was not concentrated enough to affect the absorbtion of carbs, I have low stomach acidity, I have now gone back to standard metformin taken as 1 tablet before meal 3 times a day usually with a warm drink

Jsw1968

Exactly same thing happened to my BG the slow release was not concentrated enough to affect the absorbtion of carbs, I have low stomach acidity, I have now gone back to standard metformin taken as 1 tablet before meal 3 times a day usually with a warm drink
Thank you will speak to dr if no better next week - down to 9 this afternoon

HT

im type 2 on gliclazide 40 mg 2 in the morning and one before evening meal but also on one statin b4 bed so need to watch my cholesterol

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
wont eating loads of eggs push your cholesterol levels up?
With eggs you can't have too many! A true superfood, low in carb high in protein. Dietary cholesterol has been debunked, it's just not relevant.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
im type 2 on gliclazide 40 mg 2 in the morning and one before evening meal but also on one statin b4 bed so need to watch my cholesterol

The statin will not be helping your blood glucose levels.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Thank you for reading
Hi. Couple years ago myself & another on this site were put on SR & we both had same problem. Bgs went higher so after 2 months or so went back to standard metformin, I prefer stomache upset occasionaly to higher bgs. Hope SR works better for you

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Jsw1968
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 600,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.