Fitness and insulin

Insulin_John

Hi folks

I'm new here and was diagnosed type1 in early April 08 ( :cry: ) and after a couple of year's non-activity, I'm wondering how best to resume a fitness regime (ie. running)?

I know to take enough carbs and not too much insulin before a jog (carrying a few jelly babies) but isn't there some chart I could measure it all by, as exercise increases over the months?

Cheers

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum, John

I'm type 1 and a runner too. There are others on the forum who also run regularly.
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules to managing insulin with exercise I'm afraid. As with diet, it's more a case of finding what works for you. Some won't start a distance run with sugars below 8-10mmol/l, which I think is crazy. I think your suggestion of keeping levels low and carrying something sweet with you is the best strategy. Works for me!

All the best,

fergus

Koala

Hello, Insulin_John

I'm type1 too.
After I was diagnosed, I had once played Badminton for 2.5 hrs (not continuous). I strated on 2 hr after lunch and my blood sugar was not high about 100-120 mg/dl (sorry, i don't know how to change its to mmol/l)

In the evening, I injected and ate like everyday I did before.
But at night, My blood sugar was increase to 200-220 mg/dl, then I consulted to my personel
expert. he told me badminton is strong-impact sport that people in diabetes should not to play.
coz your mechanism know that you have to use much sugar for balancing.
so, it'll bring sugar in muscle , glycogen to go back to bloodsteam,
that why my blood sugar raised.

Now, when i want to exercise i'll walking , cycling instead of strong-impact sport.

Is he right?
sorry, if my language make you confuse, i don't good in Eng. - -"

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Alright John,

If you can afford it, then I'd highly recommend investing in a treadmill.
The fact that you can easily quantify the duration and intensity of exercise takes some of
the guess work out of insulin/exercise/carb ratios. Plus you can stick it in front of the telly.

All the best,
timo.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm 61 and have had a stroke, so running is not for me, but I walk everywhere and do a couple of HARD walks per week, Maybe only about 4 miles, but up hills. progress seems slow, but when I look back a couple of years to where I was........
Exercise doesn't have to be very intense. it does have to raise your pulse rate a bit and go on fo about 45 minutes per day.
I concur on the treadmill idea. would that there were room for one in my cluttered house :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
To koala
If you're interested, the conversion factor for mmol/l to mg/dl is 18 or X2 X9.

tasha

Hi Koala

Of course you can do high intensity sports with diabetes!
It does make your blood sugar rise as your Dr suggested. I've been doing some research and a fellow forum user also suggested this-take a very small dosage of insulin before you exercise. Very important though-only take if you know you are going to be working very hard (experts say heart rate above 85%) and also only take small dose e.g. 1 or 2 units of rapid acting insulin.

Yesterday, I took 2 units of novarapid just before my spinning class. I was very nervous but had been given this advice from several people, including my doctor. My BS was 7.8 mmol before class (had eaten an hour earlier), 11.1 mmol 15 mins into class (panic at it rising but resisted urge to inject more insulin), 7.6mmol after class and 5.6mmol 1hr later! Perfect! Especially considering last week the class caused me to rise above the capabilities of my meter.

Remember-if you are exercising at less than 85% of max heart rate don't inject! Your BS will fall naturally because of the exercise and injecting insulin will obviously be catastrophic. Medium/low intensity exercise requires the opposite i.e. extra sugar!

take care
tasha x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm T2. I play a lot of tennis, & my heart rate during intense rallies rises to 100% of the max for my age (150/min) & stays above 80% while playing. The resting rate is 60/min.

My BS may start at 6 & rise to 7-8 during a 2 hour session. I normally eat a dried apricot between sets.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
im type 1, and i ice skate for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week.

I ice skate with my other half. we've just entered the synchro team.

It's really good excerise and challenging at the same time, when we learn new jumps and spins it's a lot of work an energy going into practicing and learning new stuff.

Its fun! :)

Koala

tasha ,

Thanks for your suggestion.
It's very interesting, i've just known in this way.

I'll try to do on next time.