Insulin

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject levamier witch is slow acting and novorapid which is fast acting I was ment to have novorapid now but had levamier instead by accident just wondering if it will still be okay to have novorapid aswell or not thanks

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just I need novorapid before food but don't want to take it as I have had levamier so I can't eat and don't no what Todo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just I need novorapid before food but don't want to take it as I have had levamier so I can't eat and don't no what Todo

Hi, parkinsonryan, I see you've been recently dx'd so it's understandable it's all a bit of a mystery at the moment!

Ok, you've taken your basal, slow acting, levemir instead of the bolus, fast acting novorapid.

The levemir you have just taken will act just like it normally would, a slow acting insulin to take care of background needs.

But because you have taken it now instead of when you normally would, it means that you shouldn't "double up" the dose when the time comes for when you normally take the levemir dose.

Let's say, for example, you normally inject the levemir before bed. When it gets to that time, think back to how much you just injected and then adjust the dose. If, for example, you would normally inject, say, 10u of levemir before bed, but you've just accidentally injected 6u, drop the 10u back to 4u, so you end up with 10u overall - there's a lot of leeway with slow basal insulin, the timing doesn't matter too much.

Although you've injected the levemir sooner than you might normally do, it won't affect what you should do with the fast bolus novorapid. You still need that for meals, the levemir won't affect that.

Just make sure you inject the novorapid on the other side of your stomach: the levemir will do its thing - keeping you steady when not eating, the novorapid will do its - dealing with meals.

Good luck!