Type 2 Sugars fine but food gets rid of symptoms

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So woke up this morning feeling like I had been drinking for the last week.
Blinding headache etc. Tested thinking I was on a 4, I was 6.8, retested and still in 6s. So very curious

Had some water (so I guess could be that) but then I had a phd bar (I’m testing to see if these are ok fir me).

Quite quickly the headache went. Still there in background and still extremely tired but is it possible for food to get rid of low blood sugar symptoms even if sugars are fine?

I was carb free whole of yesterday and had only just got up used loo and got back into bed when I tested.

I guess I my head I’m thinking the food shouldn’t have got rid of headache if sugars are fine because it can’t be the sugars.

It’s also Sunday and brain is working even less than usual so apologies if a stupid question

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are not used to eating so very few carbs, that could cause the headaches. Dehydration could also be an issue in the morning.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think, as diabetics, we have to be careful how we attribute symptoms such as a headache.

My first thoughts are always towards to diabetes being the cause of any ache and pain, even when I've tested and found my numbers to be good. I do try to sieve out the general symptoms that could be found by those who don't have our problem unless they are persistent, such as your headache recurring daily.

I'd guess that you answered your own question with the 'had a drink of water' bit and was probably bit of dehydration.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you are not used to eating so very few carbs, that could cause the headaches. Dehydration could also be an issue in the morning.

I did think that but the bar is extremely low carb so assuming that that wouldn’t help a carb free headache?

The water was just a couple of gulps.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think, as diabetics, we have to be careful how we attribute symptoms such as a headache.

My first thoughts are always towards to diabetes being the cause of any ache and pain, even when I've tested and found my numbers to be good. I do try to sieve out the general symptoms that could be found by those who don't have our problem unless they are persistent, such as your headache recurring daily.

I'd guess that you answered your own question with the 'had a drink of water' bit and was probably bit of dehydration.

It was just a couple of gulps of water.

But main thing is feeling better lol!!

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I did think that but the bar is extremely low carb so assuming that that wouldn’t help a carb free headache?

The water was just a couple of gulps.

Maybe that's all it took....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Tophat1900 , especially if you are taking the Forxiga mentioned in your profile info. First side effect I’ve seen listed for this med is dehydration.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those bars use maltitol. For many people our bodies react identically to if it were actual sugar. So it sounds to me like carb flu, sugar withdrawal, call it what you will. AFter a day of much lower carbs than normal my guess is that it’s false hypo relieved by the bar because your body thinks it’s sugar. My bet is these bars don’t suit you and this proves it. Dehydration could well be a factor too. Less carbs in your body means it doesn’t “Hold” onto water as much (carbs retain water!).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I came across a term just yesterday, cerebral phase insulin response. I had heard people joke about this - Gary Taubes, in one of his lectures asks the audience to imagine a warm doughnut and after a second or two he says "there, you just had an insulin response!" So when we eat things with sweeteners as soon as they touch our lips we have an insulin response it doesn't matter if there are carbs in there or not the body thinks carbs are coming and responds to that.
Then when the body realises that 'hey! There were no carbs in that so my bg might go low, omg I have to signal hunger to get the carbs I missed out on!'

We are all different in our responses but keeping the frequency and duration of insulin responses to a minimum is as important imo as keeping bg in a good range.