Water - 2 litres a day ?

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Did anyone see the Matthew Wright show this morning ? I'm sure I heard him say a new report says 8 glasses ( 2 litres ) of water a day has NO benefit whatsoever. Well I only know if I get a headache from highish Bg, water helps a lot. Perhaps I don't need quite so much though. Any thoughts ?

ClaireG 06

On my recent hospital stay, one of the nurses was trying to get everyone to drink at least 3 jugs of water a day and each jug contained a litre.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Think I'll choose to ignore the advice on Mr wright's show and stick with what I know works, was I to drink any less then I would soon become dehydrated......more so in the warm weather!

Nigel

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Much better to ensure you pee enough - 30ml of urine per hour shows kidneys are working normally, which equals 720ml per 24 hrs, round up to 750ml for an easier figure. So, three decent pees a day (3 x 250ml) is enough.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I dont drink water just abt 6/7 cups of tea prob equals to 2 litres.

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:roll: yes I think I will ignore the report ( so called ) as well, quite happy with the water I'm going through. 8)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
A normal bladder empties 4 - 7 times each day depending on how much you drink and holds up to three-quarters of a pint.(450lm) It usually starts to tell you that you will need to go to the toilet soon when half this amount is in your bladder. For example, you may wake up once or twice to pass water and your bladder will tell you when it is full but gives you enough time to find a toilet. A normal bladder empties completely every time you pass water and does not leak.
Try to drink at least 2 to 3 pints (1.2 litres) of fluid each day - remembering that many foods already contain plenty of water in them. If you currently drink less than this, try and increase the amount you drink gradually. Drink fairly small quantities at any one time, regularly throughout the day.
Ref:
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/bladder/healthy-bladder.asp

Told to drink 2lts water a day by urologist keep kidneys clean and pee a light colour
I have to empty my bladder 6<>7 time a day via self single use catheter it has a bag attached with scale on so i know the exact amount that comes out around 300ml<>400ml each time
My min urine output is 1.8lts @ day :roll:

Fluid is also lost from body via
Poo
Sweat
Exhaled breath

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I think I'll stick to drinking about 2 litres a day. I know I feel better when I do.

Ailz

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When it comes to water, the more the better! I wouldn't DREAM of drinking less than 2L a day. (Although I have been missing that target lately due to illness. Poor me...)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
The 8 glasses per day figure was made up (I'm sure it was by Robinsons, or someone ;)) in order to try to get people who do not drink enough to increase how much water they consume. There is no point in sticking a random number at it though, as it depends on so many things (your size, amount of exercise, what you eat...) Other drinks and water in food also count towards your daily amount too.

The way I look at it is that I should never become thirsty. That doesn't mean drinking litres of water in a day, making sure I don't become thirsty. It just means having a glass on my desk and taking a small drink from time to time as a matter of habit.