Low Carbing and Indian Food

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sid,

Please thank Doris for the recipe, it was delicious and I will certainly cook it again.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Serena51 said:
Patch - howabout your curry recipes?

I'll post some up at lunch time... Watch this space. :wink:

maltman said:

I saw that a while back - haven't found Chana Dahl anywhere though. (There a so many Dahl's available I'm never sure which one is the right one to go for! :oops: And I'd LOVE to make Tarka Dahl with this Chana stuff!))

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I bought a small sack of chana dhal from a large tesco superstore last year sometime but TBH it was such a chore having to soak it for hours prior to cooking that most of it got thrown away. I believe that pressure cookers are the way to go if you want to cook chana dhal as they cut out the soaking time by the nature of the way they cook under pressure.

When talking about chana dhal most people when you mention it assume it is a dish made from chick peas, although it is a pulce in its own right. Someone I talked to mentioned that chana dhal are in fact chick peas that have been split and polished??? Who knows?

What I tend to make now is the dish chana dal which is made using chick peas which we buy in a tin ready to go. I only eat a small amount, one or two tablespoons and it doesnt appear to affect my numbers much, if at all.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought a small sack of chana dhal from a large tesco superstore last year sometime but TBH it was such a chore having to soak it for hours
Sid, I was going to say the same about buying from Tesco. Perhaps we had a different brand as it only says to soak for 30 mins. It's been fine.. though I haven't used it that much as I seem to have loads left and the use by date is August this year.
Can dried pulses actually go off?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here we go - the revalation in this recipe for me was the ONION PUREE. It makes your curry exactly like an indian take away!!!

Patch's Lamb Madras Recipe
========================

800g Lamb (Leg) Steak
300ml Lamb Stock
2 onions (finely chopped - with some pieces left larger)
2 Teaspoons Ginger Puree (Quick Ginger)
2 Teaspoons Garlic Puree (Quick Garlic)
200g Butter (Ghee)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
4 tsp Curry Powder
2 tsp Chilli Powder
2 tsp Garam Masala
1 Green Finger Chilli
1 Tin Chopped Toms
2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
300ml Pureed Onion

Onion Puree: Can be done in a pan (boil chopped onions, drain and blend), or in the microwave. To microwave, chop onions and add a little water, microwave on HIGH for mins, stir and repeat until onions are very soft. Blend with a stck blender. Th eonion puree makes this dish.

Cook the onions in the butter gently and slowly until they turn a golden brown colour.

Add the ginger puree, garlic puree, curry powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, to a little water to make apaste. Add to saucepan and stir in well and fry for a couple of minutes. This smells AWESOME.

Add the 800g Lamb and stir in well, browning the lamb.

Add the fresh chilli. (I remove the seeds and finely chop 1 green chillie).

Mix the Chopped Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Onion Puree, together in a jug with the stock, pour into the saucepan and mix in well. Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for 20 Minutes. Stir occasionally.

Finally sprinkle in the Garam masala and stir in well for the final 2 minutes of cooking.

Fresh Corriander to garnish is optional, and horrible. :twisted: (I hate fresh corriander...)

I eat his on it's own. No need for any side dishes.

The onion puree can be used in many other curries, and freezes really well. I usually have some in the freezer ready to go just in case.

I also keep a box of Patak's Cocunut Cream in the cupboard. It comes in really handy pouches, and will turn any curry into a creamy version. (Lose the fresh chilli if you make a creamy curry, though).

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Thanks for that Patch, Like you I'm not a fan of fresh coriander either.

Jane

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:shock: Patch/Sid, thanks , I am busy writing these down. Got to try them. Sound great !! :D

yorkrambler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
meds!
Hi, does anyone have a recipe for crispy onion bhaji / veg pakora please? I used to use gram flour and rice flour which was great but now I am LCHF that's not really an option. I have tried ground almonds/almond flour and that does not really come out crunchy regardless of what you fry it in. Can anyone help please?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very old thread but @yorkrambler's new post asks a very good question: is there a low carb batter for onion bhajis, aubergine fritters, fish etc?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crushed pork crackles.. the dry ones with little to no fat could work as a kind of batter maybe?

yorkrambler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
meds!
An onion bhaji recipe I found - but like the author says onions can be high in carbs so you may need to be careful. No nutritional info but it would be easy to work out yourself
Hi, Many thanks for this, have you tried this recipe with success? When I tried 'breaded' mushrooms using almond flour they did not come out crispy or crunchy, just coated. From what I have read psyllium husks help things bind and I cannot see how the could make things crispy? Prior to going LCHF, my onion bhajis consisted of red pepper and onion, gram flour and rice flour, garam masala and any other seasoning, bound with a mix of water and yogurt, and fried in oil. They tasted great and when freshly done were light and crispy. My problem is how to replace the flours as the oil is easily replaced with dripping which gives a crispier result than olive oil and the onion proportion lowered to 1/4 with the peppers taking up 3/4 of the veg mix, my spices were sugar free and the yogurt can be whole yogurt or omitted altogether. I love my korma which I have managed to make LCHF and chicken tikka bites (LCHF) and bhaji/pakora if only I could master them!?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for replying, what are crushed pork crackles? Sorry to not know :(
Hey are like pork scratchings but without the fat layer.. they are more like quavers light and fluffy and a bit dry but made from puffed up pig skin.
They look like th
default_fb1482be9ddfef8c6efb2afa3dab1402_chicharrones dreamstimesmall_92465402.jpg
is

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Many thanks for this, have you tried this recipe with success? When I tried 'breaded' mushrooms using almond flour they did not come out crispy or crunchy, just coated. From what I have read psyllium husks help things bind and I cannot see how the could make things crispy? Prior to going LCHF, my onion bhajis consisted of red pepper and onion, gram flour and rice flour, garam masala and any other seasoning, bound with a mix of water and yogurt, and fried in oil. They tasted great and when freshly done were light and crispy. My problem is how to replace the flours as the oil is easily replaced with dripping which gives a crispier result than olive oil and the onion proportion lowered to 1/4 with the peppers taking up 3/4 of the veg mix, my spices were sugar free and the yogurt can be whole yogurt or omitted altogether. I love my korma which I have managed to make LCHF and chicken tikka bites (LCHF) and bhaji/pakora if only I could master them!?
I haven't tried them just found the recipe for you :) I tend to make curried cauli and saag paneer as accompaniments at home - when out for an Indian or a takeaway I do partake of an onion bhaji as it's a rare treat seem to cope with it ok, maybe because I also have a glass of wine on these occasions

yorkrambler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
meds!