DVLA Licence Renewal

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today I got a letter from the DVLA for my driving licence renewal as it'll be 3 years in July. I was having a little look through the paperwork to fill out and the medical questionnaire, DIAB1, asks if you've had any hypos in the last 12 months. I assumed it meant hypos where you require third party assistance. Over the next page however, it asked about the severe hypos.
My control is good but not that good and I've had '2 or more hypos' in the last 12 months. I still have hypo awareness and never required third party assistance.

My question - has anyone ever had an issue with the DVLA due to ticking the '2 or more hypos in the last 12 months' box?

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I got a letter from the DVLA for my driving licence renewal as it'll be 3 years in July. I was having a little look through the paperwork to fill out and the medical questionnaire, DIAB1, asks if you've had any hypos in the last 12 months. I assumed it meant hypos where you require third party assistance. Over the next page however, it asked about the severe hypos.
My control is good but not that good and I've had '2 or more hypos' in the last 12 months. I still have hypo awareness and never required third party assistance.

My question - has anyone ever had an issue with the DVLA due to ticking the '2 or more hypos in the last 12 months' box?

Thanks

Hello,

Have they been "blue lighters" needing third party assistance (HCPs) to pull you back from passing out in this timescale?
If you are still hypo awair & able to safely treat yourself? (Asking a friend or partner for a sweet don't count either.) I see no issue.

Reactions: ScottyD

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry,
Late night for me... Asking a friend or partner/wife to hand you a hypo treatment counts in respect you are still functional, cohesive & have cognitive response to recognise &'sort yourself out. (Hypo wise.) ;)

Not classed as "severe."

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Have they been "blue lighters" needing third party assistance (HCPs) to pull you back from passing out in this timescale?
If you are still hypo awair & able to safely treat yourself? (Asking a friend or partner for a sweet don't count either.) I see no issue.

Thanks for the response! Never been caught out and never required any help so I have no reason to worry. I have just come across one or two threads where the DVLA can seem difficult in certain circumstances so just thought I'd ask!

Magic1973

Hi Scotty are you aware if the CAA have now accepted use of the Freestyle Libre sensor? I am cabin crew doing my annual 12mth crew medical, having just submitted my 6 months worth of 2 hourly blood glucose readings on my finger pricker monitor, I am hoping going forward that next year we’ll be able to use data instead on the Freestyle Libre! I have contacted CAA who told me to ask my AME.....I have still not heard from them and was just wondering/anxious to know! If you know can you please advise as I cannot find any info online anywhere. Thanks Samantha xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there an option to write notes or comments on this form? If so, perhaps clarify your position on that.

Ktmpedro220

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One section will be how many hypos have you had. These will be below 4, I think, a couple or so a month is expected. The next section will ask whether you've had any severe, that require someone to help you.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I filled out the online form asking how many hypos I've had in the last 12 months; none, one or two or more. I answered 2 or more. It then asked if I felt them. I do, so yes. Then is progressed on to how many hypos I've had that required 3rd party assistance to which I've experienced none. New 3 year licence arrived 5 working days later. No issues.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I filled out the online form asking how many hypos I've had in the last 12 months; none, one or two or more. I answered 2 or more. It then asked if I felt them. I do, so yes. Then is progressed on to how many hypos I've had that required 3rd party assistance to which I've experienced none. New 3 year licence arrived 5 working days later. No issues.

Thank you for this update. My 3 year license is due to expire soon for the first time :-D