Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies test result...

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So....I have just received my GAD and c-peptide results over the telephone. My c-peptide is low and my GAD is over 2000!!! I am now officially a type 1 diabetic with an urgent hospital appointment for tomorrow morning to discuss treatments.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good to have such a clear result so you know where you are. I'm sure your treatment will involve insulin but don't panic as it's more of a nuisance than a problem.

Reactions: RainbowBrite

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good to have such a clear result so you know where you are. I'm sure your treatment will involve insulin but don't panic as it's more of a nuisance than a problem.

Thank you Diabell. I am slightly worried about carb counting each meal although I have kind of starting doing this in readiness of a positive result so hopefully won't be as confusing as my silly head is making it out to be :)

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rainbowbrite

I am in a similar position to yourself following a positive anti Gad test. That was in January this year so I am slightly further down the road than you.

Take each day at a time. It does get easier. I would recommend the Carbs & Cals book or App. I have found them both useful for Carb counting. The App is particularly useful if you are eating out.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rainbowbrite

I am in a similar position to yourself following a positive anti Gad test. That was in January this year so I am slightly further down the road than you.

Take each day at a time. It does get easier. I would recommend the Carbs & Cals book or App. I have found them both useful for Carb counting. The App is particularly useful if you are eating out.
Thank you h884. Eating out is one of my biggest worries...I had to eat at a pub a few weekend ago and I was stumped with what to have. Everything seemed so carb heavy.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi RainbowBrite

Eating out is a challenge, but developing carb counting skills will allow you to balance carbs and insulin requirements. It is not as easy as preparing your own food but it is important not to let this stop you from enjoying a meal out.

I am sure you will see a dietician soon who will get you started on carb counting

It will get easier and remember take one day at a time

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rainbowbrite

Can I please ask which app it is that you refer to?
Screenshot_20190509-224811_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, it is the 3rd one down. It is a useful resource on carb content of a range of
Foods. There is a charge for this app but at 3.99 well worth it.

Hope your appointments went ok today

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you h884. Eating out is one of my biggest worries...I had to eat at a pub a few weekend ago and I was stumped with what to have. Everything seemed so carb heavy.

Bear in mind that as a T1 you have more food choice than a T2, as though you have to inject for them, you're not actually carb intolerant like T2s. Insulin can be your friend here. Having said that, lots of T1s do have a relatively low carb diet just because it's easier to control with less insulin on board. But that is/will be your choice to make. Eating out at pubs? Just ruthlessly leave the excess carbs you don't want to eat. (Chips may be yummy but you don't have to eat them all....)

Pizza is a bit of a T1 kryptonite though - so hard to get the insulin right for it. :)

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi RainbowBrite

How are things going ?
Hi h884

Thanks for asking. It's going ok but my levels have been really high over the weekend.

I was put on 8 units of Toujeo daily and 4 units of NovoRapid with each meal. I need to send it across to the nurses on Wednesday morning and I'm fairly certain there will be some adjusting. Feeling a bit rough due to sugars being so blooming high again. And a bit disappointed that after managing to get them so low, they are on the rise again. But I know there is a good reason behind it xx

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi RainbowBrite

Don't be too disappointed it can take a while to get the insulin correct. My basal / longacting insulin still gets adjusted depending on where my levels are. My short acting insulin is based on carbs

You will feel off when your levels are high. It's is good that you recognise that

Keep up the good work. It will get better

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi RainbowBrite

Don't be too disappointed it can take a while to get the insulin correct. My basal / longacting insulin still gets adjusted depending on where my levels are. My short acting insulin is based on carbs

You will feel off when your levels are high. It's is good that you recognise that

Keep up the good work. It will get better
I'm trying to not get disheartened too much as I know it's going to get worse before it gets better x