Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Courts_12 ,

Have a belated welcome to the forum from me!

I'm sorry to hear you seem to be kept in "limbo" regarding your lab results. & possibly the appropriate course of treatment from your doctor.
The main focus would be pushing for definitive answers from your HCPs.

No one can diagnose you online. Neither can there be any speculation on your condition regarding reference from "statistics" with other cases.

You have my best wishes & hope. Keep enquiring at your surgery for the results which will help you find a way forward. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Can you provide a reference for this fact?
I am interested as someone who was diagnosed with type 1 with normal bmi at a higher age and aware of others.

As for Theresa May eating chips. there is nothing wrong with eating chips (or any carbs) when you have type 1 (which is it reported she definitely has) diabetes if you inject your insulin.
Chips (or any carbs) do not lead directly to insulin resistance.
My comment was specifically about under 30's. If you are under 30 and diagnosed with diabetes, it's important to check for type 1. There are loads of references. Here's one:
A hospital based cross sectional study was performed in patients aged ≤30 years attending diabetic clinics in Leeds during the year 2000. Results: A total of 677 subjects were identified, of whom 621 (92%) and 37 (5%) had type 1 and type 2 diabetes respectively.https://adc.bmj.com/content/88/8/676

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probabilistically normal BMI and under 30 would indicate type 1. I never said anything about it being age restricted. There are just more cases. But you need IA2 and GAD antibodies.
Without IA2 and GAD antibodies, Teresa May could be thin type 2. She couldn't control her blood sugars with diet (she was pictured eating hot chips on the campaign trail over the weekend, so I'm not surprised) so she went onto insulin. More and more thin type 2's, who have more type1 like symptoms, are put on insulin and told they're type 1 without any sign of antibodies.

I'm not sure I've read such a misguided post to be honest. Mrs May has been diagnosed as type 1 NOT a thin type 2 and even if she had negative antibodies that does NOT mean she is not type 1. As for the hot chips, words fail me. Are you actually saying that she went onto insulin because she 'ate chips' and you are therefore not surprised, so type 2s have brought it all on themselves have they as it must be down to what they eat?. Talk about being judgemental, and you are WRONG about antibodies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay
@ert
@KK123

While your discussion is both interesting and informative, it is not very helpful to the OP, who came here for support while waiting for test results.

Could you please take your discussion elsewhere, and cease derailing this thread.
Thank you in advance.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2 5 years ago. After changing diet and trying various medications, my gp put me on insulin as my hba1c kept rising. Finally referred to a consultant when my hba1c was 117. GAD and cpeptide testing done. Cpeptide very low and GAD over 2000 so diagnoses changed to type 1 and just started a new insulin regime. I am 5ft 3in and 54kg.

@Courts_12 hang on in there. Take each day at a time...I'm learning to walk before I run. Good luck and keep us updated xx

Reactions: Brunneria