Should I be worried

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So I had gestational diabetes 10 years ago. I have to go for yearly fasting glucose tests. Last years was “abnormal but expected” that’s all I was told. This year I had my test yesterday morning and this morning the receptionist rang and said I have to have a telephone consultation with the doctor but it’s not urgent. Don’t know whether to be worried or not

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @mashandsoph

The only way your going to know for sure is to speak to your GP and until then why worry, it really could be anything, as they've said its not urgent then it doesn't sound like anything to be worried about, wait and see what Tuesday's conversation brings, best wishes J

Reactions: Freema

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
From my own personal experience, if its that urgent you will be called in immediately. My initial hba1c was done on a Wednesday morning - the results were back Wednesday afternoon and I had to go in to see the doctor first thing on Thursday morning. This was because my hba1c was very high (106).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had gestational diabetes 10 years ago. I have to go for yearly fasting glucose tests. Last years was “abnormal but expected” that’s all I was told. This year I had my test yesterday morning and this morning the receptionist rang and said I have to have a telephone consultation with the doctor but it’s not urgent. Don’t know whether to be worried or not

Might happen you have caught prediabetic level but not diabetes ... it is not urgent then but something to take serious and if so try to avoid getting diabetes , but many factors play in also inherited lifestyle eating style if one is sedentary or drink a lot of alcohol ... you probably dont have diabetes yet then I Think they would have reacted in another way

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even if it is a diagnosis it’s not the end of the world and we in here can help you deal with it. Quite a number of us type 2’s are grateful for our diagnosis as it provided the wake up call we needed to sort our lifestyle and eating out for the better and achieve not just diabetic control but weight loss and improvement in other conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraine, inflammation, pcos, digestive complaints and I’ve even seen asthma and psoriasis mentioned in here as improving.

It might be a repeat of the abnormal but expected that a different dr has chosen to highlight and explain. Only speaking to them will solve the mystery. Book the appointment and remember it already is whatever it is and worrying I t he meantime won’t actually change a thing, just make you feel worse. This time though ask for the numbers (not a worded summary) for not just this test but all previous ones too. They should give you a printout and in England they should all be available if you sign up to online medical records. Drs have a habit of editing what they think you need to know in ways we wouldn’t necessarily choose them to.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I would ring the receptionist and ask for the glucose level, and while you are at it, ask for the level last year that was abnormal but expected. You are working blind unless you know these numbers. You could also ask for a print out, which will show you in black and white. Without this knowledge, when you speak to your doctor, you won't have a clue what he is about to say, and being forewarned is being forearmed.

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I called the doctors today to see what my result actually was and it was fasting glucose 8.1, they didn’t say what last years was and I need to wait to speak to the doctor on Thursday

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I called the doctors today to see what my result actually was and it was fasting glucose 8.1, they didn’t say what last years was and I need to wait to speak to the doctor on Thursday

Ask him for print outs of last years and this years results, and ask if the surgery puts test results on line and how to register for this service. Better than having to hang around waiting for someone to tell you.

Your fasting glucose is high. (7 and over is indicative of T2) but will need to be followed by an Hba1c to confirm a diagnosis.

Reactions: mashandsoph