Prednisolone

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Antibodies positive for myasthenia gravis so I am starting steroids. Any advice available to try and avoid weight gain? I already put on half a stone for some reason

Waiting to hear from the surgery as neurologist said I needed s review. Will be increasing steroids for a few weeks and then inpatient at some point for immunosuppressants.

Anybody been given anything to help with rising blood sugar levels?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for that link it's very helpful. Out of the long list food, I can have spinach and yoghurt!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you have confirmation, @xfieldok
But at the same time, having a clear explanation for what is happening must be slightly settling, because you are no longer in limbo.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is in a way. Trying to get my head round all the drug requirements with double vision is no fun. Asked surgery for urgent diabetic review and was told 29 may.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been taking prednisolone for about 12 years. I’ve always been overweight, and did gain while on the prednisolone. I’ve been up as high as 70 mg and the lowest was 5 mg. I’m currently on 10 mg.

About 4 years ago I became diabetic type 2 (steroid induced). I was lucky to find this forum in the week of diagnosis and by the time I had my first appt with the nurse I had been low carb for 3 weeks, and knew to ignore all references to the eatwell plate. Over the next 2 years I lost 8 stone.
I’m not saying that this would happen to everyone, we are all difference.
You do need to watch your blood sugar levels, as prednisolone can raise blood sugar levels.

Good luck

Margaret

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been taking prednisolone for about 12 years. I’ve always been overweight, and did gain while on the prednisolone. I’ve been up as high as 70 mg and the lowest was 5 mg. I’m currently on 10 mg.

About 4 years ago I became diabetic type 2 (steroid induced). I was lucky to find this forum in the week of diagnosis and by the time I had my first appt with the nurse I had been low carb for 3 weeks, and knew to ignore all references to the eatwell plate. Over the next 2 years I lost 8 stone.
I’m not saying that this would happen to everyone, we are all difference.
You do need to watch your blood sugar levels, as prednisolone can raise blood sugar levels.

Good luck

Margaret

Wow, that is really impressive. Well done!
(Except for the part about needing the steroid in the first place. Commiserations on that)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @MargaretR. All info is helpful. I know I could trawl the forum, but I am finding it very difficult at the moment.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Bluetit1802 thanks for the tag.

@xfieldok I'm sorry to see that you have had your diagnosis confirmed I was hoping it wouldn't be I have had MG for about 17 years now. Was put on prednisolone at a lowish dose at first and mestinon but it's the preds that drive up weight I fear after a few years on ever increasing dose my weight eventually ballooned to about 18.5 stones I became a drug induced diabetic.

All sounds very depressing MG is bad enough to cope with without all that. And already having to cope with T2 big hugs for that.

But do not despair even though I still am taking prednisolone my weight is now about 11 stone and was lower a few months ago.
and my blood sugars are in the normal range, so it is possible to gain control but it is not easy I went on LCHF diet but I found I also had to limit my calories as well.

Over time that worked but you have to find a balance that suits you as an individual. So that you can limit your weight gain also remember that MG may reduce your muscularity and if on an extreme diet that can cause a loss of muscle mass as well you need to consult with your doctor and neurologist in this matter.

Preds will/can cause blood sugar to rise quite substantially and the only way I personally have been able to cope with that is by reducing carbohydrates I don't know what dosage you are on but I am now only taking 15 mg per day I have found taking them early in the day is best taking them later for me seems to make things worse and I never take them at night as not only can you wake with high fbg but preds can also cause insomnia if taken at night.

I was put on Azathioprine they can take between 6 months to a year to kick in but after 3 years taking them I have been taken off them as leukocytes went down to zero while on them there are however other meds they can prescribe but it seems I am stuck with preds Azathioprine is meant as a prednisolone sparing med for me that didn't work out.

Don't forget either that MG can be a very variable condition and with many people it can be controlled quite well and they can lead a normal or near normal life.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope your MG and Diabetes treat you kindly.

Hope this has been of some little help maybe when my brain starts working a bit better I may be of more help but MG gets worse as the day progresses and I have neglected to take my afternoon nap always recommended for MG as it helps conserve your acetylcholine.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen thank you so much for sharing, it is very helpful. I was so happy no longer napping during the day due to raging diabetes. I am sure I have many adjustments to make. It's a relief to be able chat to people who are in the same boat. Have found a FB group. Mainly US but a nice bunch of people.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen thank you so much for sharing, it is very helpful. I was so happy no longer napping during the day due to raging diabetes. I am sure I have many adjustments to make. It's a relief to be able chat to people who are in the same boat. Have found a FB group. Mainly US but a nice bunch of people.

Thanks Brunneria. I took prednisolone initially for polymyalgia rheumatica, which changed into rheumatoid arthritis. All part of the autoimmune family. I agree with John, we all have to find what works for. And I know I wouldn’t have got things under control without this forum.

I also take my prednisolone in the morning, like John. I have the enteric coated ones because they are easier on the stomach. My morning blood test before breakfast is usually in the high 4s. It then drops to the low 4s before lunch. By then though the enteric coating is wearing off, and I have learnt to accept a small rise to 6 or 7 no matter what I eat. That’s the prednisolone for you.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wondering if there is anything else I can take alongside the Metformin in case glucose goes through the roof.

Planning on keeping records of numbers, food and blood pressure and weight. It's back to basics.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

xfieldok, your confirmed diagnosis must be a bitter blow. :(

When I was trying to learn about thyroid matters, I found HealthUnlocked. It's a sort of aggregator site for health fora. I'm now a member of their ThyroidUK and Gluten Free Guerillas areas - both of which have been useful, but the thyroid area is stellar, in my view. I wonder if there might be anything over there for you?

There are fora for all manner of stuff.

It might be wrth having a rummage. https://healthunlocked.com