HbA1C Test

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am interested to know more about the blood test

Does it look at your average blood sugar over the 3 months or does it pick up only when your readings were at their worst over the 3 months

Reason. Is I tested my blood 270 times over the 3 month period and only 12 times in the 3 months my readings were 9 or a bit over On average they ranged from 3.9 to 8.2 yet the result from My HbA1C blood test at my GP was 9.2 cannot understand why it’s 9.2 and not much lower

Can anyone help ???

D

Deleted Account

Hey @thaddydv
Have you had a look around www.diabetes.co.uk?
As well as the forum, this is an amazing library of easy to understand short articles about diabetes which answer question such as the ones you posed above and more.
Take yourself to the Home page of the site, type "Hb1AC" into the Search box in the top right of the page and you will find this page listed as the first one on the site: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
It will tell you exactly what you want to know and more.

I highly recommend taking a look around the site. There is so much to learn about diabetes. Some pages will help you now and some are useful to remember for future reference.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c represents the average over 3 months, it doesn't just respond to high values. An HbA1c of 9% is equivalent of an average glucose level of 11.8 so something is wrong with the figures. The are reasons to do with red cell lifetime and anemia that can make HbA1c inaccurate but that is unlikely to account for your discrepancy. I would check you have been given the right result if you haven't already done so

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks at how the red blood cells have responded to glucose over their life time. Each cell typically lasts 8-12 weeks so that’s the period it averages over.

As far as why your reading don’t correspond there’s a number of reasons. Apart from an error in the the test or it’s reporting, very occasionally it can be anemia or other conditions affecting rbc and their longevity. More commonly your testing is missing the highs.

270 times in 3 months is less than 3 times a day. Easy to miss spikes. Perhaps food is not rising til after you test and maybe it’s quite high or has risen and fallen before you test. Perhaps food eaten at a meal you don’t check is doing more damage than you realise.

What testing regime do you use?

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for your informative reply

I test using an Accuchek Mobile Testing Device I Test usually 3 times a day First one is first thing in the morning The second test is before I have lunch/dinner at 1pm daily after my hour long walk This Reading is normally between 3.9 and 5.6 The Third Test is 2hours after my evening meal and can be between 7.4 and 8.6

I eat the same food every day of the week I never vary I prepare my own food as my wife is disabled and is peg fed . I am very disciplined as I’m determined to get my readings down that why I am not happy with my recent blood test I know my readings aren’t ideal but they should be better than the Test readings

Thank you for reading my Story

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your second test is likely to be the lowest of the entire day. It’s past any dawn phenomenon, it’s before food and after a decent walk.

What are you eating at each meal. That might give clues if you are missing rises. Have you ever tested the before and after of each meal? Is it identical every single day?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Test immediately before each meal, then two hours after first bite.
If the results are still not in line with your HbA1c then test before and 1,2 and 3 hours after each meal.
This should give you a better indication of what is going on, and if your current testing is missing a peak.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other point is not all food reaches its peak 2 hrs after starting the meal. Some is faster and by 2 hrs you may have missed the highest point or some is slower (especially if there’s a lot of fat involved) and might take 3, 4 or even 5 hrs to reach its peak. That’s why even type 2 sometimes use the libre just a few times to get a better idea of trends. If only doing fingerpricks that’s a lot of pricks though! And not necessary for most foods and even when you do try extended testing each meal will only need it a couple of times to get a good idea of the results.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I share your frustration. I always think my next Hba1c will be lower, but without a cgm, my data recording is too sparse to represent averages. The most useful readings are my waking and bedtime. What I have come to realise is that if my wakings are glucose impaired (5.7 mmol/l - 6.9 mmol/l) my Hba1c ends up being glucose impaired (and a higher average than this - the last one I was averaging 7.3 mmol/l which is 6.3%). If my bedtime reading is greater than 6 mmol/l, I need a late night dog walk else my waking will be greater than 7 mmol/l. The daytime tests are just to see how I'm reacting to meals (before, 2 hours after, 3 hours after, 5 hours after, but I don't do these as much.) Good luck.

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank u all who replied for your inputs
I’m going to do a few more tests in the day to see if there are spikes
Will update in the next few days
Thank u

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank u
I think there is alot more than we all know. I have tested across so many glucose monitors my head is spinning. I have had 2 monitors track with surgery professional units calibrated with a hospital (one tracked perfectly, the other the same as yours was 0.1 higher). I also tested Libres over a 2 year period. In short all showed fbg's of between 3.8 and 4.4, pp's of around 5.6, never a reading of 6 or above. HBA1c's (Ipswich hospital) 38 mmol. Medichecks 35.5 mmol, A1CNow ÷ loads of tests around 31 mmol.

What matters for me is that I know I am not spiking and that I have seen numbers going down on the meters relative to where I started. I come from an alAfro Caribbean, so know there are confounders with the A1c test, and I naturally have a low white blood cell count which can interfere. In short I would ensure you concentrate on your relative performance to a tuned in meter (ask your surgery to test off the same sample of blood).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank u
If you give us an idea of meals we might be able to give some ideas of what’s happening with them and when might be good to check them