What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mmmmmmm rhubarb and ginger jam. My Dad used to make it and a rhubarb and ginger marmalade when I was very little. The marmalade was basically the same as the jam but with all the rhubarb bits strained out and glace root ginger shredded and added in towards the end. A taste of my childhood that I'd completely forgotten about - thank you @DCUKMod :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I've eaten today:

Black coffee and two cubes dark chocolate.

Eggs and cheese from the microwave. A little butter.

Lunch was cold half breast chicken and cheese coleslaw.
Two cubes dark chocolate

I took a bg reading about 3:30pm and surprise/shock because it was 6.5. I am pretty certain it has never been that low since I started taking readings.

I meant to have a little snack, but I forgot, and only just remembered now, 5pm, and it's really too late for me to eat now. I tried a boiled egg, but I had very bad heartburn (yet I can eat boiled eggs earlier in the day absolutely no problem). So I cooked some lardons (bacon bits), and had a spoonful of those. I was absolutely fine with them.

Drinks of hot water, black coffee, coffee with cream, and tea the rest of the day.

>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Greater love have no woman for her man but to consent to jame making when it has never before been tackled. It seems making a mean lemon curd is ace training and it'll be just fine.

Rhubarb and Ginger jam is in it's early stages - in other words, it'll be going on in about 15 minutes.

Of course, in age old styleeee one won't exactly be following a recipe, but it'll either be glorified stewed rhubarb, or a pretty coloured brink in a glass jar.

No sweepstakes please.

Can't WAIT to see results! Flavor combo delicious. Rhubarb has lots of its own pectin I seem to remember, or will you add it? Does pectin have carbs? Are you IPing it? Well, slow cooker-ing it I guess. The scent has already made it to my lizard brain and I am salivating, I kid you not.

Reactions: gennepher

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Today has been/will be:
A walk
Bfast current usual 1/2 avocado, pecans, 3-tbsp recipe cimonomnom CrispieD, DWGoatM, 3 sq 90% choc. (Yesterday's shopping blowout at Rite Aid ( @SaskiaKC do you have them and if so are they changing to Walgreen's soon? Half my store was 70% OFF!!) included two bars Green&Black 88%, 3 ingots of which were added immediately to the menu. More in days to come!)
Lunch will be early first supper before Barre class. Maybe more flax something and a few nuts, or yogurt/pnut butter.
Second supper probably a piece of my hm brown bread either as "bread pudding with olive oil" or slicd carefully and buttered.
And then I have to Stay Away From FOOD!!!!!! Not been doing that well recently. BG's are shaming me for it.
Meanwhile I seem to have dropped and kept off another couple of lbs. it's ok. What I'd really like to do is build some muscle mass. I'm doing such a good job of walking that I could maybe skip a walk in favor of a little in-home weight lifting. Find weights #1 on agenda for that activity. One is propping a door open but where the rest of the collection got to is anybody's guess. Ugh. Cobwebs and spider and cricket droppings involved in search. Yuk.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Today I became rather preoccupied with some 70% lindt in the kitchen cupboard, but didn’t want to stray from carnivory.
So I kept having small meals til I forgot about the choc :D

L1: half portion prawns
L2: half bowl chicken soup
S: lump Wensleydale

At that point I stopped, feeling VERY full. :hilarious:

And now I don’t need any supper. Lol

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - hope everyone has had a good day.
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil handful of nuts and two squares of 100% choc
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and asparagus followed by sf jelly and cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my food today:
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: rollitos, mixed salad and 1 tabsp coleslaw.
Supper: 3 eggs omlette with spinach cooked in butter. Darent go near the chocolate again so if needs be LoCal jelly orchunk of cheese.
2 gin & ST.
Happy days. I dont feel I have gone over the top but maybe I have.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't WAIT to see results! Flavor combo delicious. Rhubarb has lots of its own pectin I seem to remember, or will you add it? Does pectin have carbs? Are you IPing it? Well, slow cooker-ing it I guess. The scent has already made it to my lizard brain and I am salivating, I kid you not.

I used a small lemon juiced, with everything in - pipps included<< they have pectin, wrapped in muslin, for easy extraction..

I used around 500gr rhubarb, a scant cup of sugar (No, I won't be having any), about 100ml water, and the small (it was small) lemon. I also added grated fresh ginger - about grape sized piece, plus chopped stem ginger for later

Lob all the incredients together, the ignore for about an hour, whilst doing other sous chef duties, for dinner prep.

After an hour, get the jam going. Bring to the boil and boil for around 15 minutes, stirring very frequently. Should any scum develop, skim that off. After 15 minutes reduce the heat to a simmer, but keep stirring to prevent the bottom catching.

Have an oooooopsie moment and remember to throw in the chopped stem ginger.

When a drop retains its shape when dropped onto a very cold plate, you're done.

That made about 400gr jam. MrB doesn't eat much jam, although when he has toast or crumpets at brekkers (he mixes up his brekkers choices), he'll have some jam,lemon curd or marmalade on it then, so large quantities are just something else to store.

Later in the rhubarb season I may do some to store for the off-season.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So far, morning coffee with butter and double cream.
Evening meal of 3 rashers of bacon and 3 eggs scrambled in the bacon fat.

I'm going to have apple pie and cream later because it needs eating (bought it over the weekend before I got my latest blood results).
My excuse is that I'm testing to see what effect it has on my BG.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Misread watch so TWAM began earlier than usual. Lemon and ginger tea after swimming. Lunch was double proportions dunnie, butter, 3 egg mayo (trying to make use of our eggs), mackerel in OO and spinach all mixed in a bowl. Mid afternoon was comte and some blackstick blue I found lurking in a fridge. Evening was mixed salad leaves, 4 cherry toms, celery, cucumber and very thinly sliced silverside in h/m mayo.
Miss P arrived safely, mum is tired dad is elated. We have seen lots of pics but will go to deepest, darkest Suffolk to meet Fifi Trixabelle tomorrow:angelic:

Last edited:

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on the new granddaughter @ianpspurs
@Tipetoo glad to hear that you are ironing board free. I have not used one in years. Might have to soon though - one of the downsides of weight loss is that clothes no longer have to stretch and creases are now more visible
Meals today B was coffee with cream
L keto muffins and salad
D steak and roast veg
Just sat down with a coffee before rounding up the dogs for a good brush, they are shedding hair in great piles at the moment.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult over the weekend, in the Brecon Beacons with no phone connection. I did though manage to eat some food, being self catering and all that. However, today, back at home and an opportunity to not only eat something but also to comment upon it.

Brunch - a walk into town and a “light bite breakfast” without the beans, hash browns or toast - that leaves some bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms and one of those insipid, tasteless, tepid half tomatoes, sitting like an unwanted half deflated party balloon on the side of the plate. Koffy was decent though.

Dinner - spag Bol- a home made affair of a beef ragu with a touch of chilli, some spirolised courgette and a big pile of grated parmesan with a side of merlot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo glad to hear that you are ironing board free. I have not used one in years. Might have to soon though - one of the downsides of weight loss is that clothes no longer have to stretch and creases are now more visible
I stopped wearing long sleeve business shirts and trousersa fair while ago, only casual jeans and polo shirts nowadays and they do not need ironing. My partners clothes always look good, dunno how she keeps them crease free either. :D

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Misread watch so TWAM began earlier than usual. Lemon and ginger tea after swimming. Lunch was double proportions dunnie, butter, 3 egg mayo (trying to make use of our eggs), mackerel in OO and spinach all mixed in a bowl. Mid afternoon was comte and some blackstick blue I found lurking in a fridge. Evening was mixed salad leaves, 4 cherry toms, celery, cucumber and very thinly sliced silverside in h/m mayo.
Miss P arrived safely, mum is tired dad is elated. We have seen lots of pics but will go to deepest, darkest Suffolk to meet Fifi Trixabelle tomorrow:angelic:
Congratulations and enjoy your visit to see the new one

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the time we had two ironing boards, my one and my partners when she moved in with me.

Just to calm any uneasiness about them we do not have one now.

You redeemed yourself.

Rumour has it we have an inroning board and iron in this house, but my OH has sole, unchallenged custody. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over carbonara made from Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Montezuma with orange and cacao nibs :hungry: