Does Tresiba actually work?

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys,
I recently switched from Lantus to Tresiba due to the amount of hypos I’ve been getting. However ever since I started on Tresiba about 2 months ago I wake up most morning with really high blood levels between 15 - 20 mml. I always check my levels before I go to bed and most of the time they are between 5 - 8 mml. However there are certain days where I wake up with normal glucose levels. I take 12 units of Tresiba at night between 9 to 10 pm, and I tend to not eat anything after 6pm so it doesn’t affect my levels at night. For example this morning my blood level was 20.1 when I woke up but before I went to bed last night it was 6.4. And yesterday when I woke up my it was 5.2 and it was 7.1 before going to sleep. I took 12 units of Tresiba both days. I pretty much eat the same type of food so I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I’m really confused, do you guys think I should just go back to taking Lantus, or are there are better long acting insulin out there that would be better suited for me?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried changing pen or vial sometimes you get a rogue batch .how are your levels through out the rest of the day also another issue might be injection site i inject my tresiba into bottom hope you get sorted x

Reactions: kitedoc

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rotate my sites and have changed the pens several times. I make a correction before I have my breakfast and by lunch time my blood levels are back to normal.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Lantus to Tresiba last year and certainly found it works, however when I swapped I was told to drop the amount I injected compared to Lantus, which I did.
However I found that my BSL went up much more than I wanted so slowly started to push the dosage up to a point where I'm now at the same amount if not a little more than I was with Lantus.

I think @karen8967 is on less than she was, but as we're all different it might either having a word with your DSN or experimenting. Not this only personal experience and I'm not medically trained.
Hi knikki im on the same dose as i was lantus now and again i have to drop half a unit x

StephenMM

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running
Hi Amina9191,
I have changed my basal insulin three times now (I'm currently on Levemir Detemir) and on each occasion my BG levels went haywire but after 6 days or so I found I was back in control at dosages very close to the previous insulin type. I think the various different insulins have slightly different chemistry and the body takes time to adapt to the new formula.
My problem is that I sometimes experience the 'Dawn Phenomenon' which means I could go to sleep at 5 or 6 mmol/l and wake up at 15 mmol/l. Other times I experience hardly any change overnight. Weird ...

Reactions: kitedoc and Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi guys,
I recently switched from Lantus to Tresiba due to the amount of hypos I’ve been getting. However ever since I started on Tresiba about 2 months ago I wake up most morning with really high blood levels between 15 - 20 mml. I always check my levels before I go to bed and most of the time they are between 5 - 8 mml. However there are certain days where I wake up with normal glucose levels. I take 12 units of Tresiba at night between 9 to 10 pm, and I tend to not eat anything after 6pm so it doesn’t affect my levels at night. For example this morning my blood level was 20.1 when I woke up but before I went to bed last night it was 6.4. And yesterday when I woke up my it was 5.2 and it was 7.1 before going to sleep. I took 12 units of Tresiba both days. I pretty much eat the same type of food so I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I’m really confused, do you guys think I should just go back to taking Lantus, or are there are better long acting insulin out there that would be better suited for me?

Hi, I was on Levemir until July 2018, then changed to Tresiba and my dose was 8 units. It worked very well in the beginning, great numbers, but I wasn't eating much as I was previously in hospital. After a few months, it went up to 9 units, then 10, which was the same amount I was taking on Levemir and I still take 10 units in the morning.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I switched from Lantus to Tresiba last year and certainly found it works, however when I swapped I was told to drop the amount I injected compared to Lantus, which I did.
However I found that my BSL went up much more than I wanted so slowly started to push the dosage up to a point where I'm now at the same amount if not a little more than I was with Lantus.

I think @karen8967 is on less than she was, but as we're all different it might either having a word with your DSN or experimenting. Not this only personal experience and I'm not medically trained.

Near enough the same as you @Knikki I started on 8 units and now on 10, same dose as I was on Levemir.

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys,
I haven’t heard of Tresiba? Is it new? I am taking humalog, Teujeo & Trulicity