The perils of complacency (I think). T2 long term.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Warning! Long post!

For a few years i have been following(ish) LCHF. Not massively strictly, but generally not many refined carbohydrates and mainly protein, fat and vegetables. Occasional BG tests looked reasonable, and Ketone testing showed that I was generally in ketosis at around 1.9.

At my annual review on 18th September 2018 my DSN said that because of my excellent control (HbA1c of 6.4%) I should consider cutting back on the Metformin from 3 * 500mg to 2. This because my eGFR is low and Metformin doesn't help kidney filtration.

I wasn't quite as enthusiastic at describing 6.4% as excellent control but I assume that compared to others it wasn't too shabby.

Cue a confusing few months, with lots of personal upheaval, where I cam completely off Metformin to give myself a true baseline and where I couldn't get an HbA1c test when I was near my local surgery because I was within the 3 month window since my last test and so resorted to using A1CNow home test kit.
On 14/12/2018 this gave me a result of 64 mmol/mol or 8.0%.
Immediately back on the 3 * 500mg Metformin, and a resolution to cross check the A1CNow test result against a standard blood draw next time I had a test.

I thought I was back on the rails again, and when I had blood drawn on 7/5/2019 I also tested using A1CNow and got a result of 43 mmol/mol or 6.1% which was very cheering.

However over the weekend I got a call from the surgery wanting me to make an appointment to come in and see them a.s.a.p.; I would normally have had an appointment already set up but our long term DSN had just moved away from the practice and there wasn't a replacement. Getting back from my weekend away I checked my latest results on line and my HbA1C was 7.2% or 55.2 mmol/mol. This was a shock, to say the least! This equates to an average finger prick test of 8.9 mmol/L.

Up to that point I had thought that I could "cheat" a little with the occasional piece of bread or a roll, or something else a bit carby, because my overall carbohydrate intake was still low in the great scheme of things.

My first testing started with a reading of 5.3 at 14:00 after having bullet resistant coffee at 08:30.
That looks pretty normal.
Had a Waitrose pain rustique brown roll with three chipolata (99% pork) sausages.
Two hours later, 10.9. What?
Three hours later, 10.1. Double What?
Four hours later, after riding my bike around for a bit setting up a new saddle it was down to 6.1. However 4 hours to come back down? Something not right.

Next day FBG 8.6.
Nearly 3 hours later, still fasting, 8.2.
2.5 hours after BPC it was down to 6.5.

Sipping beer (well, weekend away) and a couple of hours later it was up to 7.1.
Sausages without the roll and two hours later 7.3.
So (obviously) it was the roll.

Evening meal - didn't test before hand but 2 hours after a lasagne with salad BG was 8.1 (I assume that it started around the 7 mark).

Monday; FBG 7.8, 4.5 hours later after BPC down to 6.6. This test just before I ate.
Half a Waitrose white roll with pate.
2 hours later 11.6.
3 hours after eating 7.4. About to eat evening meal.
2 hours after steak and tomatoes down to 6.3.

What this seems to illustrate is that I have far less tolerance of refined carbohydrates, especially bread, than I fondly thought. However I do seem to cope reasonably well with lowish carbohydrate meals such as lasagne.

Oh, and I tested my ketones and they came back 0.5 so I'm not really in ketosis at the moment.

From this short and scary bit of testing I conclude that I shouldn't be complacent and allow myself little treats but I should redo some food testing to see what works for me now.

I think my first aim should probably be to get back into dietary ketosis and get rid of the glucose store which (I assume) is keeping my background BG up in the 6s and 7s.

Noting that my last good HbA1c at 6.4% equated to an average finger prick test of 7.6 so perhaps I have been running at this level in the past and failing to match the HbA1c to average finger prick test.

Anyway, they have a locum DSN visiting occasionally and I am booked in next week for a chat.

Meanwhile I need to get my BG under much better control. I might have a short fast to see if I can kick start ketosis, as well.

The most disappointing aspect is that the A1CNow test was nowhere near the laboratory test. Others have found them good, and I can't be certain that I did the test exactly right although the meter reported that the test was OK. I was hoping to use this perhaps 3 monthly just to keep an eye on things, but it is very expensive to test against the laboratory results and I don't fancy bulk buying if the product isn't any good.

Edit: forgot to say that I weigh myself every day and my weight has been stable although slightly higher than I would wish. I assumed that no weight gain meant no surplus carbohydrates to turn into fat. I also assumed that because I could ride 20 miles on just coffee, cream and butter that I was long term keto adapted. Complacent.:banghead:

D

Deleted Account

@LittleGreyCat as weird as you may think, I read your post as positive. Sure it's not great that you have taken a step off the gas but great that you have realised and back to learning about your body again. It's like I say - having diabetes is not great but being diagnosed with diabetes is brilliant because it gives you chance to do something about it.

I wanted to add a small note of caution for your future: you mentioned the lasagne did not have a big impact after two hours. In my experience (and I realise I am only a sample of one), I find pasta, especially when served with a cheesy sauce as I expect you had in your lasagne, the fat from the cheese significantly delays the absorption of the carbs. In my case, I can see my BG rise due to pasta and a fatty sauce 5 or 6 hours after eating it.

Good luck (although I know it is not all about luck) in your diabetes management from now on.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thank you for your post. Complacency is indeed our enemy. It is a pity that you found the A1cnow kit lacking which does prove a point though, regular testing with a bg monitor can flag up trends sooner than the 3/6/12 monthly tests.
You have brought us a valuable lesson, T2 is a creepy little sod that can can lurk in the background like dry rot in a skirting board so we have to poke it with a stick now and again to make sure exactly what it is doing!

Reactions: HSSS

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb creep.
Oh yeah, I know it sooo well.
Gets us all, sooner or later.

Congrats on recognising what has happened, and buckling down again.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just to add that today I had bullet resistant coffee first thing, rode my bike for over an hour early afternoon, and at 17:10 still without anything to eat my BG was 6.6.
That is one big body store of glucose.
Out for a longer ride tomorrow (regular Wednesday social ride) so I shall see what my BG is after that.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kate Caldesi has successfully made lasagne from spinach, eggs and a bit of psyllium husk, the recipe is in the book they recently published.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
As stated above you have realised fairly quickly that something wasn't working as planned. I am lucky because I am now able to use a CGM which shows that I have my bg down to a 7 day average of less than 6.9. I also try to keep my bg within a range of 5.0 to 8.5 including after meals. I also find that anything with refined flour, including pasta, and anything with starch has an immediate and high effect on my bg that can last for a several hours instead of just a couple for other carbs. But we are all different and not only do we react differently to diet, exercise, medication etc., each of us may react differently to the same thing on different days. I do a lot of weight lifting for my exercise and sometimes my bg goes up, sometimes down and sometimes it stays the same. At the moment it seems that the only 'true' measure of our condition is the A1C. My next test is due in about 2 weeks and I am hoping for under 6.0%. This does not mean cured. It does mean I have 'forced' my body into a new metabolic state where the insulin I do produce is enough to keep my glucose levels at non-diabetic levels for most of the time. You don't mention your weight but on the low carb diet (not LCHF) I have lost nearly 30 lbs with no change to the ability of my pancreas to stimulate my liver to release glucose. I still get the dawn phenomenon, I never get hypo because my bg levels increase immediately if below 5.0 even without food. I am now 162 lbs at 5 ft. 10 in. I feel great and neighbours say I am looking better than I have for a long time.

Set yourself a specific carb goal and try to stay closely to it. See what the bg result is and then reduce further those foods that have the worst bg effect.

Once at the A1C/bg level I want, I may then allow myself the very occasional higher carb treat. Until then very little pasta, potato, beer etc. I do not want to go back to insulin and/or 5 different drugs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
6 foot tall, 172 lbs at the moment.
I would like to get down to around 161 lbs for my ideal weight.

Reactions: Stephen Lewis

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
6 foot tall, 172 lbs at the moment.
I would like to get down to around 161 lbs for my ideal weight.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes