What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm afraid my trip has been cancelled, as Mr B woke up this morning with significant deterioration of his vision (massive bend in his only good eye). This has brought back all the trauma of last summer and he is convinced he is stuck with this. I've managed to bring forward out appointment at the eye hospital to tomorrow, thankfully. He's not in a good way at all, still in bed and refusing to eat. I suspect he may have PTSD following everything that happened last year, in addition to his usual anxiety and mental health issues. Sorry to derail the threat, but I think am in need of more kind words to get me through. xx

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm afraid my trip has been cancelled, as Mr B woke up this morning with significant deterioration of his vision (massive bend in his only good eye). This has brought back all the trauma of last summer and he is convinced he is stuck with this. I've managed to bring forward out appointment at the eye hospital to tomorrow, thankfully. He's not in a good way at all, still in bed and refusing to eat. I suspect he may have PTSD following everything that happened last year, in addition to his usual anxiety and mental health issues. Sorry to derail the threat, but I think am in need of more kind words to get me through. xx
Both you and Mr B always sound to me like proper troopers supporting each other through the vicissitudes of diabetic and non diabetic life. No doubt it will be a tough period so I wish you both well. If anyone can, the Bs can:)

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both you and Mr B always sound to me like proper troopers supporting each other through the vicissitudes of diabetic and non diabetic life. No doubt it will be a tough period so I wish you both well. If anyone can, the Bs can:)
Thank you. I think I might have something in my eye. I'm hopeful that this is due to them starting to space out treatment and the injections will do their magic. Keep everything crossed for us. x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@BibaBee

Oh, how awful for both you and Mr B. I'm sending a huge *hug* and positive thoughts your way. x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More of a what will you eat other days post but you guys know your non carby onions. So fbg was 5.8 and ketones .8 around 6.30. TWAM, hr ish dog walk, water and test about 4hrs after last tea and 1 hr+ after dog walk. Ketones now .6 and bg 6.2. My theory is my body is highly entrepreneurial and obligingly helps me out now my IF+ LC has reduced me to 17% body fat. Lunch will be 2 x double proportion dunnies, butter, comte and mullered avo then test in 2 hrs - bg only. Evening meal will be Essential mixed leaf salad with h/m mayo and chicken thighs when taking supplies to the new parents and seeing their daughter. Does it sound as though I need to think about brekkie or brunch to stop the inexorable rise? TIA

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh BibaBee I’m so sorry to hear this, how horrible for you both but thank goodness youwere able to bring his appointment forward. I’m keeping everything crossed for you.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So far, morning coffee with butter and double cream.
Evening meal of 3 rashers of bacon and 3 eggs scrambled in the bacon fat.

I'm going to have apple pie and cream later because it needs eating (bought it over the weekend before I got my latest blood results).
My excuse is that I'm testing to see what effect it has on my BG.

Ha ha <expletive deleted> ha!

Fell asleep early, before the 22:00 test, but woke up at around 01:35 and my BG was 12.6.

So that test was conspicuously failed.

Today so far, bullet resistant coffee and a long bike ride with a pause for a large Americano. BG at 14:00 is 6.2 so I don't seem to be burning through my glucose store just yet. Fasting was 8.3.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More of a what will you eat other days post but you guys know your non carby onions. So fbg was 5.8 and ketones .8 around 6.30. TWAM, hr ish dog walk, water and test about 4hrs after last tea and 1 hr+ after dog walk. Ketones now .6 and bg 6.2. My theory is my body is highly entrepreneurial and obligingly helps me out now my IF+ LC has reduced me to 17% body fat. Lunch will be 2 x double proportion dunnies, butter, comte and mullered avo then test in 2 hrs - bg only. Evening meal will be Essential mixed leaf salad with h/m mayo and chicken thighs when taken supplies to the new parents and seeing their daughter. Does it sound as though I need to think about brekkie or brunch to stop the inexorable rise? TIA

I don’t know but it sounds a likely theory. Why not give it a go and see what happens? Why are you still doing omad - is it solely for bg control?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished eating for today so a nice early post.
B: Kipper, flaxseed bun and butter. CWC
L:: Crustless bacon and mushroom quiche ( which DD bizarrely calls breakfast casserole) followed by sf jelly, extra thick cream and a bit of Montezuma’s grated on top.
Walking into town soon so might stop for CWC but otherwise next meal will be tomorrow dinner. This IF does seem to be helping bring bg into line.
@ianpspurs have fun visiting your new granddaughter.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh BibaBee I’m so sorry to hear this, how horrible for you both but thank goodness youwere able to bring his appointment forward. I’m keeping everything crossed for you.
Thank you. All the more cruel, as he has been so much better recently. He's been back in the studio writing music and generally feeling more settled. Why is it that life has a habit of throwing these curve balls when we are just getting back on track!? So cruel!

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know but it sounds a likely theory. Why not give it a go and see what happens? Why are you still doing omad - is it solely for bg control?
More 2MAD but I don't have a scooby what to do at/for breakfast despite having oodles of eggs. I have enough problems right now thinking up 2 meals per day I might enjoy without adding a 3rd. I have added some new foods, or reintroduced ones from earlier, lately, and it hasn't been wholly unpleasant. I was/am hoping June results mark the end of this phase of the project. I am relatively content with most other markers apart from bg. We shall see.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More 2MAD but I don't have a scooby what to do at/for breakfast despite having oodles of eggs. I have enough problems right now thinking up 2 meals per day I might enjoy without at 3rd. I have added some new foods, or reintroduced ones from earlier, lately and it hasn't been wholly unpleasant.
If I remember right you're quite keen on Greek yoghurt and rhubarb.....that would be a lovely breakfast.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I remember right you're quite keen on Greek yoghurt and rhubarb.....that would be a lovely breakfast.
Oddly enough, add in some flaxseed, and that was about where I started nearly 4 yrs ago. For about 2/3 yrs I always had breakfast really not a fan anymore but it may be my body is giving me a message. I do know bulletproof coffee will never be back on my menu nor cream in tea. Could maybe go some kind of shake/smoothie sometimes - whey protein, sans sweetener, with nut milk and mayhap almond butter well hidden in there, or GK yog and raspberries in the smoothie?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly enough, add in some flaxseed, and that was about where I started nearly 4 yrs ago. For about 2/3 yrs I always had breakfast but no big fan anymore but it may be my body is giving me a message.

I was going to suggest yogurt too. But remember breakfast doesn’t have to be a typical breakfast food. If you enjoy your salad have that for breakfast as well.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
More 2MAD but I don't have a scooby what to do at/for breakfast despite having oodles of eggs. I have enough problems right now thinking up 2 meals per day I might enjoy without at 3rd. I have added some new foods, or reintroduced ones from earlier, lately and it hasn't been wholly unpleasant. I was/am hoping June results mark the end of this phase of phase of the project. I am relatively content with most other markers apart from bg. We shall see.

It does sound rather like a touch of Dawn Phenomenon. I get it and really go high (double digits) if I don't have breakfast. Ideally it needs to be a bit of protein with fat, so how about some cheese or egg mayo (boiling eggs the day before) on dunnies?

Could someone point me in the direct of the recipe for these dunnies (I'm hoping it doesn't involve microwaves as mine is more than a bit temperamental at the moment).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to suggest yogurt too. But remember breakfast doesn’t have to be a typical breakfast food. If you enjoy your salad have that for breakfast as well.
You just want me to turn into the Michelin man all this breakfast malarkey. The lightly boiled egg inside an avo wrapped in bacon is spiffing but mayhap a rare treat Catweasel.

Reactions: Chook

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does sound rather like a touch of Dawn Phenomenon. I get it and really go high (double digits) if I don't have breakfast. Ideally it needs to be a bit of protein with fat, so how about some cheese or egg mayo (boiling eggs the day before) on dunnies?

Could someone point me in the direct of the recipe for these dunnies (I'm hoping it doesn't involve microwaves as mine is more than a bit temperamental at the moment).
The bad news is microwaves are involved although I guess an oven or grill could be used. 2 tsps flaxseed to equal quantity of water, spread on baking parchment or similar and zap on full for 2 mins - we do for 4 or 8 for biggies - then leave to go crisp.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. All the more cruel, as he has been so much better recently. He's been back in the studio writing music and generally feeling more settled. Why is it that life has a habit of throwing these curve balls when we are just getting back on track!? So cruel!

I agree it seems to happen like that - as soon as you feel comfortable with the way life is panning out, something unexpected or unwanted seems to happen. It must be hard trying to be strong for both of you but hang on in there and you will get through it.