Why did this meal raise my BG?

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a lunch of cheesy bake (about 1 cup cauliflower, 1 cup broccoli, in a cheese sauce) with about 1 cup of kale on the side. My blood glucose shot up from 5.4 - 12.3.

All I can think is maybe the cheese sauce had flour in it? I got it from my work canteen so I don't know all the ingredients. It seems like it would take a LOT of flour to cause that big of an increase though...

Is there something else I'm missing? I know my basal dose is correct.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese sauces are often very high in carbs when ready made... And you probably don't know what else they added to the dish.

Reactions: 1spuds

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's a canteen meal it will most definitely be made with flour and milk as these are far cheaper than cream etc, also the cheese would probably be pre grated so will more than likely have some sort of starch to stop it clumping. Plus the few carbs in the veg - not saying don't eat veg but they do have carbs that have to be factored in - as a educated guess you meal was probably 30g carb plus.

Don't worry it happens to all of us :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bet it was a dried cheese sauce that is probably flavoured flour with skimmed milk powder, sugar and thickeners

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bet it was a dried cheese sauce that is probably flavoured flour with skimmed milk powder, sugar and thickeners

Thankfully it won't have been that bad. :) The food is high-quality and cooked from scratch, but I bet it did have milk to bulk it out then flour to thicken it. I just heard "cheese" and didn't engage my brain beyond that!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That sounds disgusting!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds disgusting!

It’s pretty standard food that comes out of a packet. You should see what’s in fake meat burgers.
Ice cream is pretty awful too.