Going back a few years!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed age 6 in 97 so there were more people aware by the time I was diagnosed and I was sent home with a blood kid. They were not that common on the NHS for those with good control who didn't ask questions though. Both my aunt and mum (at that time t1 33 & 21 years respectively) were stunned at my new gadget and demanded one too.

Hi,

I got my first personal BG meter around 1986.? I remember the feeling when I could ditch the pee testing. Felt like "Star trek." :)

Reactions: Dodo

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1966 aged 12 for me. I agree with all the comments made previously about glass syringes, Clinitest tablets. Treatment has improved vastly since then, although a cure seems to be just as far away as it ever was (I was told a possible cure would be found within 10 years but am still waiting). One thing that hasn't changed is that very few people know what being a diabetic means, unless someone in their life is affected by it.

Reactions: Jantib

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
Hi @Emirp. WOW 68 years type 1. I feel like a newbie now :)
I was diagnosed Feb 1971. No one knew what "sugar diabetes" was then. Teachers in school didn't have a clue, now that worked to my advantage. Will never forget testing my pee OR the 1 1/2" needles which had to last forever!!!!! Was never allowed on school trips as no one wanted to take responsibility for me! Until my mother went to my high school and told them that I could look after myself and they gave in as long as me and my mother signed a waiver.......oh how easy newly diagnosed have got it now :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Got a 1001 stories to tell :)

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
Hi. I was diagnosed in 1972 when I was 34, so immediately I was a Type 2. After I lost weight at an alarming rate I was put on insulin and here I am today at 81, I am reasonably well controlled but struggle with my morning readings now and then. Originally I had a test tube and a tablet to find out whether my blood sugar was high, medium or negative, and then given blood meters. Haven't got a flash monitor yet but I will keep on fighting for it. They still considet me a Type 2 (5 injections a day,plus of course 5 tests before meals. When will they learn! .

Reactions: porl69

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 1963 aged 4. All I can remember is drinking from a tap, being rushed into the Children's Hospital. My mum practised injecting on an orange. I gave myself my first injection when I was 5, it was a scary time. I've seen a lot of changes and most of them for the better. I remember our neighbours saying "she'll grow out of it" , that was a common response to sugar diabetes as it was known then. Oh the good old days ha ha ha

Jantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thought I would add a little more to the comments i made previously concerning my 68 years with type 1 diabetes. When I was first diagnosed very few people had even heard of the complaint, it was referred to as Sugar Diabetes and most thought it was caused through eating too much sugary foodstuff. There was very little awareness in schools and the general public had no idea of the condition. Had I had a hypo at school or whilst playing outdoors very few, other than family or close friends, would have known what to do. School personel were unfamiliar with the condition, no on site nurses in those days. I knew no one in my school or neighbourhood with either type 1 or type 2 condition until my GP contacted me regarding a local boy, some years my junior, was diagnosed. The doctor asked if I would meet with this lad and his mother to offer support and advice.
I would love to hear how other Type 1 sufferers got on in the early days, did they have any similar problems. What now is the percentage of population with a type 1 condition and how has that number change since the 1950?

Jantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thought I would add a little more to the comments i made previously concerning my 68 years with type 1 diabetes. When I was first diagnosed very few people had even heard of the complaint, it was referred to as Sugar Diabetes and most thought it was caused through eating too much sugary foodstuff. There was very little awareness in schools and the general public had no idea of the condition. Had I had a hypo at school or whilst playing outdoors very few, other than family or close friends, would have known what to do. School personel were unfamiliar with the condition, no on site nurses in those days. I knew no one in my school or neighbourhood with either type 1 or type 2 condition until my GP contacted me regarding a local boy, some years my junior, was diagnosed. The doctor asked if I would meet with this lad and his mother to offer support and advice.
I would love to hear how other Type 1 sufferers got on in the early days, did they have any similar problems. What now is the percentage of population with a type 1 condition and how has that number change since the 1950?

Jantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi there - guess you are just a few years behind me - diagnosed in 1948 at age 5. Similarconditions applied as your own experience. if you look up my posts you will find one which gives a lot of detail of my childhood - like you no one else knew about of had the 'challenge' and I gradually learnt my ownbody's re\ctions to unexpected exxercise - see post on keeling over in school. teachers knew nothing and did nothing about it except that as I went to a convent school whereas kids who did well at lazing about,the ones tlazing around their lessions were rewarded with a Smartie litle old me got yet another 'holy card' - much encouragement :-(. I learnt aa lot about my personal diabetes and married - against my doctors advice at the age of 20 - did not think the excitment would do me a lot of good. I also went ahead with having two children - luckly by them it has been proven that caeserian births oftenmeant the child would survive rather than be born dead. both they and my subsequent grandchildrne are fine.I contined with an active life hiking mountain walking etc raised the kids, with 8 years years off work to give them a stable childhood, then worked full time to 62, and then parg time to 65. I had a number of different employments some very interesting and at nearly 77 still very active mentally/academically and ballroom dancing etc. I did no blood tests until the '80s when my consultant at first did not encourageme to have as he thought I was ok without them. I passed my driving test beforethe diabetics special guidlines and more or less had a pretty good life. Yes, I learnt by hard experience but I managed :)

Reactions: Dodo

Emirp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dull, uninspiring people.
Hi to you all. Just to let you know that I’m still about & thriving after what is now 73 years dealing with my T1 diabetes. Recently been issued with the Libre2 sensor kit and finding it a great comfort especially at night time. I can now rest, and so can my wife, knowing that should my blood sugar drop I will get a clear warning. Still quite active, regular walks, at a good pace, gardening and the usual house maintenance. No restrictions on what I eat, all within reason, though a good selection of vegetables and I swear by an almost daily intake of Broccoli. All limbs functioning well, though I do get the occasional twinge, more to do with lying awkward in bed than age I tell myself.
Hope all you other old timers are keeping fit and well, be positive in all aspects of life.

Reactions: Marikev and KennyA

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fascinating to read these accounts from peeps of my generation who have coped and lived with T1 most of their lives. Such changes in the paraphernalia needed. I just ‘celebrated’ my first year of being diagnosed, at age 68 and had the experience of the medical staff in hospital assuming I was an ‘old hand’ and knew perfectly well how to finger stick and do insulin jabs.
When I went to the hospital pharmacy to collect a glucose monitor the pharmacist asked which model I preferred? Huh? There are different models? Never had one before!
As I lay in the emergency room having a goodly dose of insulin shot into me and being told I would have to take insulin for the rest of my life I can remember being grateful I hadn’t been diagnosed at a younger age with decades of insulin shots ahead of me.
I have friends who are T2 who were astonished at how quickly I was diagnosed. Having lived with one of the T2 friends I had an idea of what foods were carb heavy and light, so have managed to get through my first year of being Type 1 with not too many problems.