Laser eye treatment

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, new to the group, just wondered if anyone else found laser eye treatment for retinopathy really painful?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have you experienced it or asking in general?

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you experienced it or asking in general?
Hi, yes I had my first session of 6 yesterday, everything I had read had implied it wasn’t painful, but I found it extremely painful, when the laser hit certain parts of my eye I really flinched, it was just like when they hit a nerve at the dentist, also my eye watered constantly so at times I couldn’t really see where to look. The reason i’m Asking is I have just read (Dr Google) that it becomes more painful the more sessions you have .

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @hwhiting I had loads of laser treatment years ago. I found it very uncomfortable but not really painful. My eyes watered a LOT. As for more sessions, it was pretty much the same. Speak to whoever is doing the laser next time and let them know. Good luck

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, yes I had my first session of 6 yesterday, everything I had read had implied it wasn’t painful, but I found it extremely painful, when the laser hit certain parts of my eye I really flinched, it was just like when they hit a nerve at the dentist, also my eye watered constantly so at times I couldn’t really see where to look. The reason i’m Asking is I have just read (Dr Google) that it becomes more painful the more sessions you have .

Hi, yes I found it very, very painful. I think it depends on where in your eye they are performing the laser treatment, and not only on the individual person’s pain level. I have had various sessions, only one where the pain was just about bearable, it did get more painful as I had more treatments , the last two were the absolute worst. Although I’ve heard from lots of people who didn’t have much pain at all,
I think that your description of it feeling like the dentist hitting a nerve is so accurate. I also had the constant eye watering.
Hope you have better luck next time. ☘️
Try to get your blood sugar levels as stable as possible and you might be lucky enough not to need all six of the sessions.
Good luck! ☘️☘️☘️

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hwhiting I had loads of laser treatment years ago. I found it very uncomfortable but not really painful. My eyes watered a LOT. As for more sessions, it was pretty much the same. Speak to whoever is doing the laser next time and let them know. Good luck
Thank you for replying, it was uncomfortable but at times it hit certain part of my eye it was like hitting a nerve, good to know about the eye watering though, I felt so silly. Did the laser work for you? X

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes I found it very, very painful. I think it depends on where in your eye they are performing the laser treatment, and not only on the individual person’s pain level. I have had various sessions, only one where the pain was just about bearable, it did get more painful as I had more treatments , the last two were the absolute worst. Although I’ve heard from lots of people who didn’t have much pain at all,
I think that your description of it feeling like the dentist hitting a nerve is so accurate. I also had the constant eye watering.
Hope you have better luck next time. ☘️
Try to get your blood sugar levels as stable as possible and you might be lucky enough not to need all six of the sessions.
Good luck! ☘️☘️☘️
Thank you for this, I just started to think I was the only person who had found it painful, I hope I can tolerate it as it goes on, I think I had imagined it was going to be like when you have a scan on you eye or something. Don’t get me wrong I am very grateful to be having the treatment and as it was painful it had really motivated me to keep my sugars down, cut out carbs etc, sometimes it just can feel so over whelming 24 hours a day. You don’t know how much I value finally getting onto the forum and being able to talk to people who really understand what it feels like, just to be heard and understood. X

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you for replying, it was uncomfortable but at times it hit certain part of my eye it was like hitting a nerve, good to know about the eye watering though, I felt so silly. Did the laser work for you? X
Unfortunately not. I am blind in my left eye....Trying to think back on how long ago it was, would say around 19 years ago! My own fault for not looking after my diabetes!